Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Starship names (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Starship names
Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's seems difficult, if not unnecessary, to come up with an acronym for each variation of the registry code we know of. Grouping them together by shared properties seems more appropriate. (All Federation vessels, civilian or otherwise, start with N, Starfleet vessels are CC, unless they are experimental in which case they are X, etc.)

------------------
"What did it mean to fly? A tremor in your soul. To resist the dull insistance of gravity."
--
Camper Van Beethoven

Masao
doesn't like you either
Member # 232

- posted      Profile for Masao     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The only non-Trek reference I could find for Lantree: Ann "Honey" Lantree was the drummer for a 1960s British girl group called the Honeycombs. I admit, the reference is pretty obscure. Doesn't the TNG Companion have anything on this name?

------------------
When you're in the Sol system, come visit the Starfleet Museum

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I read that Gene Roddenberry's first plane IIRC(yes he was a pilot) had the registry NC-something. He used it in the series but thought it was too short so he added a C. Voila!

According to the web there's an old british bloodline by the name of Scovil, tracing back to 1094, when some of the Scovils were knights (real one's).
In the 1700's it seems they moved to Wisconsin and has been there pretty much ever since. But the astronaut thing sounds better. (Although that astronaut probably is in that bloodline somewhere!)

------------------
-At least I can get it up without biomechanical pumps.
-Try falling into a pit of lava, Moffy. Then see how horny you feel.

[This message has been edited by Nimrod (edited March 13, 2000).]

[This message has been edited by Nimrod (edited March 13, 2000).]

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nimrod: Actually, I thought it was Jeffries' plane...

------------------
"To make the merry-go-round go faster, so that everyone needs to hang on tighter, just to keep from being thrown to the wolves."
-They Might Be Giants, "They Might Be Giants"

Hobbes
 Homicidal Psycho Jungle Cat 
Member # 138

- posted      Profile for Hobbes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As for NCC, officially it stands for NOTHING, as stated in the Encyclopedia. I've often wondered where people got Naval Contract Code from. Now if they ever state its meaning in the show, then fine, but until then it means nothing.

------------------
"In sporting events it's not whether you win or lose, it's how drunk you get." - Homer Simpson
Federation Starship Datalink - On that annoying Tripod server, sucks don't it?

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes I think that it was Jefferies' plane. Also that 1701 was choosen cause he discarded numbers that would have been hard to see from a distance so the eliminated, 2,3,5,8 and 9.

He also suggested that 17 meant that it was the 17 class produced and the 01 of that line. Which sorta makes sense for ealier ships - i.e. 8** for the oberth and that the new Excelsior class was 2000 - so the Constitution could have been 1700... It fall apart - maybe when we get to 24 century ships - but maybe they changed the system...

It sorta works - i wen't through the Art of ST and the ST sketch book - if you take all of MJ's designs for the Enterprise - i.e. all the variations - they nicely fit up with 17... this includes a TOS Oberth, Daedelus, Miranda and Challenger looking ships - i.e. those ships designs built with TOS parts.

then there are two more 'modern' looking ships that could be the 1800 or the 1900 and the 2000 would be the Excelsior - which makes sense if it was started only a few years after the Enterprise - that is if they assign registries when they start the project... The excelsior I assume would have been a long time in the making, i.e. Transwarp etc.

I also have a theory that after a certain number of ship registries have been assigned - the 'gaps' can be filled by newer ships... i.e. newer connies have 1600 numbers the Reliant was in the 1800's and the Sydney was 2010 - i.e. I'm sure there wouldn't have initially been many 2000 ships... so the 2010 was available to use - even thought the original line of Sydney class ships were the say 2300's or even the 500's the Jenol*n could have been built well after the first batch.

This allows new classes to be kept close together - i.e. the Danube ships - and irregularities with older registry numbers being used i.e. the ships from First Contact - maybe they just used unused registry numbers from the 50000's...

It also works with that Ambassador that falls within the 10000's either it was in the first batch of Ambassadors, or it just used an unused registry number...

------------------
"Who wouldn't be the one you love
Who wouldn't stand inside your love." - Stand Inside Your Love, The Smashing Pumpkins

Starbuck
"Replicate some marmalade, Commander - helm control is toast!"
Member # 153

- posted      Profile for Starbuck     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Um... AFAIK, the casts of Mission: Impossible and the Original Series used to meet on a regular basis (the two shows were filmed close to each other on the Paramount lot), and some TOS actors appeared in MI - for example, Leonard Nimoy as Paris.
So maybe the USS Lalo is an affectionate tip of the hat to Lalo Schifrin, who wrote the distinctive theme for Mission: Impossible?
As for the others... well, who knows?

------------------
"Replicate some marmalade, Commander - helm control is toast!"

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I dunno. Didn't Ron Moore write TBoBW? He wouldn't have been around on TOS...

------------------
"To make the merry-go-round go faster, so that everyone needs to hang on tighter, just to keep from being thrown to the wolves."
-They Might Be Giants, "They Might Be Giants"

Spike
Pathetic Vampire
Member # 322

- posted      Profile for Spike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Naval Construction Contract is used in "Final Frontier" by Diane Carey

------------------
"No matter where you go, there you are."

Hobbes
 Homicidal Psycho Jungle Cat 
Member # 138

- posted      Profile for Hobbes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Fitz, books are not canon...or are you explaining where Naval Contract Code comes from?

------------------
"Tigers are mean! Tigers are fierce! Tigers have teeth and claws that pierce!" ~ Hobbes
Federation Starship Datalink - On that annoying Tripod server, sucks don't it?

[This message has been edited by Hobbes (edited March 17, 2000).]

Spike
Pathetic Vampire
Member # 322

- posted      Profile for Spike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wanted to explain, where it comes from.

------------------
"No matter where you go, there you are."

Federation Shipmaster
Kai Tak Pilot
Member # 15

- posted      Profile for Federation Shipmaster     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Shika Maru: Maru was not a suufix in the Japanese Navy, but rather usually put at the end of transport ships. Another ship with Maru, is of course, the Kobayashi Maru, which is supposedly a freighter.
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps