Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Olympic Class (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Olympic Class
Obi Juan
Who's your master?
Member # 90

- posted      Profile for Obi Juan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If the Oly is actually in service in the regular Star Trek timeline (as the Okudas would have us believe, and the registry would support), then why haven't we seen any of the damn things? I like the Olympic class a lot, and they have a perfectly good model siting around somewhere gathering dust(unless they let the guy who used to be in charge of movinging the Ambassador handle it), while ancient designs like the miranda are still in use and Sterbach and Co. are turning out freaky kitbashes to take up space behind DS9.
I suppose of course that everyone else besides the Okudas assume that the ship does not exist (yet).

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think it all comes down to computer graphics. While there's an Olympic class model, there isn't an Olympic class CGI model. Hence, no onscreen appearences.

------------------
"While it is true that 15% of home accidents are caused by large penis related incidents, only a small number have ever been known to be fatal."
Read chapter one of "Dirk Tungsten in...The Disappearing Planet"!

nx001a
Member # 291

- posted      Profile for nx001a     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Olympic is a medical vessel and it is likely we will see them during the war with the dominion especially at the frontlines.

------------------
"We set sail on this new sea because their is new knowledge to be gained and new rights to be won" John F Kennedy

members.aol.com/mfwan/index.htm

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Spoilers for those more than a year behind in their DS9 episode watching...

dude, war's over. Not a one.

------------------
"Nobody knows this, but I'm scared all the time... of what I might do, if I ever let go." -- Michael Garibaldi

The359
The bitch is back
Member # 37

- posted      Profile for The359     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I believe the Olympic model is actually owned by a guy at ILM, and he only lent it to Star Trek for "All Good Things...", so Paramount may not even have to model at their disposal.

------------------
"The things hollow--it goes on forever--and--oh my God!--it's full of stars!" -David Bowman's last transmission back to Earth, 2001: A Space Odyssey

The 359 Webpage

Hobbes
 Homicidal Psycho Jungle Cat 
Member # 138

- posted      Profile for Hobbes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Or there's just no need to shoot one. No place for it in Voyager with the ship being out of Federation space and all.

------------------
"If at first you don't succeed, skydiving isn't for you."
Federation Starship Datalink - On that annoying Tripod server.

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well I feel such a ship would have been perfect in and around DS9 or starbase 375 during the dommie war... maybe not when DS9 was about to fall, but when it was a Federation stronghold again, yes.

Andrew

------------------
"chocolate cherries allamanda" - Datura, Tori Amos

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Another one for the "Things they should have done on DS9"-list.

They should have re-used some BoBW-designs!! Cheyennes, New Orleaners, OLYMPICS, AMBASSADORS!
Instead, they threw together a Yeager-class and used Miranda's, Excelsiors and wrong CGI's of the Nebula . The only thing good were the Akira ships..

BTW, did we ever see Steamrunners, Norways or Sabres on DS9?

------------------
If you want to get your soul to heaven,
trust in me.
Don't judge or question.
You are broken now,
but faith can heal you.
Just do everything I tell you to do.
Deaf and blind and dumb and born to follow.
Let me lay my holy hand upon you.

-Tool, "Opiate"
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Prakesh's Star Trek Site

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There were a few Steamrunners, yes. Dunno about Norways of Sabres....

------------------
Falls don't hurt. It's the sudden stop when you reach the bottom that hurts.

Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sabres were visible in SoA, and no Norways have been seen outside of FC, due to lack of model detail.

------------------
"Ultra Magnus is Undeniably Fun!" David Stevens, New York Magazine.
"Total Complete excitement from start to finish!" -WPIX-TV, New York
"This isn't a thrill ride, it's a rocket..." -Richard Caves, Time Magazine.

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How hard is it to ad some model detail? At least there is an ACTUAL model to be worked on.

Sometimes I feel instead of all these new ships, they should be resurrecting some of the older ships.

Andrew

------------------
"chocolate cherries allamanda" - Datura, Tori Amos

Obi Juan
Who's your master?
Member # 90

- posted      Profile for Obi Juan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Did they still use any model shots in the later years of DS9, or was it all CGI?
I ask because if they were still using models I would have to agree with Andrew that should've showed a New Orleans or Cheyenne in one of the big DS9 battle scenes. Yes, I have seen pics of the models and know that they weren't very well detailed, but they could have been used in much the same way they were in BOBW (all shot up in the background).

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Centaur Type, Shelley Class, and Yeager class are all physical models. I don't have any direct knowledge of this, but why else would they make a new class out of existing AMT model parts. If they were computer modeling those ships, they could've created whole new designs. I really don't see why they didn't bash a Galaxy class to make a Freedom or a New Orleans.

That raises another question. Were there any Nebula Classes seen in the big battle sequences as DS9 finished up? I don't recall any.

------------------
"A gathering of Angels appeared above my head. They sang to me this song of hope, and this is what they said..." -Styx

Aban's Illustration www.thespeakeasy.com/alanfore

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There was at least one very clearly seen toward the end, yes.

------------------
Frank's Home Page
June is National Accordion Awareness Month.
"I usually feature the accordion on three or four songs every album, which is three or four more accordion-based songs than most Top 40 albums have." - Weird Al Yankovic

Dat
Huh?
Member # 302

- posted      Profile for Dat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Though those Nebulas were all CGI and improperly done. 1) There were windows on the saucer near the edge where there shouldn't be. 2) The wedge between the pylons and the nacelles are the same size as those on Galaxys when on the Nebulas, they should be bigger. 3) It actually looks like they used a Galaxy saucer in making the Nebula saucer. They covered up the area where the Galaxy saucer impulse engines are. The hull color is different. 4) There doesn't appear to be any phaser strips along the aft dorsal saucer.

Can we accept this is another variant on the Nebula class or is it just a mistake that is meant to be ignored.

------------------
7 alarm clock: "Do not touch me."
Dilbert: "Then how do I turn you off?"
7: "Believe me, I am plenty turned off."

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps