Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Digital Muse's DS9 Tribute (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Digital Muse's DS9 Tribute
Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Before we start breaking timepieces, let's calm down and consider the possibility that the deflector can be both gold AND blue.

Just go and watch TMP and ST2. When Scotty starts shovelin' the antimatter, the deflector dish of the Enterprise glows gold at first, and only later assumes the bright blue glare. Perhaps gold hue refers to low-power operations? The Sabre in DS9 could have minor power problems, or be moving slowly, or something...

Timo Saloniemi

Curry Monster
Somewhere in Australia
Member # 12

- posted      Profile for Curry Monster     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Timo - Nice catch.

------------------
"Remeber, if there is a nuclear explosion, be sure to close your windows as the massive heat could cause objects within your home to catch fire".

Wise, wise words.

Bernd
Guy from Old Europe
Member # 6

- posted      Profile for Bernd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Let's assume there is a dispersion within the deflector dish that lets us see the spectral components around 400nm at a perpendicular angle and more towards 600nm at a tilted angle. Oh sh*t. It should be the other way round.

------------------
"Species 5618, human. Warp-capable, origin grid 325, physiology inefficient, below average cranium capacity, minimum redundant systems, limited regenerative abilities."
Ex Astris Scientia

Captain Richard Miloshkin
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*jaw gapes for a few minutes*

Fascinating.

Too bad they had to spoil the beauty by putting a bloody Miranda in there... Ah well.

ILM...Illogical Lusch Mamzers (Yiddish for bastards... ) .. from hell too, I might add.

*burns effigies of their graphics designers and the Paramount executives that hired them*

------------------
Millions long for immortality who don't know what to do on a rainy afternoon. --- Susan Ertz

IP: Logged
Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What's everyone got against ILM?

------------------
Falls don't hurt. It's the sudden stop when you reach the bottom that hurts.

Ex-Member

Was it the fault of Paramount or ILM for these few little problems? (If ILM didn't do all the major battle scenes I stand corrected)...

a) They CGIed the old Excelsior class instead of the newer Excelsior variant (Lakota)
b) They didn't CGI several classes of starship (Ambassadar, New Orleans, Intrepid for instance) and overused the Miranda and Excelsior CGIs
c) NO SHIELDS are observed during any of the big battle sequences that I can recall

I'm assuming that it would've cost more to do anything different than the above...but c'mon. It wouldn't have taken THAT much more...to add so much more realism for us hardcore fans

------------------
Millions long for immortality who don't know what to do on a rainy afternoon. --- Susan Ertz

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ILM didn't do anything for the TV series, except the stock footage of the Enterprise-D going to warp. ILM did do most of the movies, except Insurrection and (I think) Star Trek III and V.

------------------
Frank's Home Page
June is National Accordion Awareness Month.
"I usually feature the accordion on three or four songs every album, which is three or four more accordion-based songs than most Top 40 albums have." - Weird Al Yankovic

Dax
Paradox
Member # 191

- posted      Profile for Dax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ILM didn't do ST-III? I thought they did.

------------------
"Forgive me if I don't share your euphoria!" (Weyoun to Dukat, Tears of the Prophets)
Dax's Ships of STAR TREK

Ex-Member

Who are the criminal computer graphics designers that are responsible for the battle scenes for the last two seasons of DS9?

------------------

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If I'm not mistaken, the company that this thread is named after.

------------------
Falls don't hurt. It's the sudden stop when you reach the bottom that hurts.

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A small army of companies, actually.

Well, a handful.

Anyway, it's also possible that different Sabre's simply have different model deflectors, isn't it?

"Sir, we've run out of the MK-CB/281's."

"They need these ships out in sector 90210 yesterday! Just modify the 282's."

------------------
"While it is true that 15% of home accidents are caused by large penis related incidents, only a small number have ever been known to be fatal."
Read chapter one of "Dirk Tungsten in...The Disappearing Planet"!

ginsu
Ex-Member

ILM did the effects for all the movies except
The Motion Picture, Final Frontier and Insurrection. One of the problems with ILM
is they are so expensive. I think this is
the reason they went with someone else for the last movie(I think Frakes said something
about getting "more bang for the buck".)
I remember reading somewhere that originaly
Berman and Co. wanted around twelve new Federation starship designs for FC, but when
Paramount saw the pricetag for what ILM was
going to charge to build all those CGI ships
they cut the number down to four real quick.
Sigh, twelve ships woulda been sweet....

ginsu

------------------

Hobbes
 Homicidal Psycho Jungle Cat 
Member # 138

- posted      Profile for Hobbes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hell yeah it would of!

Word of advice ginsu, you don't need to return at the end of the line. We have word wrapping here.

------------------
"If at first you don't succeed, skydiving isn't for you."
Federation Starship Datalink - On that annoying Tripod server.

Jim Phelps
watches Voyager AFTER 51030
Member # 102

- posted      Profile for Jim Phelps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Digital Muse carried the VFX load on DS9 seasons six and seven. Before that, a company called VisionArt provided the CGI effects. These didn't seem to involve a lot of CGI models though, as the company's designers only speak about building the runabout, Defiant, and the Jem'Hadar attack ship in CGI, besides doing a number of Odo morphs. DS9 was always primarily a model show, with Image "G" providing the motion control facillities needed.

The big change took place with "Sacrifice of Angels", the episode for which Foundation Imaging and Digital Muse built the fleets together (DM did the Fed ships, while FI did the aliens). After this episode, Digital Muse became the regular CGI provider. While it is true that FI is mainly assigned to Voyager, the two companies would sometimes switch shows to ease each other's workload (DMuse built the Equinox, for instance, while FI did the fire caves in "What You Leave Behind").

Boris

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps