Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Delta Flyer successor (say it ain't so) (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Delta Flyer successor (say it ain't so)
Galen
Member # 72

- posted      Profile for Galen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Some friends of mine just got back from a honeymoon trip to Paramount Studios where got the chance to meet with Mike Okuda on the Astrometrics set. He showed them some stuff the staff is working on, including construction details of a new shuttle that will appear this season called the "Delta Clipper." As if the Flyer were not already out of proportion with the shuttle bay. Clipper seems to indicate this ship will be bigger. Guess we will see.

------------------
"Victory is Life!"

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's...odd. One amazingly nifty shuttle I can see, but two?

Not to disparage your friends or anything, but are you sure they aren't pulling your leg? I've never heard of anyone just running into Okuda or anyone else on set like that, or being shown cool stuff. Maybe I'm just being overly cynical.

------------------
"And much of Madness, and more of Sin, and Horror the soul of the plot."
--
The Conqueror Worm, by Edgar Allan Poe

Hobbes
 Homicidal Psycho Jungle Cat 
Member # 138

- posted      Profile for Hobbes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, and even if by chance it were true I'd hate for it to be a new vessel when there's still that AeroShuttle they could use. Well I'd certainly like to see it in use, even just once.

------------------
"Let's make sure that history never forgets the name...Enterprise."
Federation Starship Datalink - Yet another site based on the popularity of starships.

bonecrusher
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello, the BC has returned! I think they should destroy the Flyer and replace it. The Flyer is great and all but it's too big for the S-bay and it looks sorta like the Dauntless, with that front nose. Also too many debates over the the power and the number of weapons on it. Anyway, they created the Flyer for more of a Runabout ship, at least i think. Anyone agree?
I think they should make that Aerowing shuttle. Does anyone have any info on it? Is it a shuttlecraft, captain's yacht or what? Thanks.

IP: Logged
Galen
Member # 72

- posted      Profile for Galen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well they didn't just run into Okuda. Bjo Trimble was in town a few months ago for a convention and they struck up a friendship with her. They got the visit through her connections. My friends aren't "starship" and it isn't likely something they would make up if they were in the mood to play a joke on the rest of us. You never know though. If I get any more info I will pass it on. They probably don't have any pictures of the blueprints as I doubt they were allowed to take photos.
If this Clipper does turn out to be true then I will just assume that TPTB are pretending the aerowing shuttle doesn't exist.

------------------
"Victory is Life!"

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
well, they could be using the aerowing shuttle - but remember Sternbach said that the name awrowing had been taken by some movie - so they might just name it the delta clipper!?!

------------------
"All is full of love, all around you" - Bj�rk

Michael Dracon
aka: NightWing or Altair
Member # 4

- posted      Profile for Michael Dracon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Use the Aerowing (renamed the Delta Clipper) because the Delta Flyer is destroyed??

To quote a Romulan from 'All Good Things...':
"I like it already!!"

------------------
"You don't need a gun."
"That depends on your definition of 'save sex'."

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually, I can think of one reason why they wouldn't use the, er...under-the-saucer-ship. It's designed to be essentially a runabout with wings. Only problem is, there is no longer a runabout set.

------------------
--

Dax
Paradox
Member # 191

- posted      Profile for Dax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Why does something that has never been seen have to look like a runabout and/or use a runabout set? They can make the AeroShuttle whatever they want - as long as the bottom matches that shape on Voy's saucer.

------------------
"Forgive me if I don't share your euphoria!" (Weyoun to Dukat, Tears of the Prophets)
Dax's Ships of STAR TREK

Bernd
Guy from Old Europe
Member # 6

- posted      Profile for Bernd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
While the Delta Flyer is already a questionable design, I'd hate to see any new kind of hot rod, unless it is explicitly stated and shown this is the aerowing that always existed. However, if the aerowing exists, why didn't they ever use it?

------------------
"Invaders from the fifth dimension!" - or: the canon proof that subspace is the same as hyperspace
Ex Astris Scientia

Elim Garak
Plain and simple
Member # 14

- posted      Profile for Elim Garak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Perhaps Janeway covets it.

------------------
Elim Garak: "Oh, it's just Garak. Plain, simple Garak. Now, good day to you, Doctor. I'm so glad to have made such an... interesting new friend today." (DS9: "Past Prologue")

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For some reason the name "Delta Clipper" is familiar to me from outside Star Trek.

One of the Space Shuttle prototype names, or one of the Skunk Works' projects?

Hm.

------------------
"We shall not yield to you, nor to any man." -- Freak, The Mighty.

The359
The bitch is back
Member # 37

- posted      Profile for The359     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Delta Clipper was one of the nominees for the next US Space Shuttle. It was a large cone-shaped craft, capable of vertical take off and vertical landing, as well as hovering, turning on it's side, and flyingin a straight line both vertical and horizontally. The prototype was destroyed soon after the contract was given to the VentureStar when one of the Delta Clipper's landing legs didn't come out fully, and the ship tipped over and exploded

------------------
"I am Sci-Fi"
-The 359

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

They don't have to base it on the runabout. They already have based it on the runabout. Sternbach specifically said that he had designed it thusly to save on future set costs.

------------------
--

Mikey T
Driven
Member # 144

- posted      Profile for Mikey T     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ah, hello? I'm sure that the runabout set can be rebuilt again, if they can build and take apart the Enterprise-E bridge set, they can easily do the same for a runabout set. It's smaller than a bridge for sure and easily be modified. I just really wonder why hasn't that shuttle ever seen. Oh, the name was changed because Disney had the same name for a vehicle for one of their cartoons based on the "Mighty Ducks" movies. Go figure...

------------------
"All you people, can't you see, can't you see
How your love's affecting our reality
Everytime we're down
You can make it right
And that makes you larger than life"

-Backstreet Boys

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps