Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » The extralarge battleship in WYLB (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: The extralarge battleship in WYLB
Bernd
Guy from Old Europe
Member # 6

- posted      Profile for Bernd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
These images are from http://stardock.simplenet.com/startrek/index.html:

Spot the Breen ship! http://stardock.simplenet.com/startrek/pics/what_you_leave_behind/099.jpg

Yes, the battlecruiser is *above* the battleship: http://stardock.simplenet.com/startrek/pics/what_you_leave_behind/100.jpg

------------------
"Species 5618, human. Warp-capable, origin grid 325, physiology inefficient, below average cranium capacity, minimum redundant systems, limited regenerative abilities."
Ex Astris Scientia

Davok
Member # 143

- posted      Profile for Davok     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I guess there's some kind of spacial anomaly between the ship and the TV camera...

------------------
USS Allegiance LCARS Database

Starship Freak
Member # 293

- posted      Profile for Starship Freak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Stupid question: is it true that the dominion�s battleship exists in two versions, one in "The valiant" and the superbig in the later episode? (since I can�t see these episodes myself, I have no way of knowing...)

------------------
"The Starships of the Federation are the physical, tangible manifestations of Humanity�s stubborn insistence that life does indeed mean something."
Spock to Leonard McCoy in "Final Frontier"

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The one in "Valiant" is the superbig...

------------------
Falls don't hurt. It's the sudden stop when you reach the bottom that hurts.

[This message has been edited by Fabrux (edited May 23, 2000).]

Michael Dracon
aka: NightWing or Altair
Member # 4

- posted      Profile for Michael Dracon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just some extra info: The Breen ship is about 300 meters long, or: just a little longer than a Miranda class but shorter than a Galor class.

------------------
Meddle not in the affairs of dragons for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!

(-=\V/=-)

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
pIn'a', there's the first 200-300m battlecruiser seen in the purple nebula in "In Purgatory's Shadow", then there's the 400-500m standard battlecruiser seen after said ep, then there's the 1200-1500m battleship. The "Valiant"-ship and WYLB are the same.

------------------
I'm not an atheist, I'm a maybeist�

Dax
Paradox
Member # 191

- posted      Profile for Dax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's strange how we never saw the Purgatory cruiser after that episode. Although it looks different I tend to think that it and the normal battle cruisers are meant to represent the same design in the show. Also, would I be right in thinking that the Purgatory cruiser was only built as a physical model but the normal cruiser only exists as a CGI?

------------------
"Forgive me if I don't share your euphoria!" (Weyoun to Dukat, Tears of the Prophets)
Dax's Ships of STAR TREK

Michael Dracon
Member # 4

- posted      Profile for Michael Dracon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually we did see it. You can see one turning around and shooting down a Miranda class in the famous 'Sacrifice of Angels: kill the two Miranda's which are next to the Defiant' scene (which is also used in WYLB).

There are only a few 700-800m Dominion visible in most battles, like the one at the end of the SofA blockade, where the Defiant skims over the surface.

Try looking at the first wave of ships in 'Call to Arms'. One ship has a lot of bright purple colors is clearly larger, the rest are grey-ish with little or no other colors. Those grey ones are most probably the 300-400m ones.

------------------
Meddle not in the affairs of dragons for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!

(-=\V/=-)

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What about the ships that have a pronounced anhedral to the wings? The "V-type" ships, so to say, from the wormhole scene of "Sacrifice of the Angels"?

How many truly different *designs* are there, apart from scaled-up or scaled-down ones? One could argue there are two sizes of the small attack ship, but there's just one design. And there's just one battleship design. But the midsize ships are confusing. Are there two or three designs?

Three would include two with level wings but different-sized nacelles wrt the body, one with V wings - but do the different-sized nacelles really exist, or is this just an artistic error between the Fact Files and the Encyclopedia?

Timo Saloniemi

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd say there is evidence for three seperate designs.

The standard cruiser: image.

The "Valiant" supersized cruiser: image.

The V-shaped cruiser. I didn't find an image of this one in my hasty five minute search. But it's clearly a different shape than the standard one.

------------------
"While it is true that 15% of home accidents are caused by large penis related incidents, only a small number have ever been known to be fatal."
Read chapter one of "Dirk Tungsten in...The Disappearing Planet"!

[This message has been edited by Sol System (edited May 25, 2000).]

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You can get a screencap from the purgatory-promo, downloadable from startrek.com. You know, print-scrn and then add in some photo-program.

------------------
I'm not an atheist, I'm a maybeist�

Starship Freak
Member # 293

- posted      Profile for Starship Freak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Altair: "Call of arms", got any pics of that jem hadar ship? I can�t seem to find it anywhere.

------------------
"The Starships of the Federation are the physical, tangible manifestations of Humanity�s stubborn insistence that life does indeed mean something."

Starship Freak
Member # 293

For pics of the Jem Hadar ships, check out my page: http://w1.314.telia.com/~u31412332/misc/jem.htm

------------------

Michael Dracon
Member # 4

pIn'a'Sov: Do you have bigger scans of those collored wireframes of the huge battleship?

------------------

(-=\V/=-)

[This message has been edited by Altair (edited May 25, 2000).]

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And how about clarifying the canonical terminology?

Is "Attack Ship" canonical for the small fighting vessels, or is it just from the Encyclopedia and DS9 TM? Have other designations been used in the episodes?
Which episodes?

Is "Cruiser" or "Battlecruiser" canonical for the midsize vessels? For all the variants? Or just some of them? Which episodes use the terminology?

Was the big ship in "Valiant" a "Battlecruiser" or a "Battleship"?

Timo Saloniemi

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps