Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Constitution Class caught alive? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Constitution Class caught alive?
Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
To get right to business: is the Constitution Class still in service?
Many people just assume that they're not around anymore, but this has never be confirmed or denied by any episode.

There is only one dialogue in wich Picard says that there is a Constitution in Museum (or was it a training ship, I forgot). I think he meant that either a non-refit Const. or a Const with old computers 'n' stuff (no TNG-LCARS, that is).

Further more, there are two sightings of the Constitution Refit in TNG & DS9:
The first one was the secondary hull spinning around in one version of "Best of Both Worlds, Part II". Recently, Okuda more or less confirmed that the prominent piece of wreckage in the lower left corner of the viewscreen (in the same ep) was the Enterprise saucer after the destruction in Star Trek III: TSFP.
The second sighting of the class was in "The Sound of Her Voice". In this episode, a starship has crashed on a planet and we are showed the wreckage. Now, this is just IMO, these pieces of wreckage look a lot like the destroyed STIII Enterprise:
1) The saucer looks remarkably like the one in BoBW, desribed above
2) We get to see a structure that looks like a Constitution refit nacelle sticking out of the ground.

WIth all this evidence, I believe the Constitution is still in active service, just like (but not so abundant) as the Miranda. Another question: what was the mission of the SoHV ship?

------------------
FuckU-FuckMe: Changing the feel of communication:
"What kinds of security controls does FuckU-FuckMe offer?

All FuckU-FuckMe users can control whom they connect to on an individual basis. There's no need to go to a public reflector. "

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Prakesh's Star Trek Site

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I believe it was out on a long, deep-space exploration mission.

As for the Constitutions, Picard's line in "Relics" was that he recognized the holodeck bridge because there's one (a Constitution) in a museum somewhere. The way he said it was very, very suggestive that that was the only one still around.

------------------
"I just measured him. He's about 21"."
-Chris Martin, 14-Jul-2000

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, the Olympia from "The Sound of Her Voice" was on a long term deep space exploratory mission. Assuming the Connie Class is still in service, the Olympia would not have been one of them. I've seen screen caps of that sequence and I can't really make heads nor tails out of it.

------------------
"A gathering of Angels appeared above my head. They sang to me this song of hope, and this is what they said..." -Styx

Aban's Illustration www.thespeakeasy.com/alanfore

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The existence of Constitution bits and pieces in the TNG era certainly wouldn't indicate the class itself is still in active service. We've already seen the Miranda and Constellation, both of which have components that very closely resemble or are identical to the Constitution refit. There could be a half-dozen other classes in service that similarly share parts with the Constitution refit and all we might have seen have been those.

------------------
"Truth about Santa Claus debunks Santa God. God evolves from Santa."
-Gene Ray, http://www.timecube.com

Michael Dracon
aka: NightWing or Altair
Member # 4

- posted      Profile for Michael Dracon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Remember that the bridge seen in Relics is the of old Constitution not the refit version.

Also, wasn't the Republic, mentioned in 'Valiant' supposed to be a Constitution Class?

------------------
"I think I speak for everyone here when I say, 'Huh?'."
- Buffy

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No, that's just an idea put forth by people who want the Constitutions to still be around.

As for the fact that the "Relics" bridge was TOS-style, Picard didn't make that specification. He simply referred to it as "Constitution-class" before saying that there was one in the museum.

------------------

Matrix
AMEAN McAvoy
Member # 376

- posted      Profile for Matrix     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think he meant the orginal design of the Constitution class. Why would you meantion something like that without meaning what he is actually looking at. It would be like saying that the 200 model of the Mustang were your favorite. Then say that there is a design of the 1967 Mustang is on display.

------------------
It is better to walk the path of the devil than to be in the path of the devil. Though it still might not be the right path.

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

I seem to recall that the dialogue went something like this:

Picard: "This is the bridge of a Constitution-class ship, isn't?"

Scotty: "You're familiar w/ them?"

Picard: "There's one in the fleet museum..."

Okay, so that's not exactly how it went. But I'm pretty sure that it sounded as though Picard didn't know much about any differences in design.

------------------

spyone
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
1) The episode author for "Valiant" is quoted in the encyclopedia as saying that the USS Republic training vessel mentioned therein was intended to be the same one Kirk served aboard, HOWEVER, I am none too sure this ship was a Constitution Class to begin with. Anyone out there got that ToS ep on tape?

2) The uss Stargazer was to be a Constitution Class ship until they got the budget to build a new model, so it was in their minds that there could have been Constitution Class ships in service until 2355 or so.

------------------
You're a Starfleet Officer. "Weird" is part of the job.

IP: Logged
Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Was in their minds. But I hardly think we can say that every idea floated for an episode is worthy of our consideration.

------------------
I am not good with English but excuses me. I hate you whom think bad of the gods of the thunder known under the name of ""Metallica"". Good tape of ""Metallica"" is ""Load"", that you like it or not. A much better tape of Metallica ""Load"" than overrated the tape known under the name of ""Iron Maiden"" ""Powerslave"". You all are penis for the bad one of thought about ""Lars"". ""Lars"" can take a cucumber in bottom of his throat without reflex of muzzle. Lars can too take cucumber in bottom with no stretching of bottom hole sphincter muscle. Thanks for reading.
--
an anonymous fan
Read chapter one of "Dirk Tungsten in...The Disappearing Planet"! Because I'm saving all my love for you.

spyone
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
okay, it was more than in their minds. In fact, the Stargazer was made a Constellation Class vessel because the word "Constellation" is easy to dub over "Constitution" (as your mouth makes the same shapes) and they had already shot scenes where Geordi, in particular, referred to it as Constitution Class.

------------------
You're a Starfleet Officer. "Weird" is part of the job.

IP: Logged
Alpha Centauri
Usually seen somewhere in the Southern skies
Member # 338

- posted      Profile for Alpha Centauri     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, I like the idea of the Constitution still being around (although some 130 years by now). I am also tempted to believe that there was a Connie at Wolf 359. Although not rated for Borg combat, it might have been thrown in as a flying bomb. But I don't believe that the Olympia might have been a Connie. Why send a Constitution on a long-term exploration mission.
But I like the idea of the Republic being a training vessel for Academy cadets very much. However a Connie's systems are too ancient for the cadets to make them really learn something about operating a starship, it could still be used for piloting excercises.
And if Mirandas and Oberths are still around, why not the Constitution?

------------------
Advertisement in the United Federation NewsPADD, SD 53675:

"Now for sale at your local dealer: Antares class vessels, as good as new! They can shapeshift! Everybody in the galaxy has one! Now for only $800!"

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Because they are still buidling new Mirandas and Oberths.

I suppose they could still be building new Connie's as well, but it doesn't seem all that likely. Otherwise, i think they would've shown us one by now.

------------------
"A gathering of Angels appeared above my head. They sang to me this song of hope, and this is what they said..." -Styx

Aban's Illustration www.thespeakeasy.com/alanfore

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The reason why we haven't seen any Constitutions on screen is because all those viewers who aren't followers of the whole scheme would think it's the Enterprise

------------------
"Huh. An intelligent guard. I never would have guessed."
-Preed, Titan A.E.

Matrix
AMEAN McAvoy
Member # 376

- posted      Profile for Matrix     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Mirandas and Oberths if we don't use the idea that the Miranda class was refitted like the Constitution class would be newer than the Constitution class. The Constitution would be 50 years old at the time the Enterprise-A was decommissioned. The Miranda class might be 30-40 years old at that time. Maybe the Miranda class was so successful in design that Starfleet decided to use it for future designs.

I love the Constitution class old and new design. However the Constitution at the time in 2390's was being replaced by the Excelsior as a exploratory cruiser.

------------------
It is better to walk the path of the devil than to be in the path of the devil. Though it still might not be the right path.

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps