Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Constitution Class caught alive? (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Constitution Class caught alive?
Michael Dracon
aka: NightWing or Altair
Member # 4

- posted      Profile for Michael Dracon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Fabrux is correct with the real world reason, unfortunately...

I mean, take the first time when you saw DS9's Tribble episode. What did you think when you saw the Constitution outline (before the registry was readable)? Was it 'That's a Constitution Class' or 'That's the Enterprise'?

------------------
"I think I speak for everyone here when I say, 'Huh?'."
- Buffy

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, in that case, everyone knew it was the Enterprise. How about the first time we saw a non-E-D Galaxy in DS9 (I believe that would be the Odyssey)? You didn't think that was the E-D, did you?

------------------
"I just measured him. He's about 21"."
-Chris Martin, 14-Jul-2000

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, well..they talked a couple times about when the Odyssey was due to arrive, so the inference was there.

------------------
"Do you know how much YOU'RE worth??.....2.5 million Woolongs. THAT'S your bounty. I SAID you were small fry..." --Spike Spiegel

Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

- posted      Profile for Dukhat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The idea of a Constitution at Wolf 359 being a flying bomb has its ups and downs: On one hand, it would make the hypothesis that the Excelsior class Melbourne was also a flying bomb more feasible. However, since Picard stated that the Constitution class was museum material, I seriously doubt someone would want to use one in this way, Borg or no Borg. Just because Okuda used the Star Trek 3 Enterprise model for the graveyard scene doesn't necessarily preclude that a Connie was at Wolf 359. We only see a portion of the engineering hull in one shot, and an extremely damaged saucer in another. These could be parts of a totally different type of ship, if you wanted to use your imagination.

As far as the class identity of the Olympia goes, maybe something will be written about it in the upcoming DS9 Companion. I can see the front of a Constitution type nacelle sticking out of the ground, but a Constellation class has similar nacelles, and would have been a more logical choice of ship for a deep space mission.

------------------
Captain Tenille: "Oh, Simpson, you're like the son I never had."
Homer: "And you're like the father I never visit."

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You know, I did do a big list of the reasons I think the Constitution is no longer around. Not that anyone read it.

------------------
I am not good with English but excuses me. I hate you whom think bad of the gods of the thunder known under the name of ""Metallica"". Good tape of ""Metallica"" is ""Load"", that you like it or not. A much better tape of Metallica ""Load"" than overrated the tape known under the name of ""Iron Maiden"" ""Powerslave"". You all are penis for the bad one of thought about ""Lars"". ""Lars"" can take a cucumber in bottom of his throat without reflex of muzzle. Lars can too take cucumber in bottom with no stretching of bottom hole sphincter muscle. Thanks for reading.
--
an anonymous fan
Read chapter one of "Dirk Tungsten in...The Disappearing Planet"! Because I'm saving all my love for you.

Cammodude
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
About the Constitution class part seen floating around in BoBw, they might of been ships like the federation destroyer or the federation dreadnought from Starfleet Command. It's just a thought.

------------------
"If I knew you were comeing I would have baked a cake...learned to sing....stop me Gage!"
--Aurther
The Journeyman Project 3

IP: Logged
Dat
Huh?
Member # 302

- posted      Profile for Dat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybe, but the Saladin/Hermes classes don't have secondary hulls like the Connie. And the Federation class isn't completely canonical. The name Entente may have been heard in ST:TMP, but the ship was never seen nor any other design like the Federation class. The Entente could have belong to some other class for all we know.

------------------
Teddy Roosevelt: "Speak softly and carry a big stick."
Yosemite Sam: "Well, I speak loudly and I carry a bigger stick...and I use it too!"

Cammodude
Ex-Member

Well then how about the federation battleship from Starfleet command. It had a saucer section like the connies saucer and it had two stardrive sections.

------------------
"If I knew you were coming I would have baked a cake...learned to sing....stop me Gage!"
--Aurther
The Journeyman Project 3

Dat
Huh?
Member # 302

- posted      Profile for Dat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've never heard of or seen any ship like, canon or non-canon, so most likely this ship would not be at Wolf 359 either.

------------------
Yosemite Sam: "Well, I speak loudly and I carry a bigger stick...and I use it too!"

Cammodude
Ex-Member

You will see the federation starships a discribed on a computer game CALLED Star Trek: STARFLEET COMMAND. It was realesed last year. The distroyers and the dreadnoughts from this game are NOT the same ones from the Starfleet Acadamy handbook, or whatever that was called. You will also find the federation battleship I discribed in the game as well. All the ships in Starfleet Command WERE designed BY Paramount. I suggest you try out Star Trek: Starfleet Command. It's a very cool game!

------------------
"If I knew you were coming I would have baked a cake...learned to sing....stop me Gage!"
--Aurther
The Journeyman Project 3

Dat
Huh?
Member # 302

Most likely, there were not designed by Paramount. Paramount may have approved the game, but that still doesn't make it canon. Usually what's considered canon is what's been aired on television and in the movies. Reference books by the producers and background info provided by them is supplemental and is semi-canon. The animated series is considered by many to be apocryphal and non-canon. All other books, especially the novels, are non-canon. All computer games are non-canon. Reference software is semi-canon along with the reference books. The possible ships you have described are not going to be considered to be part of the official Trek and not at Wolf 359.

------------------

Alpha Centauri
Usually seen somewhere in the Southern skies
Member # 338

- posted      Profile for Alpha Centauri     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
First of all, I want to say that everyone must decide for themselves what's canon or not. You simply cannot dictate to others what is part of the Trek-universe or not. Everyone has his/her own view of it. Star Trek is just TV, so that must be possible (unlike real-life history, which cannot be denied, and everyone must follow the same set of rules). According to my definition of canon, TAS is canon (although apocryphal at some points, I concur), the TNG and DS9 manuals are canon, Jeri Taylor's Voyager novels, etc. As long as it's authored by someone who plays a significant role in the production of Trek. (no commentaries please, it's just a statement)

Back to the Paramount-approval/canon discussion...
If we would consider everything Paramount approved as canon, that would also include Franz Joseph's Star Fleet Technical Manual, virtually all games, FASA, etc. But that's where I draw the line.

------------------
Advertisement in the United Federation NewsPADD, SD 53675:

"Now for sale at your local dealer: Antares class vessels, as good as new! They can shapeshift! Everybody in the galaxy has one! Now for only $800!"

[This message has been edited by Alpha Centauri (edited July 20, 2000).]

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
FASA... *shudder*

------------------
"Huh. An intelligent guard. I never would have guessed."
-Preed, Titan A.E.

Cammodude
Ex-Member

PopMaze, The ships in Star Trek: Starfleet Command WERE designed by Paramount artists. I read so myself in Star Trek Magazine. Unfoutuneatly I can't remember witch issue.

------------------
--Aurther
The Journeyman Project 3

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*hauls out issue 5 of The Mag*

It doesn't say anything about the ships being designed by Paramount in this article. It says the game is based heavily on Starfleet Battles. So, unless Starfleet Battles's ships were designed by Paramount...

------------------
"Huh. An intelligent guard. I never would have guessed."
-Preed, Titan A.E.

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps