Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Origin of Saber-class MSD (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Origin of Saber-class MSD
Bernd
Guy from Old Europe
Member # 6

- posted      Profile for Bernd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is a Saber-class MSD (obviously) of unknown origin I received a few weeks ago. I was surprised, since it looks very "official" although I never heard it was featured in the ST Magazine or in some other authorized publication. Anyone know where it could be taken from?
http://www.homestead.com/thetrekker/files/Sabre_MSD.jpg

If it is fan-made (why should Okuda or Drexler bother to create an MSD for a rather obscure ship?), it's the best one I have ever seen. The ship would be only 130m. Note the horizontal warp core!

------------------
"Naomi Wildman, sub-unit of Ensign Samantha Wildman, state your intentions." (VOY: "Infinite Regress")
Ex Astris Scientia

The First One
A lovely little thinker, but a bugger when he's pissed
Member # 35

- posted      Profile for The First One         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, I think it's fan-created. There are two many rough edges. . .
The Vorlon
Member # 52

- posted      Profile for The Vorlon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Chris Gough made it for UP2, did he not?

------------------
Sheridan: "Well, as answers go, short, to the point, utterly useless and totally consistant with what I've come to expect from a Vorlon..."
Kosh: "Good."
Sheridan: "I REALLY hate it when you do that..."
Kosh: "Good."

SapphireEclipse Productions
http://sapphireeclipse.virtualave.net/

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's one impressing piece of work. Just by smoothing the borders and aligning the cut-and-pasted parts a bit more exactly, one could print this in a Paramount book. (Actually, this one has more class than most of the pics that make it into a Paramount book...)

Just one thing that I find a bit surprising: why so much attention to self-destruct mechanisms? Both the torpedo launchers seem to be aimed inwards!

Timo Saloniemi

The First One
Member # 35

- posted      Profile for The First One         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't remember seeing it before, but we know how many people delight in taking Chris's work and passing it off as their own, so. . .
Jim Phelps
watches Voyager AFTER 51030
Member # 102

- posted      Profile for Jim Phelps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The shuttles come from the Defiant MSD.

Boris

[This message has been edited by Boris (edited December 02, 1999).]

Bernd
Guy from Old Europe
Member # 6

- posted      Profile for Bernd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually, it is an edited version I have made for Lance. It is taken from a larger diagram from Ben Potter that also included Intrepid, Prometheus, Defiant and Nova. The repeated JPG compression has probably affected the edges. It is also interesting that the Prometheus MSD is not the one from the Encyclopedia, actually, the one I have is much better except that it suggests a one-piece M/ARA throughout all decks of the secondary hull . Was a Promi MSD featured in the ST Magazine?

I will post the complete MSD image once I have managed to reduce the size without further blurring it.

Leo
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think I saw that at UP2 also... they had quite a few images. About the Prometheus though, you don't mean this one do you?
http://ussnova.cjb.net/prometheus.jpg

It's version 2 (unofficially v18), LCARS added after some retouching was done.

IP: Logged
Black Knight
Member # 134

- posted      Profile for Black Knight     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Who made that one, was it you Leo?

------------------
Quark-"Stop. Or I'll disintigrate this hostage."

20th Century General-"With Your Finger?"

Quark-"With my death ray."

20th Century General-"Looks alot like a finger to me."

Black Knight
Member # 134

- posted      Profile for Black Knight     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh, that must have been that one that I (personally) found at an RPG site, and you added the LCARS Leo?

------------------
Quark-"Stop. Or I'll disintigrate this hostage."

20th Century General-"With Your Finger?"

Quark-"With my death ray."

20th Century General-"Looks alot like a finger to me."

Leo
Ex-Member

Right on both counts. The cut out's available on a couple pbems, but I made it out of the Voyager and Enterprise-E cut outs for the USS Prometheus sim (AES) after giving up on looking for anything official - hardly accurate considering it has three bridges and the warp cores aren't placed correctly either, but after getting the official MSD I'm looking forward to a remake (v19).

------------------
QSD Theoreticist

Graboid
Ex-Member

The Prometheus cutaway was most definately created by Leo first (before any official one was released). I know this because I saw several versions of it in the design process over a year ago when he was working on it.
Mikey T
Driven
Member # 144

- posted      Profile for Mikey T     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I downloaded that Saber MSD when UP2 was still online, along with the Akira Class MSD (Which is so small). I like this Prometheus MSD, better than the official MSD since there are too many inaccurate things about it.

------------------
I don't care who you are, where you're from
What you did, as long as you love me.
Who you are, where you're from
What you did, as long as you love me.

-Backstreet Boys

Leo
Ex-Member

I think I still have both those somewhere, but they also had the Defiant and Intrepid cutouts (presumably where they did the Akira and Sabre from). Those're the best for inspiration on image editing... anyone know if Eric Gough and co have any plans to reestablish UP?

(side note: does anyone have the full cutaway for the Nova-Class or Dauntless?)

------------------
QSD Theoreticist

The First One
Member # 35

Eric? 8)
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps