Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Late 24th century Starfleet ships! [Picard $$$] (Page 6)

This topic comprises 10 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10   
Author Topic: Late 24th century Starfleet ships! [Picard $$$]
Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Leondegrance doesn't count. It's contradictory bullshit.

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How so?

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mainly it being yet another Eavesian reuse, as anachronistic as DSC ships in the Picard time.

Also, I hate the idea because it's dumb. So mote it be.

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

- posted      Profile for Dukhat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I accept the existence of the Leondegrance, but I rationalize the depiction of the ship on that award as just a generic representation of a starship and not what the Leondegrance actually looked like.

--------------------
"A film made in 2008 isn't going to look like a TV series from 1966 if it wants to make any money. As long as the characters act the same way, and the spirit of the story remains the same then it's "real" Star Trek. Everything else is window dressing." -StCoop

Shik
Member # 343

I will accept your rationalization, although I do not accept its existence as far as my project is concerned.

--------------------

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I mean, as far as I'm concerned, Picard takes place in the Discovery timeline, which is absolutely not the prime timeline, so there really isn't anything for it to contradict.
Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

- posted      Profile for Dukhat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The thing is, there's nothing at all in PIC that links it to DSC other than the hologram of the Discoprise seen when Picard enters Starfleet Command, which immediately then morphs into a Galaxy class starship. The Discoprise does not have a name or registry, so for all we know, it's just another unknown ship class in the prime universe, and not the TOS Constitution class. Someone over at TrekBBS hypothesized that the holograms were actually representing the Yamato's lineage, and that the first ship was the Yamato NCC-1305. I can buy that.

--------------------
"A film made in 2008 isn't going to look like a TV series from 1966 if it wants to make any money. As long as the characters act the same way, and the spirit of the story remains the same then it's "real" Star Trek. Everything else is window dressing." -StCoop

Shik
Member # 343

Man, that's like GOP levels of rationalization right there. (The Yamato thing, not your post)

--------------------

o2
Member # 907

- posted      Profile for o2     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Dukhat:
The thing is, there's nothing at all in PIC that links it to DSC other than the hologram of the Discoprise seen when Picard enters Starfleet Command, which immediately then morphs into a Galaxy class starship. The Discoprise does not have a name or registry, so for all we know, it's just another unknown ship class in the prime universe, and not the TOS Constitution class. Someone over at TrekBBS hypothesized that the holograms were actually representing the Yamato's lineage, and that the first ship was the Yamato NCC-1305. I can buy that.

And how about the shuttles?
Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

quote:
Originally posted by o2:
quote:
Originally posted by Dukhat:

And how about the shuttles?
They look coincidentally like DSC shuttles but can’t possibly be the same, as the DSC shuttles would be 150 years old at that point. It’s like that K’T’inga they used in an episode of ENT: just ignore the similarities.

--------------------

Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

quote:
Originally posted by Shik:
Man, that's like GOP levels of rationalization right there. (The Yamato thing, not your post)

Actually, my theory (since you can see 1701-D on the Galaxy class hologram, invalidating the Yamato theory) is that the hologram represented Federation flagships. Since the Enterprise-D was the only ship canonically referred to as the Federation's flagship, I theorize that the other ship was a former Federation flagship of an unknown class circa the 2200's.

--------------------

Lee
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The display could be on a random loop, and serendipitously just happened to flick to the E-D at that moment. Such coincidences do happen, however much one may scoff at such things happening in fiction. So, nah, I’m not going to worry too much about that other ship being the E-nil and/or Discoprise.

--------------------

Guardian 2000
Member # 743

- posted      Profile for Guardian 2000     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It requires far too much in the way of mental gymnastics to keep STP in the STOU.

Indeed, rather than assert that they used Discovery assets out of laziness, it's probably more fair to say that they've used unmodified TNG assets* out of laziness . . . no one had a Fuller-esque visual (and more) reboot in mind.

(* ... except insofar as they can't get a single TNG- or STFC-style uniform to fit anyone properly... )

Indeed, one could argue that they intentionally avoided the "visual reboot" element, even as they rebooted the universe intentionally or otherwise . . . after all, they'd have figured first-run TOS nostalgiacs are old and useless so they could screw with it, but TNG nostalgiacs are still a thing.

--------------------
. . . ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam.

G2k's ST v. SW Tech Assessment

Lee
Member # 393

So on what basis then are you saying PIC is in an alternate reality?

--------------------

Spike
Pathetic Vampire
Member # 322

- posted      Profile for Spike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
The thing is, there's nothing at all in PIC that links it to DSC other than the hologram of the Discoprise seen when Picard enters Starfleet Command
What about Dahj's Xahean boyfriend?

--------------------
"Never give up. And never, under any circumstances, no matter what - never face the facts." - Ruth Gordon

This topic comprises 10 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps