Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » The Eaglemoss thread (Page 10)

This topic comprises 11 pages: 1  2  3  ...  7  8  9  10  11   
Author Topic: The Eaglemoss thread
Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just found out they're opening an outlet in Gettysburg -- can you say ROAD TRIP

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The only person who likes Gettysburg is Larry David.

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Reply from MR:

Chris,

Unfortunately no matter the level of damage, we are not licensed to sell damaged items to customers - this is due to our licensing agreements.

I haven't got a time frame yet, but when I hear something I will get in touch [Smile]

Thanks for your patience,
Holly

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There are apparently Probert Cs in this Friday’s drop. Not sure whether I want one or not. And more Zheng Hes which are on my nice-to-have list. Not many left now I want…

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Shik
Member # 343

I have a Probert-C. It's pretty nice.

--------------------

Lee
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And then they released it today instead, and by the time I happened to have a look at what was up, just out of interest, all gone. I think they may have split them between today and Friday, but it’s unclear. Their comms, email or on socials, aren’t always great.

Things get trailed, then not released. Or vice versa.

Worst is when they forget to add something to a drop, then do it retrospectively at a time when it’s pure chance whether you see it. That’s happened at least twice and I’ve missed my chance as a result.

--------------------

Shik
Member # 343

I got an email yesterday that the order I've been talking about above finally shipped...but only the one piece that ISN'T an E-B. Of course, I emailed about that; we'll see what they say.

Also, I got one order yesterday, & two today. One of the ones today had a wrong item: ordered a Cheyenne, got a Challenger. Not really too pissed because it's for later sale rather than me, but the $20/£16 difference between the two annoys. Emailed about that saying either send me what I ordered (which you obviously have enough of) or refund the difference. They'll probably do the latter, & I'm sure not paying for an international return.

I think their warehouse guys are the same species of idiot that works in my food vendor for work.

--------------------

Lee
Member # 393

W00t! Got a Probert C. Just once, I got in in time.

Decided I wasn’t paying £44.99 for a Zheng He. Plus it’s a midsize isn’t it?

I think that’s it, for me. Though I really should get an -A to round off my Enterprises. Though then I’d have to get a -J. And I know it’s daft but I’d like a -F. And a baseline NX-01 (I love my refit even though it’s a midsize). And of course all this assumes that everything else I’ve ordered actually arrives at some point!!

--------------------

Shik
Member # 343

I was wondering if you'd get one; they went fast. Got a Prometheus, nothing else caught my eye for myself or resale.

They fixed my wrong order by simply shipping me the Cheyenne & telling me to keep the Challenger, so there's that. Both are for future sale anyway, as is most of what I been getting lately.

--------------------

Lee
Member # 393

I see Fanhome now have the BYO 1701-D offer up, and YouTube modeller World Of Wayne has started documenting the build again from scratch. He did before, but shortly before Eaglemoss went belly-up, he decided to dismantle his work so far and rebuild it with the electrics and windows done the way he thought would be best. I don’t know if he’s planning that again, but given he said he’d be applying certain mods to the Fanhome BYO Millennium Falcon and he hasn’t here, I’m assuming not.

And it does look fun! But I keep coming back to, it’s the D and it’s not my favourite. And the cost! I didn’t work it out that precisely, but Fanhome’s fulfilment model (31 monthly batches mostly of four stages each, as opposed to Eaglemoss’s of two stages fortnightly) plus shipping, you’re looking at not much change from £1500. Over two and a half years, not TOO bad I guess (as in, I could afford it; many others couldn’t) but… it’s the D.

And if Fanhome judge it a success, might they do more? Let’s imagine they did. What would they do next?

- 1701-null or -A refit
- Voyager
- Cerritos?

None of them appeal. A classic 1701 might, but WHICH? Cage? TOS, most likely - unless they judged that more were likely to be attracted to the DSC/SNW version. Or maybe the Defiant..?

--------------------

Lee
Member # 393

Sorry - had visitors, so posted as far as I’d gotten with my rambling train of thought!

So, I’m not sure what would attract me to the cost and time commitment of a BYO Trek ship. As was already obvious from the original BYO D offering, there is a LOT of repetition in building frame, fitting lights and windows to hull sections, fitting hull to frame, ad infinitum. What ship would avoid that? Voyager might, lower surface area to volume; possibly Defiant also. Less windows in a -null or -refit 1701, but it’s a skinnier ship so high surface area to volume.

And whereas an Akira- or Steamrunner- or Prometheus-class might tempt me, that ain’t gonna happen ever, so pointless wondering really.

--------------------

Shik
Member # 343

...So, subscription-based model building? That's dumb af.

--------------------

Lee
Member # 393

Well yes, plenty thought so - especially once Eaglemoss went tits-up not even a quarter of the way through the Ent-D build!

But these partwork things keep happening, so they must make money sometimes?

And Fanhome have apparently bought up the remaining stock needed to complete people's builds - suggesting that EM had indeed made all the parts needed...

... Perhaps this is why they failed financially, the outlay to make all that at once can't have been insignificant, especially when their return on investment was going to come at the rate of about £22 per month per subscription over the next two and a half years. And, with the cost of living crisis everywhere, if subscription sign-ups weren't what they needed to be...

--------------------

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I feel subscription based models are common, particularly for folks with deep wallets and lots of display space. And also, a bit of a phenom I've associated with the U.K.

I'm looking forward to what D'Agastino plans to do with the Trek line. I doubt they'll go as deep as Eaglemoss, although, perhaps EM demonstrated that there is a viable market for some niche vessels.

Does anyone collect anything other than the ship models? I bought Exo-6's Ben Sisko, and have their Quark (shipping any day now), Kira, Saavik (Regula 1), Data (w/ Two Spots), and Kruge on order.

Lee
Member # 393

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Partwork

As that article says, they’ve long been a feature in the UK - so much part of the cultural fabric (specifically of new year TV when all the other ads are for the January sales) that we’ve long since ceased to register them. I don’t know how popular they are. I presume most of the offers do eventually complete - assuming the publisher doesn’t go bust - so they must have decent reputation.

A lot of the magazine content is often recycled from some book that already exists. Eaglemoss may have done it the other way round, putting their magazine content into their books.

--------------------

This topic comprises 11 pages: 1  2  3  ...  7  8  9  10  11   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps