Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » The Eaglemoss thread (Page 8)

This topic comprises 11 pages: 1  2  3  ...  5  6  7  8  9  10  11   
Author Topic: The Eaglemoss thread
Guardian 2000
Member # 743

- posted      Profile for Guardian 2000     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Since 1987 I've been taken by that admittedly nonsensical adage from the Star Trek TNG magazine of TNG representing a time when aesthetics had surpassed technology. The Courage Class tickles that little spot in my brain. It's as if a whole ship was created mixing TNG's curves and those astonishingly thin and small TOS pylons . . . if there's a negative to the ship, other than the comparisons to a toilet, it is that the ship is perhaps too chonky.

-
(image from beammeupchief on DeviantArtl

Moreover, it represents a whiff of realism insofar as changing technology over time. The Enterprise-J was largely a bomb in that department. "Oh look, saucer and nacelles (yawn).”

--------------------
. . . ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam.

G2k's ST v. SW Tech Assessment

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wish it had defined warp engines though. Also, which way is front?

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The tall part.

I’m in record as not liking the detached nacelles. Plus I’ve just seen an animation a modeller did with the Voyager-G flapping its nacelles like a duck, and I can neither unsee that nor fail to imagine the Eisenberg-class doing the same.

So I’m quite happy with the lack of any visible or identifiable nacelles on the Courage. Plenty of non-UFP ship designs don’t have nacelles as we usually think of them - long and thin, glowing grilles, bussards at the front. Think of those Vulcan ring ships…

It’d be interesting to divine how the Courage’s form is defined by function. Many designs have bent or cherry-picked the Roddenberry rules for starship design; this rips them up and throws them away. There have been many theories about how, well, warp field theory dictates starship design: why is this so different? Maybe the answer to that is, there are plenty of warp ships that don’t look like Starfleet ones, so why not?

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey guys, I've done some searching, because my STD-SNW Enterprise XL and Cerritos XL both have broken stands, and came across these folks: https://displaystandsdirect.com/

Stands made to order, so we'll see how they are when they arrive in a month.

The Lower Decks-run Cerritos from MR's drop two weeks ago arrived today! It's about two thirds the length of the XL, and is just super adorable.

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Guardian 2000
Member # 743

- posted      Profile for Guardian 2000     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lee:
The tall part.

Wait, really? Hmm.

--------------------
. . . ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam.

G2k's ST v. SW Tech Assessment

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lee:
So I’m quite happy with the lack of any visible or identifiable nacelles on the Courage. Plenty of non-UFP ship designs don’t have nacelles as we usually think of them - long and thin, glowing grilles, bussards at the front. Think of those Vulcan ring ships…

Which is why I specifically said engines & not nacelles. I don't care how they look, I just wanna know where they are.

quote:
Originally posted by Malnurtured Snay:
The Lower Decks-run Cerritos from MR's drop two weeks ago arrived today! It's about two thirds the length of the XL, and is just super adorable.

Pix mayhaps? Mine got here on Monday & since it's still sealed in box, I haven't opened it because I'm probably going to sell it at some point.

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

Shik
Member # 343

Well, fucked again on the Nilo Rodis Excelsior concept II, this time in 36 seconds.

--------------------

Lee
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Been trying to think what more I could get. In no particular order:

Ent-E (XL?)
Ent-A (I have the refit -null, but for completeness…)
Ent-F (well, maybe - again for completeness. And definitely not the STO version)
Inquiry-class (ideally the Zheng He, as that was the “canon” one; problem is many others seem to think the same way! But if I did, I might then want to get one of the other versions with the other nacelle configuration… fuck off am I getting all four though!

All the above have been up before, and I’ve either missed out or often balked at what they’re charging. I don’t mind paying in the £50 range for something I really want or that is rare and/or could have good future resale value, but their prices remain all over the shop and some of them I object to paying.

--------------------

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Looks like FanHome has secured the rights to produce new model starships -- I assume they scored Eaglemoss's production assets...

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

“FanHome has secured the sought-after license granted by Paramount and CBS for the production of an all-new collection of Star Trek starships. Speculations circulating within the industry suggest that this new line, highly reminiscent of Eaglemoss' renowned offerings, will commence with a meticulously crafted mid-size replica of Captain Picard's Titan starship.

FanHome’s announcement joins the impending arrival of more collectible Star Trek models, not only from Corgi but also a larger-than-life, Kickstarter-funded Enterprise from TOMY, slated for an early 2024 debut.

However, the sun appears to be quickly setting for Master Replicas as a litany of challenges continue to beleaguer the company. Reports detail perilous financial overstretch, warehouse staff walkouts, a snowballing accumulation of order backlogs, fulfilment errors, and persistent issues with quality control. Adding to their tribulations, the recent licensing agreements inked with MGM to produce Stargate models and Legendary to produce DUNE models, with a distribution strategy centered around a "Collector's Club" subscription model, has elicited wearied responses from loyal aficionados of the niche franchises.

The wider collectibles market finds itself navigating treacherous waters, compounded by the global economic downturn. As two notable companies teeter on the precipice of collapse and several others edge closer to administration or bankruptcy, potential consumers are adopting a cautious stance. In a climate of uncertainty, committing to preorders or subscriptions based on the promise of future model releases is increasingly viewed as a perilous endeavour for consumers.”

https://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/fanhome-secures-star-trek-license-new-models-expected-2024.html

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Shik
Member # 343

That's cool, I pretty much got everything I wanted. Got no interest in the Disco, Picard, or STO abominations, & unless they do some more of the DS9 Frankenstein fleet, I'm good.

--------------------

Lee
Member # 393

That link doesn’t work anymore, and I’m not finding any alternatives. How sure are we it’s genuine? And something about this feels off:

“Reports detail perilous financial overstretch, warehouse staff walkouts, a snowballing accumulation of order backlogs, fulfilment errors, and persistent issues with quality control. Adding to their tribulations, the recent licensing agreements inked with MGM to produce Stargate models and Legendary to produce DUNE models, with a distribution strategy centred around a "Collector's Club" subscription model, has elicited wearied responses from loyal aficionados of the niche franchises.”

Really? I’ve not noticed any such reports, and the response to the announcement of the Stargate range - quite a new announcement at that - has so far been positive. Lots of people were excited about the release of the X-304. Quality control issues? They’re selling reclaimed stock from a bankruptcy, if they weren’t checking it before shipping I think it’d be getting widespread comment, and I’ve seen nothing. And as for perilous financial positions, on at least two occasions they’ve honoured multiple orders for a model that was mistakenly priced at £0.00 ($0.00) - that kind of altruism could easily lead to a perilous financial position it’s true, but it’s not something they did lightly.

So, basically, what the hell is going on? Fanhome may not be the panacea people think it could be, they’re heavily into the subscription model and thst didn’t really work for Trek when Eaglemoss were doing it! Much as people might want the Titan-A/Ent-G, will they sign up to a running sub to do so? Sure it might also net them, say, the new Stargazer, or the Duderstadt-class, but would they want whatever other obscure shops Eaglemoss never got round to?

--------------------

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

Yeah, I think I got snookered by a Reddit prankster. Grumble grumble.

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Lee
Member # 393

Though MR are now saying that DeAgostini have got the new ships licence. They’re disappointed but feel confident their other licences will stand them in good stead.

--------------------

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

I think Corgi also has a license to produce some stuff...maybe we'll finally get that Defiant they tooled almost 20 years ago!

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

This topic comprises 11 pages: 1  2  3  ...  5  6  7  8  9  10  11   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps