Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Late 24th century Starfleet ships! [Picard $$$] (Page 1)

This topic comprises 10 pages: 1  2  3  4  ...  8  9  10   
Author Topic: Late 24th century Starfleet ships! [Picard $$$]
Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The latest trailer, as well as showing what appears to be a dream sequence on Ten Forward, gives us a view of what appear to be futuristic Starfleet vessels.

-

First thoughts: quite a radical departure? The saucer remains, but now an angular trapezoid with forward-sweeping canards. No visible nacelles, instead there seems to be a central spine with a double glowing line. There seems to be a stepped section with lights in pointing aft - impulse engines?

If I understand it correctly, in the future novels Starfleet has slipstream technology (the Vesta-class uses it I think?) and parts of this design make me think of the USS Dauntless.

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It looks like a stingray, though I can't tell if that's a tail, or just streaks of light left behind because of its motion.
Lee
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A bit of both. There is definitely a tail, I think.

Those lights across the rear must be windows, I think. There’s another of these ships visible in profile in the bottom right hand corner of the image, and it appears to have an underslung deflector dish - and suggests the presumably bridge hump in top isn’t actually that high or prominent. I think I can detect traces of the Akira- and I]Saber-[/I]classes in its lineage.

There are also at least four or five of these vessels visible in the sequence, flying in close formation, almost swarming, which implies some significant changes in tactics over the decades.

--------------------

Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

- posted      Profile for Dukhat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We’ve actually seen those ships before in the first trailer, attacking that space station thing and shooting phaser beams on a planet’s surface. They just never had Starfleet pennants until now. And what looks like glowing “tails” is actually the front of the ship.

--------------------
"A film made in 2008 isn't going to look like a TV series from 1966 if it wants to make any money. As long as the characters act the same way, and the spirit of the story remains the same then it's "real" Star Trek. Everything else is window dressing." -StCoop

Lee
Member # 393

What? No they aren’t. In the latest trailer, where I capped this image from, they’re flying from right to left on the screen. A red phaser bean fires from the nose of the main ship in the image.

--------------------

Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

- posted      Profile for Dukhat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lee:
What? No they aren’t. In the latest trailer, where I capped this image from, they’re flying from right to left on the screen. A red phaser bean fires from the nose of the main ship in the image.

Just watched the trailers again, and, well, heck, you are correct. Not sure why I thought they were flying backward... [Confused]

However, I also noticed that the front of the ship seems to have been modified from the DSC Section 31 drone ship:

https://bbts1.azureedge.net/images/p/full/2019/11/fb168514-7f12-4503-b235-0467d5f4a867.jpg

I hope this doesn't mean that they are 24th century Section 31 ships... [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
"A film made in 2008 isn't going to look like a TV series from 1966 if it wants to make any money. As long as the characters act the same way, and the spirit of the story remains the same then it's "real" Star Trek. Everything else is window dressing." -StCoop

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Not sure why I thought they were flying backward..."

Probably because of the shape. They look like they have airplane wings on them, but they're swept forward instead of backward.

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Awful.

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

Lee
Member # 393

The shape says “fighter” but the detailing says “small/mid-size starship.” Apart from the humongous Starfleet emblem.

--------------------

Lee
Member # 393

A few more images from some of the recent trailers.

-

-

-

--------------------

Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

quote:
Originally posted by Lee:
A few more images from some of the recent trailers.

-

-

-

Unfortunately, the Short Trek “Children of Mars” shows both the DSC Magee and Tug classes as brand-new late 24th century starships built for the Romulan rescue armada (or at least that’s how I’m interpreting the scene.)

--------------------

Lee
Member # 393

No visible Starfleet logos on these ships seen in "Children of Mars" - and while there are similar shots in CoM to the image at the top of this page (these ships attacking some sort of large space station) none are identical. So it could be these "Rogue Synths" use or have commandeered Starfleet ships and removed the badges. or maybe following the attack, Starfleet's examples of this class were prominently badged to differentiate them.

But as for the UP footage with a 150yr-old Magee-class, I mean, ffs. You have to wonder whether they're really even bothering anymore...

--------------------

o2
Member # 907

- posted      Profile for o2     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was so naive to think that ST:P would stick to the canon ships from their timeline... But now the producers are mixing (visually) the prime universe with the one from DSC. Of course there could be a reason why 23rd century ships are still around in the 24th century. But I would have expected the TOS or TNG ships (or complete new ones) and not the ones from DSC... Yes, yes, the real world explanation is that the producers have access to the 3D models of those ships, but not to the ones from TOS, TNG or DS9. Still very disappointing.
Lee
Member # 393

Thinking some more about the images above, it’s obvious they’re all from the same sequences - so whether the ships are labelled as Starfleet or not depends on where they’re being used. It would be really awful if this was actually Picard footage, depicting some other attack entirely, but being f ripped off just to provide some footage for CoM. It’s like all the battle scenes from “Sacrifice of Angels” being recycled for the DS9 finale.

--------------------

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The mind boggles at how onerous it used to be to get screenshots.

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

This topic comprises 10 pages: 1  2  3  4  ...  8  9  10   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps