Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Origin of Saber-class MSD (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Origin of Saber-class MSD
The First One
A lovely little thinker, but a bugger when he's pissed
Member # 35

- posted      Profile for The First One         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And UP will be back, eventually. UP3 to be exact.
Bernd
Guy from Old Europe
Member # 6

- posted      Profile for Bernd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Leo, this is the MSD, however, your original version is crisper. I only wonder why the warp coils have been removed. This is what I received, reduced in size: http://www.uni-siegen.de/~ihe/bs/startrek/temp/5-msd.jpg
The sizes: Intrepid (reference): 344m
Defiant: 127m
Saber: 160m (would have very tall decks as depicted)
Prometheus: 360m
Nova: 200m (definitely too long. The ship has only 8 decks with a maximum height of 4m, and this gives us a length of around 160m)

In any case the official MSD is crap, it is lacking important details such as the exact hull shape. The only point about Leo's schematic is that the Prometheus should have two more decks in the wedge, this would also make the ship longer. I wonder why on both the official schematic and your version the nacelles are not sticking out far enough. A coincidence?

Jim Phelps
watches Voyager AFTER 51030
Member # 102

- posted      Profile for Jim Phelps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bernd: I was kinda under the impression that the human figures in the Equinox cutaway vindicate Rick's comments about 13-16' decks. I got 200-220 meters regardless of whether I used the 110' total height or the human figures. Could the proportions be incorrect, meaning that the Equinox is not as elongated as in the MSD?

Boris

[This message has been edited by Boris (edited December 03, 1999).]

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Timo's right, though, it sure DOES look like the Sabre's torp launchers point the wrong way, back into the ship.

Is that an oops, or am I missing something?

------------------
Calvin: "No efficiency, no accountability... I tell you, Hobbes, it's a lousy way to run a Universe." -- Bill Watterson

Leo
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks Bernd! As to why that image doesn't have the warp engines, it's because that was v17 of the cutout (the one people are more likely to catch on websites since their managers don't like updating...).

About how far out the nacelles are: I drew the outline from the Prometheus Schematics in ST: The magazine (http://www.shiporama.org/images/prometheus/side.jpg), it should be correct, but it can be changed easily as I still have the model in layering. As to the decks, I was told it was 13, 14, or 15, just went with whatever came out through viewport alignment - I stayed with it even after seeing Paramount's MSD which is really inaccurate in itself...

------------------
QSD Theoreticist

IP: Logged
Jim Phelps
Member # 102

- posted      Profile for Jim Phelps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ok, but what's the point in correcting MSDs anyway? They are not meant to be geometrically accurate, and even if some of the obvious systems don't show up, we can chalk it up to overlaps.

The Prometheus has 16 decks, or at least that's what Rick said was in his blueprints. I'm not sure whether people know this or not, just thought I'd mention it anyway.

Boris

Leo
Ex-Member

Hehe, it's more of a perfectionism guided to training. I'm looking into designing my own ships sooner or later but I want the basics down...

------------------
QSD Theoreticist

Leo
Ex-Member

Onto the next venture - I'm trying to do the Nova-Class cutaway, but I'm curious to know if anyone here has any idea what deck the shuttlebay is on?

------------------
QSD Theoreticist

Justin_Timberland
Member # 236

- posted      Profile for Justin_Timberland     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I heard from "Equinox" that it was one deck below the bridge, or Deck Two.

------------------
He can't be unoriginal
The way I feel is sexual
The way I feel is sexual.

He can't be just intellectual
The way I feel is sexual
The way I feel is sexual
When you're next to me.

Jim Phelps
Member # 102

Nope, a major misspeak again. RS mentioned that it's supposed to be five decks down from the bridge, not two.

Boris

Leo
Ex-Member

With only eight decks (according to the cutaway) it'd have to be either 2-3, or 3-4 which are still aligned with the saucer module. Any ideas on this?

------------------
QSD Theoreticist

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's too damned early in the morning to deal with this.

------------------
"I wish that everything went just as I wish everything would go."
--
John Linnell

Leo
Ex-Member

*poke poke* Any ideas on the decks?

------------------
QSD Theoreticist

The First One
A lovely little thinker, but a bugger when he's pissed
Member # 35

- posted      Profile for The First One         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As per Matt's request, I've moved it somewhere else. I've left Sol's post in out of the respect I have for him, and the fact it just looks so damned surreal on its own. 8)

And as for Leo's question, nope.

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Where were the posts moved to?

------------------
Frank's Home Page
"Ou tou kratountos h� polis nomizetai" - Creon

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps