Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Starship names (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Starship names
Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Where did these, sometimes odd, names came frome?

USS Crazy Horse
USS Lalo
USS Lantree
USS Shir Kahr
USS Sitak
USS T'Kumbra
USS Thomas Paine
USS Bozeman
USS Zapata
USS John Muir
USS Sarek
USS Scovil
USS Shika Maru (I only know Maru is a ship suffix/prefix used in the Japanese Navy, wich makes USS useless...)
SS Robert Fox
SS Woden

PS My favorite canon starship name is U.S.S. Silversides (very poetic!)

------------------
"Si vis pacem, para bellum." (If you want peace, prepare for war)
- Vegetius
Prakesh's Star Trek Site

Fructose
Member # 309

- posted      Profile for Fructose     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Crazy Horse is a Souix leader who joined Sitting Bull for the Battle of Little Bighorn.

Thomas Paine was a American writer who wrote Common Sense and The Rights of Man.

Bozeman is a city in Montana.

Zapata is was a Mexican revolutionary around 1910

John Muir encouraged the creation of national parks in the U.S.

Sarek is Spock's dad. (duh)

Robert Fox sounds like someone's name. Must have been important somehow.

Woden is "an Anglo-Saxon god indentified with Odin."

and USS stands for United Space Ship not United States Ship.

I looked up all this stuff in my dictionary. I could try harder, but I figured that the other stuff is either more obscure or from Star Trek history.

------------------
It doesn't matter if you don't know what you're doing as long as you look good doing it.

[This message has been edited by fructose1 (edited March 11, 2000).]

Michael Dracon
aka: NightWing or Altair
Member # 4

- posted      Profile for Michael Dracon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually that's: UFP StarShip.

UFP: United Federation of Planets
------------------
The Miranda Class model is not a kitbash, it is a bashkit.

(-=\V/=-)

[This message has been edited by Altair (edited March 11, 2000).]

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
On my Enterprise-D cutaway poster (probably "canon-until-contradicted) it says "United Starship"

------------------
- Vegetius
Prakesh's Star Trek Site

The359
The bitch is back
Member # 37

- posted      Profile for The359     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Robert Fox is the Federation Ambassador from "A Taste of Armageddon"

Shir Kahr is supposedly the capital of Vulcan, where Spock was born.

And, as for USS, they did say United StarShip on TOS, but, from what I think, the United is merely short for United Federation of Planets.

------------------
"The things hollow--it goes on forever--and--oh my God!--it's full of stars!" -David Bowman's last transmission back to Earth, 2001: A Space Odyssey

The 359 Webpage

[This message has been edited by The359 (edited March 11, 2000).]

Hobbes
 Homicidal Psycho Jungle Cat 
Member # 138

- posted      Profile for Hobbes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Sitak and T'kumbra is also Vulcan, I'm guessing important historical people, there was also a Vulcan admiral Sitak in "Sacrifice of Angels" the same episode the USS Sitak was featured. I think Scovil is Russian.

USS was referred as United Space Ship in "The Cage".

------------------
"In sporting events it's not whether you win or lose, it's how drunk you get." - Homer Simpson
Federation Starship Datalink - On that annoying Tripod server, sucks don't it?

[This message has been edited by Hobbes (edited March 11, 2000).]

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
lalo \La"lo\, n. The powdered leaves of the baobab tree, used by the Africans to mix in their soup, as the southern negroes use powdered sassafras.

From Dictionary.com

Dunno if that's for the ship or not...

------------------
"Yes. I have seventeen brains! And eleven legs. And a pecan."
-Frank Gerratana, March 3, 2000

The359
The bitch is back
Member # 37

- posted      Profile for The359     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Found Lalo. He's a French Composer.

Found at Brittanica.com

------------------
"The things hollow--it goes on forever--and--oh my God!--it's full of stars!" -David Bowman's last transmission back to Earth, 2001: A Space Odyssey

The 359 Webpage

Baloo
Curmudgeon-in-Chief
Member # 5

- posted      Profile for Baloo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
???

Does this mean that French composers grow on Baobab trees? I suppose that also means African cooks used French seasonings in their soups?

------------------
"Helping Tomorrow Feel Superior by Scoffing at Yesterday."
--James Lileks [Motto of The Institute of Official Cheer.]
http://www.geocities.com/cyrano_jones.geo/

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

*ROTFL!*

------------------
- Vegetius
Prakesh's Star Trek Site

David Sands
Member # 132

- posted      Profile for David Sands     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You also mentioned Thomas Paine. He was an author during the United States' Revolution who wrote the essay "Common Sense," generally credited with boosting the morale of a war-weary army and population. At the time it sold over 100,000 copies, an astounding feat of publishing for the day.

------------------
"Warfare is the greatest affair of state, the basis of life and death, the Tao to survivial or extinction. It must be thoroughly pondered and analyzed."

"...attaining one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the pinnacle of excellence. Subjugating the enemy's army without fighting is the true pinnacle of excellence."

-Sun Tzu, The Art of War, 6th century B.C.E.

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Though Thomas Paine himself was British, no?

And though I personally prefer Sitak, it is quite possible that the ship in question was actually named after the USS SeaTac, named after the unfortunate city of the same name that happens to be located between Seattle and Tacoma.

------------------
"What did it mean to fly? A tremor in your soul. To resist the dull insistance of gravity."
--
Camper Van Beethoven

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Which someone already mentioned, though not in such detail. :-)

Anyone know specifically who or what Lantree and Scovil are? I did a very little bit of looking and didn't see anything.

------------------
Homer: "I can see what's happening. They did it to Jesus, and now they're doing it to me."
Marge: "Are you comparing yourself to our lord?!"
Homer: "Well, in bowling ability..."
-The Simpsons

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I too think that USS stands for (United Federation of Planets Starship... not just United Starship... makes more sense seeing as Klingon ships are IKC Imperial Klingon Cruiser...

NCC is a toughy of course - some thinking its Naval Construction Contract... Matt Jefferies said that the US ships are NC - and the Russian ships just happened to be CCC... (well Soviet Ships)

I was thinking about this one day and I think that the N is actually again short for Federation

The CC is possibly anything... Federation Construction Contract fits I guess...

What about NAR - they are federation ships - the n fits but the A and the R - they are also constructed so that seems to cancel the Construction Contract for the NCC...

NAR is used for non Starfleet ships.

Federation Assembly Registration?

------------------
"Who wouldn't be the one you love
Who wouldn't stand inside your love." - Stand Inside Your Love, The Smashing Pumpkins

[This message has been edited by AndrewR (edited March 13, 2000).]

Masao
doesn't like you either
Member # 232

- posted      Profile for Masao     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
According to Bjo Trimbles "Star Trek Corcordance," Jack Scovil is (or was) an American astronaut. I thought that he was a shuttle astronaut, but I couldn't find him on any NASA astronaut lists.

------------------
When you're in the Sol system, come visit the Starfleet Museum

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps