Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Late 24th century Starfleet ships! [Picard $$$] (Page 4)

This topic comprises 10 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10   
Author Topic: Late 24th century Starfleet ships! [Picard $$$]
Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

- posted      Profile for Dukhat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No, the Curiosity class was the class of the ibn Majid, not these ships.

--------------------
"A film made in 2008 isn't going to look like a TV series from 1966 if it wants to make any money. As long as the characters act the same way, and the spirit of the story remains the same then it's "real" Star Trek. Everything else is window dressing." -StCoop

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"A beaut"? Nah, guy, these things are ugly af & look like the cheap mass-produced retreads they probably are.

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Weirdly enough, Wes has screencapped almost exactly the same parts I did!

Looking at this fleet, I though to myself “multi-vector assault mode.” Or perhaps “swarming technology” would be better. It’s becoming very much a thing in military AI research. Like the Prometheus only massively scaled up, and without the need for any centralised control like that ship presumably had - each component of the swarm acts independently in response to the environment and what the other components do, exactly as in nature - murmurations of starlings, etc. - and therefore there’s no communications between components to block or disrupt. Where that would sit with post-Mars attitudes about AI I don’t know, but then the Federation isn’t immune to double standards...

And Clancy plainly says she’ll send a “squadron” to DS12. I’m not sure we’ve heard that term used before? They’ve always just talked about “the fleet” when referring to grouped units of starships. And note also there’s no talk of this grouping “assembling” there, or any of the other terms previously used. And the sheer number of vessels - far more than were assembled for more immediate threats like the three known Borg incursions (BoBW, STFC, Endgame).

Nope, I think Starfleet isn’t in Kansas anymore. After a half-century of existential threats - Cardassian War, three or more Borg attacks, a Klingon war, the Dominion War, assorted Romulan unpleasantnesses and the Synths - they’ve gone the full military. All that “sorry about this but you’re the only starship in range” nonsense just ain’t fit for purpose no more.

Trying to think of an in-universe justification for having a starship class with two nacelle variants. Range vs. speed? Midway through an upgrade?

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lee:
Trying to think of an in-universe justification for having a starship class with two nacelle variants. Range vs. speed? Midway through an upgrade?

"Bob, we're buildin' these things as fast as we can, but we're running out of the 8623 nacelles for them."

*looks at clock* "Ah, shit, Procurement's closed already. ...Well, what've we got still?"

"About 15 or so left, maybe 18."

"What else we got in stock, Frank?"

"Uhhhh....got like five 8073s, nine 8264s—"

"Any 8519s?"

"...Uh, yeah, looks like about 30."

"Fuck it, stick 'em on. Close enough, right?"

"You sure, Bob? The specs on 8519 are a little different, & you know how these people can be."

"You wanna wait & then deal with Procurement?"

"HELL no."

"Alright, then. Use the 8519s & let's get it done. ...Don't give me that look, Frank. Trust me, they will not give a single shit, as long as they're done & the damn things work."

"OoooKAY. You're the boss, Bob."

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

Lee
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sometimes I think most of the linchpins of human history have been a Bob and a Frank improvising a solution to an unsolvable problem. They’d probably even beat the Kobayashi Maru test.

My attempts to refresh my memory on the exact details have failed, but I remember Geordi being engaged in some competition with the chief engineer of another vessel to see who could best fine-tune their warp engines and get more speed? Perhaps this is the logical extension of that. Both are now Captains (or higher) and, like in Ridley Scott’s The Duellists their rivalry has endured - and expanded to the point they each control a wing of the Quick Reaction Force and have implemented their own nacelle designs...

--------------------

Shik
Member # 343

Commander Donald Kaplan, CENG on Intrepid. An Academy friend, I think, & they were fine-tuning power conversion percentages. But possibly plausible.

--------------------

Lee
Member # 393

Aha! Knew somebody else would remember - no amount of searching on Memory Alpha would nail it down.

--------------------

Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

- posted      Profile for Dukhat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So apparently according to that Chabon guy, the 'Curiosity' class is also the class of those ships we saw in the finale, even though the silhouette of the ibn Majid we saw previously looks nothing like them.

--------------------
"A film made in 2008 isn't going to look like a TV series from 1966 if it wants to make any money. As long as the characters act the same way, and the spirit of the story remains the same then it's "real" Star Trek. Everything else is window dressing." -StCoop

Lee
Member # 393

Great. So the options are:

1. He doesn’t really care or see the distinction between different classes.
2. He thought they were all going to be the same class/design and doesn’t know (or care?) the Ibn Majid’s silhouette is quite different from the Zheng He’s.
3. When he said the Ibn Majid was Curiosity-class, he was actually thinking of the Zheng He. Which could I guess put the Emmett Till-type/-class name back in contention for Rios’s old ship...

--------------------

o2
Member # 907

- posted      Profile for o2     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Dukhat:
No, the Curiosity class was the class of the ibn Majid, not these ships.

In the recent Trekmovie.com interview, Michael Chabon is giving the following answer:

Q: "Do we know what class of ship the USS Zheng He is?"

A: "Curiosity class."

And the next thing is interessting as well:

Q: "Why only one class of Federation ship?"

A: "I believe but am working to confirm that there are actually four distinct classes."

Not sure if we saw the same episode...

Shik
Member # 343

"Four distinct classes"....like how eggshell, ecru, cream, & off-white are four distinct colors.

--------------------

o2
Member # 907

- posted      Profile for o2     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We have at least two different nacelle types, but that hardly defines a different class...
Lee
Member # 393

Lots of people have understandably been looking at the scene quite closely and I’ve not seen anyone identify any differences (beyond the nacelles) yet!

--------------------

Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

I see one hull with two different nacelles. That's it. If Chabon sees four distinct classes here, I'd love for him to point them out to me.

--------------------

Shik
Member # 343

"Distinct", like a Dodge Aries versus a Plymouth Reliant.

--------------------

This topic comprises 10 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps