Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » The Delta Flyer keeps growing and growing! ($$$) (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: The Delta Flyer keeps growing and growing! ($$$)
The359
The bitch is back
Member # 37

- posted      Profile for The359     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, now, the Delta Flyer has it's own JEFFRIES TUBE, since Kim was climbing inside one tonight in "Collective". You guys discuss this, I'm watching for more stupid mistakes.

------------------
"The things hollow--it goes on forever--and--oh my God!--it's full of stars!" -David Bowman's last transmission back to Earth, 2001: A Space Odyssey

The 359 Webpage

The359
The bitch is back
Member # 37

- posted      Profile for The359     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, since "edit" is gone, I'll post this. Delta Flyer now has an escape pod (though I am guessing it has more then 1 escape pod). Why don't we just start calling this thing a dreadnaught already???

------------------
"The things hollow--it goes on forever--and--oh my God!--it's full of stars!" -David Bowman's last transmission back to Earth, 2001: A Space Odyssey

The 359 Webpage

Delta Vega
Member # 283

- posted      Profile for Delta Vega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Soon they will have another starship, USS Delta Flyer.

------------------
Klingons never do anything small, eh Worf? -Commander Riker,
Star Trek: Insurrection

http://www.huntel.net/massa/StarTrek/index.html

Dat
Huh?
Member # 302

- posted      Profile for Dat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just don't see the idea of an escape pod. It would take up most of the Flyer's size...which is impossible. A Jeffries Tube is more believable since Danube class runabout have one as well.

And I wouldn't be surprised if Starfleet comes out with the Delta Flyer class with the Flyer as the prototype. Nearly the same size as a runabout and it's more advanced. Why not take advantage of it and try to make a production series of Flyers as runabouts or attack fighters.

------------------
7 alarm clock: "Do not touch me."
Dilbert: "Then how do I turn you off?"
7: "Believe me, I am plenty turned off."

[This message has been edited by PopMaze (edited February 17, 2000).]

Montgomery
Reigning Supreme
Member # 23

- posted      Profile for Montgomery     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
All that Borg tech you see.
The Borg have discovered interdimensional transcendentalism!

------------------
"Cos I...HATE you!
And I...say SCREW YOU!
And I...hope you're blue too"

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What about inflatable escape pods? Those wouldn't take up much room. Imagine the exterior door of the Frequent Flyer opening, with a forcefield erected across it to keep the air in. Then out of the door frame comes this mechanism that sweeps across the doorway and rolls open the escape pod. The escapee jumps out, the pod stretches to accommodate him or her, then seals shut behind her with a big slurping sound, and floats free of the Flyer, a small instrumentation package attached to it (with life support, homing beacon, perhaps small thrusters as well). The machinery rolls open the next pod, the next escapee bails out...

The "pod" could be skintight, like a rapidly donnable spacesuit. Or it could balloon into a nice little cocoon. Of course, if this were TAS, the whole thing would be done with forcefields - but plain simple physical matter could also be used, CGI allowing.

Timo Saloniemi

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, I haven't seen the ep, but I can imagine a Jefferies Tube under the Flyer's main deck.

If you'll recall, some shuttles supposedly have escape pods too: Picard told that cute young Bajoran ensign she could get back into Fed space in an escape pod in "Lower Decks" TNG.

That should've been the ensign's first clue that that mission was going to have problems. My guess is that they are very VERY small like probe size or something. They may even have stasis capability to help out those who don't like the feeling of being trapped inside a coffin...

------------------
"A gathering of Angels appeared above my head. They sang to me this song of hope, and this is what they said..." -Styx

Aban's Illustration www.thespeakeasy.com/alanfore

Dat
Huh?
Member # 302

- posted      Profile for Dat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That might not be possible if a shuttle or the Flyer is manned by more than one person. Having all those mini-pods could take room away for equipment and parts of the shuttle/Flyer.

------------------

Elim Garak
Plain and simple
Member # 14

- posted      Profile for Elim Garak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Like previously said, a Jefferies' Tube makes enough sense.

One thing I'd like to add: Maybe they're escape pods on the scale of K'Ehleyr's warp thingy (uh, it's been a while since I've seen the ep ). Very small. Mind you, I have yet to see "Collective".

Dat
Huh?
Member # 302

Didn't Aban already say that?

------------------

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That was a modified torpedo casing, which still takes up a fair amount of space.

------------------
"You are stupid and evil and do not know you are stupid and evil."
--
Gene Ray, Cubic

Mikey T
Driven
Member # 144

- posted      Profile for Mikey T     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And yet the Delta Flyer was launching several photon torpedoes at at cube from "Collective..."

------------------
"Life's a bitch, then you die"
-Quote from Dedication Plaque of USS Vanderbilt

The359
The bitch is back
Member # 37

Microtorps most likely

------------------

The 359 Webpage

Justin_Timberland
Member # 236

- posted      Profile for Justin_Timberland     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
But I heard Chakotay say photon...

------------------
We did it on the floor,
We did it by the door,
We did it all night,
We did it under a light,
So how about for tonight we do it some more...

Dat
Huh?
Member # 302

Partially merging in another thread, I guess it confirms that the Flyer's torp launchers are on top and the deflector dish is on bottom.

------------------

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps