Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Olympic Class (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Olympic Class
Obi Juan
Who's your master?
Member # 90

- posted      Profile for Obi Juan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is that the Nebula CGI shown at the end of Generations?
AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wasn't that a model of the Nebula at the end of Generations, I remember them sprucing her up a la the E-D for the movie - i.e. the six foot model of the Enterprise was stripped down and repainted, I think they did the same for the Farragut.

Andrew

------------------
"chocolate cherries allamanda" - Datura, Tori Amos

Dat
Huh?
Member # 302

- posted      Profile for Dat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Farragut was indeed a physical model. They added thrusters to the weapons pod and changed the locations of a few decals and that was it.

------------------
7 alarm clock: "Do not touch me."
Dilbert: "Then how do I turn you off?"
7: "Believe me, I am plenty turned off."

Mikey T
Driven
Member # 144

- posted      Profile for Mikey T     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Who has Bill George's e-mail address? Maybe someone could ask him what happend to his Pasteur.

------------------
"Life's a bitch, then you die"
-USS Luzon, Vanderbuilt Class starship

ginsu
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello, i'm new around here and would like to
say hi to everyone. I had a question about
the post saying the Norway CGI didn't have
enough detail so it hasn't appeared outside
of FC. Okay, to my understanding, when a
model is built for television, it doesn't have the same level of detail as a model
built for a motion picture. So, for that reason, the TV models aren't used in movies
(at least not without being refurbished or
upgraded first). So if the Norway was built
for a movie, shouldn't it have more than enough detail for the smaller TV screen(even
if it wasn't AS detailed as the other FC models)? Also, i could swear I did see a
Norway in SoA;I'll have to watch the tape
again to be sure.

As far as Steamrunners and Sabres, both of them were seen in "Tears of the Prophets" and
the final season episode where the Breen attack Earth and retake the Chintoka system

ginsu

------------------

IP: Logged
Hobbes
 Homicidal Psycho Jungle Cat 
Member # 138

- posted      Profile for Hobbes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well we could always say that the Norway mesh was lost and they never bothered to make a new one. Though I have a similar question about the Sovereign-class, if there's been a CGI model made why not put it in DS9?

------------------
"If at first you don't succeed, skydiving isn't for you."
Federation Starship Datalink - On that annoying Tripod server.

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, if lack of detail was the reason, it may not be that they couldn't use it, but that they just didn't want to. If none of the people working on DS9 liked the ship, they wouldn't have used it. Just guessing, though...

------------------
"This is Major Tom to ground control. I'm stepping through the door, and I'm floating in a most peculiar way. And the stars look very different today..."
-David Bowie, "Space Oddity"

Mikey T
Driven
Member # 144

- posted      Profile for Mikey T     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think we know why we didn't see any of the Enterprise-E's sisters, the model is reserved for the movie til the big wigs say so.

------------------
"Life's a bitch, then you die"
-USS Luzon, Vanderbuilt Class starship

Captain Richard Miloshkin
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
About the Olypmic class...

Isn't it logical that they wouldn't be part of the main fleets during the battle scenes in DS9? I mean, they'd be sitting ducks. They're slow, lightly armed, and the only thing they have going for them is perhaps decent shielding.

Logic also dictates that these medical ships would not lower their shields to evacuate casualties. This has something to do with the phaser fire and torpedoes all over da place

So...they'd be used AFTER the battle scenes we have seen...so that's why we didn't see them when we were seeing dozens of different ships at once.

No excuse for not having them at DS9 during the war though, during shots of the station. Cheap blighters prolly didn't even think of making another model or CGI of the Olympic...

*steps off of soap box*

------------------
Millions long for immortality who don't know what to do on a rainy afternoon. --- Susan Ertz

IP: Logged
Michael Dracon
aka: NightWing or Altair
Member # 4

- posted      Profile for Michael Dracon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Our new Captain has got a very good point there!

------------------
"From where I'm sitting now, the plot is manacled to a monorail with a GPS system stapled to its buttocks."
- Jim Wright, about 'Unimatrix Zero'

(-=\V/=-)

Alpha Centauri
Usually seen somewhere in the Southern skies
Member # 338

- posted      Profile for Alpha Centauri     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Even if the Olympics were well armed and well shielded, it would still be unwise to set them at the frontlines. Think of all those injured people on board. If an Olympic got hit, dying and nearly-dying people fly all over the place because of the impact.
Safety first!

------------------
These are the voyages of the Starship Voyager. It's continuing mission: to invalidate the laws of physics. To waste time visiting obscure little planets. To boldly try never to get home.

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ya, but as I said, Floating around DS9 would have been the perfect place. I'm sure the infirmary on DS9 wasn't equipped to handle ALL those casualties.

------------------

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
But what WAS DS9 equipped to handle? It wasn't a real starbase capable of supporting Federation starships - I bet there wasn't even an antimatter generator aboard originally. It was a Cardassian mining and intimidation station originally, and probably relatively useless as anything except a floating cargo port and entertainment center during the first two seasons. The upgrades in the third season turned it into a gunnery outpost of some sort. But we never heard if there were upgrades to turn it into a fleet supply station.

Perhaps the starships in the Bajoran system did not use DS9 as their main supply depot at all. Perhaps only Martok's office was really located there, and all the other fleet activity was centered around Bajor? Then the hospital ships would be there, too, and not near DS9.

Timo Saloniemi

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, it's bigger than the average fed-starbase, like 375, and it's got 16 docking ports and lots of elbowroom.

------------------
I'm not an atheist, I'm a maybeist�

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

LOL

"A renovator's dream"
"A quaint little fixer-upper"

I guess as soon as the wormhole was founded it was primarily to protect the alpha quadrant opening...

If there was no wormhole... how mundane...

Hmmmmm that would have made for a good episode... if The Wormhole was never discovered and DS9 never moved...

------------------

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps