Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » The Eaglemoss thread (Page 1)

This topic comprises 11 pages: 1  2  3  4  ...  9  10  11   
Author Topic: The Eaglemoss thread
Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Anybody collect these? What do we all think of them?

I developed an interest by chance, when I decided that since I liked the Steamrunner so much, why not get one from their range? So I went on eBay, and next thing you know I'm sort-of collecting them in a half-arsed kinda way.

I started small. Since I was getting the Steamrunner, I reasoned, why not get all the FC ships? They were a large part of the reason why this place exists, anf why I'm here, after all. So I got the Akira, Norway and Sabre.

But then I thought, well, I like the Dauntless, and the Centaur, and the Prometheus, so why not get them too? Along the way I acquired an ENT-era Intrepid too when a seller sent me the wrong model, but refunded me and let me keep it. I also got a Nebula on a whim. And then the Reliant. And, after our recent discussions about deep space explorationm, the Cheyenne.

So I really should stop there. Except I just bought a Saratoga, and am now considering completing mny set of Miranda variants (there's the Soyuz, and the Antares, and possibly a Lantree too? not sure). I also rather fancy a Stargazer.

And since my mid-life-crisismobile convertible has come to be known as the Defiant, well, it would be rude not to...

And then there are the Enterprises. I'm not sure if I want to go down that road. Because there are SO MANY!

NX-01
NX-01 Refit
1701 (Cage)
1701 (Discoprise)
1701 (TOS)
1701 (refit)
1701-A
1701-B
1701-C
1701-D
1701-D (AGT)
1701-E
1701-F
1701-J
1701 (Abramsverse; I don't *think* there's a model of the Kelvinverse 1701-A... yet...?)

It's absurd, really. I might call it a day soon, if I can get maybe a couple more I want at a reasonable price.

There isn't a single one of the Discovery ships that tempts me at all! I saw recently that the guy runs the range for Eaglemoss had Tweeted that he'd received four sets of CAD files from the Picard show people, so I guess there's a La Sirena on the way - but still not getting that. The other three now... I wonder what they could be? At a guess, the ships used to attack Mars, a new Romulan warbird, and the Inquiry-class. As I'm only interested in Starfleet ships, this last might tempt me. We'll see.

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm half-assed about them. Like, they interest me in a "that'd be neat to have" way, but for all the quality they touted, the reality seems to be kind of half-assed in the details, like the old Corgi toys. It's just enough to annoy the hell out of me. Also, I see they're doing STO designs now?, which just infuriate me.

The pictures of some, like Norway, have been invaluable to me, though.

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

Guardian 2000
Member # 743

- posted      Profile for Guardian 2000     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If they were to scale, or even some semblance thereof (even a couple of scales), I'd be all over it.

I do have DS9 from them, I think, and have considered other ones. However, so far, I have managed to avoid the crack. If I get tempted I load up my to-scale SketchUp ships and rotate them around and such . . . it's not tactile, but it gives me sufficient fizz.

--------------------
. . . ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam.

G2k's ST v. SW Tech Assessment

Starship Freak
Member # 293

- posted      Profile for Starship Freak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm actually fond of them. I bought the Ambassador-class and then the XLsize of the same, and also the ringship Enterprise. I love that unique design. (Forgot that one btw Lee!) I was thinking of buying the Saberclass, my second favorite starship. I like all the pics were getting as well.

--------------------
"The Starships of the Federation are the physical, tangible manifestations of Humanity´s stubborn insistence that life does indeed mean something."
Spock to Leonard McCoy in "Final Frontier"

Lee
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Since I got the Cheyenne, I’ve been toying with the idea of getting all the Wolf 359 ships - New Orleans, Springfield, Challenger, Freedom, Niagara... but there are also the assorted Excelsior and Nebula study models which also qualify, but that way lies madness...

The scale issue is a problem. It also causes issues with larger ships, with the Excelsior an oft-cited example. The Memory Alpha page lists the scales: https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Star_Trek:_The_Official_Starships_Collection

--------------------

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh man, that Defiant scaling's gonna make Frank have kittens.

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

Starship Freak
Member # 293

- posted      Profile for Starship Freak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh, the Wolf359-ships...

--------------------
"The Starships of the Federation are the physical, tangible manifestations of Humanity´s stubborn insistence that life does indeed mean something."
Spock to Leonard McCoy in "Final Frontier"

Spike
Pathetic Vampire
Member # 322

- posted      Profile for Spike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The regular ships are just too small to make for decent display models IMO.

The Discovery starships are larger, but of course the issue with these is that the Klingon ships don't even look like ships and most of the Starfleet vessels only look decent in the three-quarter view.

Haven't seen the XL models in RL.

--------------------
"Never give up. And never, under any circumstances, no matter what - never face the facts." - Ruth Gordon

Guardian 2000
Member # 743

- posted      Profile for Guardian 2000     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Shik:
Oh man, that Defiant scaling's gonna make Frank have kittens.

I'm with him, then. There are people who think the Defiant should be 120m, and then there are people who are wrong.

Of course, in this new gilded age of senseless JJ-verse and Disco-verse ships, those who still care about the mistakes of Stipes can still get along.

--------------------
. . . ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam.

G2k's ST v. SW Tech Assessment

Austin Powers
Slightly warped
Member # 250

- posted      Profile for Austin Powers     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I admit some sound quite tempting.
As yet I only have the 1701-D that came with the first edition test magazine for 1.99 Euro.
Definitely a bargain and worth every cent.

--------------------
Lister: Don't give me the "Star Trek" crap! It's too early in the morning.
- Red Dwarf "The Last Day"

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I subscribed to their XL line last summer. Actually, I tried to subscribe in the spring, but the model I selected was out of stock, so they didn't send anything to me for a couple of months, and then they told me why, and I was like "seriously" so I canceled and resubscribed and again, out of stock, but third time was the charm and I finally got the Enterprise-A as my first model.

I've also picked up a few at various sales or promotions. The Enterprise-J is en-route now. I also have:

NX Enterprise
Enterprise-B
Enterprise-C
Enterprise-D
Enterprise-E
Thunderchild
Runabout
Excelsior
Defiant
Deep Space Nine
Reliant
Romulan Warbird
Klingon Battlecruiser

I think that's it. I've also bought some of their other models: the Runabout, Enterprise-E (both from before I subscribed), the Enterprise-C Probert Concept, USS Titan, the Enterprise-series Intrepid-Class, and the Mirror-Universe Enterprise NX (which I technically didn't buy they shipped to me by mistake and then never responded to my email asking if I should return it). I also have their special edition Enterprise (2008 film) and Buran from their Discovery Collection.

Also some of their BSG stuff: the Laura, Vipers Mk 2, 3, and 7, Raptor, Galactica, and Pegasus.

For the most part, I think they're great! I am running out of space to display them. I hope they expand the XL-line; but if not I'll need to turn to the regular line to pick up some essential models like the Oberth-Class and the Borg cube, and certainly I wouldn't mind scooping up a bunch of the Wolf-359 ships!

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Shik
Member # 343

There's a guy on Instagram who figures out paint matches to paint over the printed registries & makes custom decals for the Eaglemoss stuff. Goes by bobmat343 over there.

--------------------

Lee
Member # 393

Plenty of custom decal sets being sold on eBay, too.

--------------------

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I still have been buying from this line. I recently added the XL Abramsverse Enterprise from the first two films, the XL Enterprise from Discovery, and the SE Abramsverse Enterprise from Beyond -- they shrunk the neck, pylons, and nacelles for that film, and the end result looks ... not good, to put it mildly.

Also scooped up some old stuff: their regular issue USS Stargazer, which has far too thin of a saucer; Oberth-Class; Bajoran wind ship; Jem'Hadar fighter (amazing!); the Phase-II Enterprise; and the Abramsverse Mayflower, Armstrong, and ... I'm blanking on the name of the other one ... Newton? Also preordered the Defiant concept that is coming out this fall.

My XL subscription supposedly continues. I received the All Good Things Enterprise-D sometime early winter, and then more recently, I'd bought the AKIRA-class separately from subscription, but apparently emailed the wrong customer service email to make sure they removed it from my subscription .... aaaaaand so a friend bought that off of me. In terms of the XL line, there's not a whole lot left to acquire (I've had most of their Voyager stuff removed from my subscription) -- off the top of my head, since I don't want to actually go to TrekCore to figure this out:

--Nebula Class USS Brochune
--USS Discovery
--USS Discovery -A
--USS Shenzou
--USS Pegasus
--La Sirena
--USS Enterprise (TOS)
--Klingon Bird of Prey
--Oberth Class USS Pegasus

For this XL line, I'm very much hoping to see:

--Star Trek Beyond Enterprise-A
--Jem'Hadar fighter
--USS Stargazer (with appropriate sized saucer!)
--Cardassian Galor-Class
--Borg cube
--USS Enterprise D (separating, perhaps releasing the Saucer and Stardrive as separate XL models?)

Finally, as a general note: while I love their regular and XL runabout model, and I believe they chose the Orinoco because it had that big sensor module atop, I really hope they produce a Rio Grande. A fitting tribute for the only runabout to survive all seven years of Deep Space Nine.

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Shik
Member # 343

Someone got me a Kyushu for my birthday last year, & I realized I finally had what I wanted as a kid: an actual toy starship. Thinking of them that way, I'm able to let go the various inaccuracies & shitty details.

Since then, another friend sent me the D'deridex & I got Rhode Island, DS9 Yeager, & Ent-C on my oen. Was considering a Stargazer but it didn't seem to look right (& now I know why), didn't like how clean the Centaur looks (missing greebles), & thought about a Nebula but they all have the CGI wrong-window saucer. I kinda would like the Probert Ent-C but apparently they're impossible to find.

--------------------

This topic comprises 11 pages: 1  2  3  4  ...  9  10  11   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps