Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » The Eaglemoss thread (Page 5)

This topic comprises 11 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11   
Author Topic: The Eaglemoss thread
Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Was that World of Wayne?

I think for many people, like myself, the Enterprise-D is the ship we knew when we fell in love with Star Trek, and I think there's always something special about your first Enterprise.

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Guardian 2000
Member # 743

- posted      Profile for Guardian 2000     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lee:
I really don’t like the Galaxy-class. It beggars belief that it’s regarded so mistily-eyed as the greatest spaceship in Star Trek.

Is it the aesthetics? Does the model (svelte six-footer versus fat space truck four-footer) make a difference?

--------------------
. . . ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam.

G2k's ST v. SW Tech Assessment

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's hard to really break it down why. I don'tlike the way it looks from a lot of angles - and since the more generic exterior shots were reused extensively, there was plenty of opportunity to really compound the distaste. I'm not saying the class is incapapble of looking good - it looked fucking amazing when it appeared in that dream sequence at the start of PIC s1.

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It IS a bit front-heavy..

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This sounds like the start of an "I like my starships like I like my women" joke...
Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I did consider some sich, but decided it would've been too obvious.

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

Lee
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It doesn’t look too great in side view - but then plenty don’t, the Akira-class being a particularly egregious example. And there’s one view from the front and below where the saucer looks particularly humongous - I mean, it fills the whole bloody screen - while the stardrive section looks tiny.

--------------------

Spike
Pathetic Vampire
Member # 322

- posted      Profile for Spike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Never been a big fan of the Galaxy as well. Like Lee explained she just has a lot of unfavourable angles. The aft view is especially terrible. I did appreciate her more when they started to use her in the Dominion War battle scenes.
Guardian 2000
Member # 743

- posted      Profile for Guardian 2000     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So how do those who don't like the Galaxy feel about the Sovereign? Lee? Spike?

--------------------

Lee
Member # 393

I like it, personally, though I get why many don’t. At the time it was a breath of fresh air (after years of nothing but Excelsiors and Mirandas, with only the occasional Nebula and assorted kitbashes - and nowhere near as many Ambassadors and Constellations as there could have been - to break the monotony), though in hindsight it also displays many of those annoying little Eavesian touches that have increasingly grated on our sensibilities with each new class he creates (how many is he credited with?).

--------------------

Guardian 2000
Member # 743

Two. He's made two. He makes the Starfleet CurvAngular Ship and the Alien Ship.

That is all.

https://www.giantbomb.com/profile/delta_ass/blog/star-trek-the-laziness-of-john-eaves/90537/

--------------------

Spike
Pathetic Vampire
Member # 322

- posted      Profile for Spike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Guardian 2000:
So how do those who don't like the Galaxy feel about the Sovereign? Lee? Spike?

It's #3 in my Enterprise ranking after the Constitution refit and Excelsior.
Lee
Member # 393

I haven’t tested this fully, but a rough estimation would be:

Null
E
C
Refit/A
B
[01 Refit]
Kelvinprise-A
D
J
Kelvinprise

--------------------

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So third-party retailers have sent out cancellation notices for the Caretaker Array, but still list Stargazer, Serenity, and Vancouver as available/pre-order, so hopefully these were actually manufactured and might still be fulfilled. Not holding out a lot of hope, but sometimes you only need a little hope.

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Guardian 2000
Member # 743

Good luck on the last Eaglemoss bits.

As for Galaxy versus Sovereign ... huh. From the terraced undersaucer to the oops-I-forgot saucer-to-secondary dorsal to the completely forgotten nacelle ventral side to the utterly forgotten bridge fitment, I find the E design worse the more I think about it, but to each their own. For myself, it would go like:

Refit/A
Null and D6 tied
C
NX-01 and D4 (Bulldog) tied
B
E
Monsterprise / Monsterprise-A
J

I do distinguish between the six-footer and four-footer. If I had to merge them somehow, it'd be C & D tied, I guess, but maybe the D would eke it out since the down-pointing deflector on the C does tickle my OCD quite a bit.

--------------------

This topic comprises 11 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2008 Solareclipse Network.