Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Thoughts on the Enterprise-A (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Thoughts on the Enterprise-A
Matrix
AMEAN McAvoy
Member # 376

- posted      Profile for Matrix     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What did you think of the Enterprise when you first saw her again In Star Trek I The SloW-Motion Picture?

Though I saw her before I saw the Enterprise in the series but she had so much grace in her design. She was so beuatiful and powerful looking at the same time. A trait most of the current Star Trekdesigns lack.

------------------
It is better to walk the path of the devil than to be in the path of the devil. Though it still might not be the right path.

Michael Dracon
aka: NightWing or Altair
Member # 4

- posted      Profile for Michael Dracon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I thought she looked great!

One small nit: That isn't the Enterprise-A. The Ent-A was first seen in ST4:'The Voyager Home'.

------------------
"I think I speak for everyone here when I say, 'Huh?'."
- Buffy

Alpha Centauri
Usually seen somewhere in the Southern skies
Member # 338

- posted      Profile for Alpha Centauri     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, the Enterprise in STTMP, ST2 and ST3 was the original one, but 'refitted'. I love the design, it is much more beautiful than the TOS Enterprise. What an ugly design. (although saying that is sort of a taboo...)

------------------
Advertisement in the United Federation NewsPADD, SD 53675:

"Now for sale at your local dealer: Antares class vessels, as good as new! They can shapeshift! Everybody in the galaxy has one! Now for only $800!"

Bernd
Guy from Old Europe
Member # 6

- posted      Profile for Bernd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Constitution refit is an ingenious and beautiful starship design. Agreed, Matt Jefferies designed the original Constitution - which isn't bad at all - and set the standards. But Probert's E-A is among the most well-considered designs, together with the Galaxy (Probert) and the Intrepid (Sternbach). Moreover, the E-A is probably the most realistically looking ship. I still think they filmed TMP in a real drydock!

------------------
"Species 5618, human. Warp-capable, origin grid 325, physiology inefficient, below average cranium capacity, minimum redundant systems, limited regenerative abilities."
Ex Astris Scientia

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree with Bernd about the Connie and the Galaxy, but *not* on the Intrepid! I just don't like the flapping nacelles and the fact that it can withstand the ridiculous conditions in wich Voyager is set (in fact, I regard the entire Voyager series semi-canon ).

Instead of the Intrepid, I'd place the Olympic, simply a beauty. And I'd add the Excelsior, the first class newly designed after the Connie kitbashers!

------------------
MS Windows Error 014: Unexplained error - Please tell us how this happened
---
Prakesh's Star Trek Site

Matrix
AMEAN McAvoy
Member # 376

- posted      Profile for Matrix     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think one of the most beautiful shots of the two is when the damaged Enterprise went into drydock and you can see the Excelsior in the same shot. I wish we can see the Enterprise-A one more time.

------------------
It is better to walk the path of the devil than to be in the path of the devil. Though it still might not be the right path.

Nemesis
Member # 255

- posted      Profile for Nemesis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like the scene in "Undiscovered Country" when General Chang is quoting Shakespeare and you see the Enterprise flying by.
The Refit-Constitution looks very good, but it has two design flaws for me: the neck and the pylons....they are too fragile.
What Bridge-Design of the Enterprise do you like most of the movies?
My favourite is also the Enterprise Bridge in ST6.

------------------
This is how i prefer the borg... in pieces!!! -- Janeway in Dark Frontier

Seventhworld, the new SciFi-Project
http://members.aol.com/fallenwalls
Soon to be featured StarTrek Nemesis

Matrix
AMEAN McAvoy
Member # 376

Yeah that's the best bridge I think ever in Star Trek.

------------------

Dax
Paradox
Member # 191

- posted      Profile for Dax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yep, I agree, the ST6 bridge is definately the best for the Ent-refit/A. I also really like the Constitution-refit design. The only thing that bothers me is that it doesn't have any aft torpedo launchers.

------------------
"Forgive me if I don't share your euphoria!" (Weyoun to Dukat, Tears of the Prophets)
Dax's Ships of STAR TREK

Cammodude
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree, no aft torpedo launchers is a VERY big minus. Especaly it combat. Which could be one reason why starfleet retired them. It was because they can be distroyed to easily from behind.

------------------
"If I knew you were coming I would have baked a cake...learned to sing....stop me Gage!"
--Aurther
The Journeyman Project 3

IP: Logged
Matrix
AMEAN McAvoy
Member # 376

There is no apparent phaser cover either in the aft section. However I like the idea that in the Ships of the Fleet say that the "Enterprise class" has aft phasers above the shuttlebay and the bottom of the engineering hull. Also there is modification which has a aft torpedo launcher.

------------------

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Um....there IS aft phaser coverage on the refits. It's been integral since day oen of the redesign. Look at the TMP blueprints--2 single units above the hangar bay & 2 single units in a square on the lowermost point of the ventral secondary hull.

------------------
"Do you know how much YOU'RE worth??.....2.5 million Woolongs. THAT'S your bounty. I SAID you were small fry..." --Spike Spiegel

Fructose
Member # 309

- posted      Profile for Fructose     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, if you look at pictures of the studio model, there are phasers there too. They've just never been used.

------------------
It doesn't matter if you don't know what you're doing as long as you look good doing it.

Spike
Pathetic Vampire
Member # 322

- posted      Profile for Spike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My favorites in Ship & Bridge Design are the E-A and the Excelsior.

------------------
"No matter where you go, there you are."

Trip Tucker
Member # 297

- posted      Profile for Trip Tucker     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know it wasn't a real Starfleet ship, but my favourite bridge design would have to be that of the Dauntless. It's a toss-up really.... The Dauntless bridge or the Prometheus bridge.

------------------
"Impossible is a word humans use far too often."
-Seven of Nine

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps