Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Dominion ships (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Dominion ships
Matrix
AMEAN McAvoy
Member # 376

- posted      Profile for Matrix     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am just tring to get this clear. There are 4-5 Dominion ships right? The attack ship (aka Jemmie Buggie), Heavy Cruiser (V-Wing), Battlecruiser, (aka Battlecruiser), and the Battleship (aka F**king Large Ship) In some sites they say there the Valaint battleship has a larger varient too?

------------------
It is better to walk the path of the devil than to be in the path of the devil. Though it still might not be the right path.

Alpha Centauri
Usually seen somewhere in the Southern skies
Member # 338

- posted      Profile for Alpha Centauri     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I believe the "Valiant" ship is the 'f**king large ship'. But I'm not sure of that, didn't see much of DS9.

------------------
Advertisement in the United Federation NewsPADD, SD 53675:

"Now for sale at your local dealer: Antares class vessels, as good as new! They can shapeshift! Everybody in the galaxy has one! Now for only $800!"

Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

- posted      Profile for Dukhat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Matrix: Yes, you're right. When the Dominion fleet came through the wormhole, the ships consisted of the "bugs" and the "V-wings." When Dukat and Weyoun visited DS9 (sorry, don't remember episode names), they used the battlecruiser type. Finally, the Valiant episode introduced the battleship prototype.

I haven't heard anything about a battleship variant.

------------------
Captain Tenille: "Oh, Simpson, you're like the son I never had."
Homer: "And you're like the father I never visit."

[This message has been edited by Dukhat (edited July 13, 2000).]

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OTTOMH, chronologically:

• Bug (The Jem'Hadar)
  • V-Ship (In Purgatory's...)
  • Battlecruiser (Ties of Blood & Water)
  • "Battlebattlecruiser" (SofA)
  • Battleship (Valiant)

That's five different designs, not counting the Battlecruiser's possible status as two different-sized ships. I am quite positive there is no Battleship variant.

------------------
    "Truth about Santa Claus debunks Santa God. God evolves from Santa."
    -Gene Ray, http://www.timecube.com

[This message has been edited by The_Tom (edited July 13, 2000).]

• Michael Dracon
    aka: NightWing or Altair
    Member # 4

- posted      Profile for Michael Dracon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
    There are only 3 different shapes of ships:
    1: The Bug.
    2: The main battle ship.
    3: The big one seen in 'Valiant' and later in 'What You Leave Behind'. Scaling is almost identical in both episodes (And yes, I know that this doesn't match with the "twice the size of the Galaxy Class", but did you see the surpriced faces when they saw the ship in 'Valiant' for the first time?).

The confussion is that there were 3 different models used for the main battle ship.

In chron. order:
    1: CGI #1, seen from 'In Purgatory's Shadow' until 'Call to Arms'. This is also known as the V-ship type.
    2: Physical model, seen in various stock footage scenes docked at DS9. Also used in 'Call to Arms'.
    3: CGI #2. Introduced in 'Sacrifice of Angels'. Wings matched the physical model, where the nacelles are more in line with the massive middle torpedo launcher (or whatever it is). Wings are curved a little, while the model has straigth wings.

In 'Call to Arms' both the first CGI and the physical model are used.

------------------
    "I think I speak for everyone here when I say, 'Huh?'."
    - Buffy

Nim
    The Aardvark asked for a dagger
    Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
    Another thing...we've never seen the battlecruisers fire energy-weapons (phased polaron-beams?), have we? Just their version of quantum torp's.

------------------
    Ready for the action now, Dangerboy
    Ready if I'm ready for you, Dangerboy
    Ready if I want it now, Dangerboy?
    How dare you, dare you, Dangerboy?
    How dare you, Dangerboy?
    I dare you, dare you, Dangerboy...

�on Flux, "Thanatophobia"

Dax
    Paradox
    Member # 191

- posted      Profile for Dax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
    I believe you're right, Nimrod. Conversely, the Jemmy Bugs never fired torpedoes - only beams.

------------------
    "Forgive me if I don't share your euphoria!" (Weyoun to Dukat, Tears of the Prophets)
    Dax's Ships of STAR TREK

Michael Dracon
    Member # 4

- posted      Profile for Michael Dracon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
    The Bugs fired 'bolts' at the Odessey. A main battle ship fired at least 2 beams at the Defiant when it left DS9 with the Bird of Prey in 'Call to Arms'. The beams both came from the top side at about the same location as torpedo launcher.

------------------
    - Buffy

Matrix
    AMEAN McAvoy
    Member # 376

- posted      Profile for Matrix     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
    Possibly the Federation now has shields that can withstand most of the danage done by poloron weapons. So the battlecruiser has to fire torpedoes instead becuase their once great weapon is now nothing more than your average weapon. The attack ships use this alot becuase their small size would indicate that they would either have a small torpedo complement or don't have one at all.

------------------
    It is better to walk the path of the devil than to be in the path of the devil. Though it still might not be the right path.

The_Tom
    recently silent
    Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
    *just had the contents of this post removed by a crash*

The V-ship, battlecruiser and "battlebattlecruiser" are, as far as the scripts are concerned, all the same ship. But their design and scale differences suggest they can't be brushed aside like the multitudinous Nebula variations, and are indeed seperate ships. The V-ship is not likely to be longer than 400m, and the "battlebattlecruiser" (sole appearance: SofA) is not likely to be shorter than 800m, with the standard battlecruiser fitting somewhere in the middle (barring the one appearance in SofA when it was shorter than the Galors). BTW, both the standard and the "battlebattlecruiser" appear in SofA. The "battlebattlecruiser" is the different ship the Defiant flies over at the end.

BTW, there's a CGI for all three ships (and the Valiant superbattleship, too), plus a physical model of the standard battlecruiser.

------------------
    "Truth about Santa Claus debunks Santa God. God evolves from Santa."
    -Gene Ray, http://www.timecube.com

[This message has been edited by The_Tom (edited July 15, 2000).]

Nemesis
    Member # 255

- posted      Profile for Nemesis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
    Are these Jem'Hadar battlecruiser versions really supposed to be different designs? Maybe this was just a fault in the cgi-department or their schematics were not very accurate. I like to think that these ships were supposed to be different configurations, like the miranda-class. Maybe one version was built for speed, one for extra firepower and so on...

------------------
    This is how i prefer the borg... in pieces!!! -- Janeway in Dark Frontier
    http://www.seventhworld.de.vu

[This message has been edited by Nemesis (edited July 15, 2000).]

Michael Dracon
    Member # 4

Okay:
    Real world: 3 different models (Bug, main ship, Valiant type), of which the main ship has 3 different models, two CGI and one physical. These 3 models are indeed somewhat different, mostly in the curving of the wings and the pink and purple lights.

Star Trek: I think it's similar to the Klingon Bird of Prey.
    I also like to think that that 'thing' on the bottom center of the main ship is modular.

------------------
    - Buffy

Matrix
    AMEAN McAvoy
    Member # 376

So, if Starfleet could have a fleet well above the tens of thousands? I still support the idea that Starfleet might have a fleet about 10,000 ships spread all over their territory. Only reason why we haven't seen that many ships becuase it would take months to reach the battlefield from the other side of Federation territory.

30,000 ships? If Starfleet could build that many ships, Klingons, Romulans, Ferengi, and the Cardassions would be the intertgalactic INSECTS. But that would politically incorrect for that day and age.

Weyoun did say that the Dominion would need a large fleet to invade the Federation all the way to Earth.

------------------

Matrix
    AMEAN McAvoy
    Member # 376

Why did it post it here? I was on the Starfleet size topic not this? Could someone swtich this please?

------------------

TSN
    I'm... from Earth.
    Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
    Erm... No, I don't think there's a "post move" function. Just copy-and-paste it into a reply in the other thread.

------------------
    "I just measured him. He's about 21"."
    -Chris Martin, 14-Jul-2000

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
    HTML is enabled.
    UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
     - Printer-friendly view of this topic
    Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps