Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Starship classification (Page 3)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Starship classification
TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, okay. If you want to say a ship is acting like a battlecruiser, or some such, feel free to. But don't claim that Starfleet would actually give it any such official designation within the confines of wartime, because all evidence suggests otherwise.

------------------
"I just measured him. He's about 21"."
-Chris Martin, 14-Jul-2000

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Despite all the ships called frigates and cruisers?

------------------
Frank's Home Page
"Frank is absolutely right." - Laz Rojas

Matrix
AMEAN McAvoy
Member # 376

- posted      Profile for Matrix     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I find that it easier to indentify ships with the correct classficiations. Starfleet might call their batttlecruisers and battleships cruisers or whatever. It is a different classification scheme than what we call our ships in the Navy. Denying the fact is dones't exist is saying that the sun does not exist. We as humans designate things to make it easier to identify.

------------------
It is better to walk the path of the devil than to be in the path of the devil. Though it still might not be the right path.

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Frank: Those ships were called that during peacetime. Those are their designations. Their only ones.

------------------

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Even though they're naval combat designations, and describe nothing about a ship's peacetime function?

------------------
Frank's Home Page

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

How many navies do you know of on Earth now who call their ships something different during peacetime?

------------------

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

None, because modern naval ships are built mostly for battle.

------------------
Frank's Home Page

Matrix
AMEAN McAvoy
Member # 376

- posted      Profile for Matrix     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Also I can't think of a Navy in the world that uses their ships to explore.

------------------
It is better to walk the path of the devil than to be in the path of the devil. Though it still might not be the right path.

bear
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for bear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am not getting sucked into this...(shakes his head)

------------------
http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Stargate/9268/index.html

Alpha Centauri
Usually seen somewhere in the Southern skies
Member # 338

- posted      Profile for Alpha Centauri     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Unbelievable! How many starship-classification discussions were there in the entire history of Flare? It's amazing how long these threads become everytime!

------------------
Advertisement in the United Federation NewsPADD, SD 53675:

"Now for sale at your local dealer: Antares class vessels, as good as new! They can shapeshift! Everybody in the galaxy has one! Now for only $800!"

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

Everything around here has been explored already. Back in the fifteenth, sixteenth, seventeenth centuries, do you think they changed the designation of an explorer's ship if a war started?

------------------

USS Vanguard
i hate clowns
Member # 130

- posted      Profile for USS Vanguard     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[yawn]
I'm taking a nap, now, wake me when you guys are done.

------------------
"Homer, you're dumb as a mule and twice as ugly,
if a strange man offers you a ride, I say take it"-Abe S.

colin
Member # 217

- posted      Profile for colin         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The US Navy has ships that are used for exploration.

------------------

takeoffs are optional; landings are mandatory

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

For battle-scouting, maybe...

------------------
Frank's Home Page
"However, trying to convince your friends to learn a language is about as easy to do as getting a date with the pickup line 'Have you been to Weight Watchers?'" - How To Invent A Real Language

[This message has been edited by The Shadow (edited July 24, 2000).]

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually, that isn't true, Frank. Historically, navies have often been handed missions of a purely exploratory nature. Charles Darwin was aboard the HMS Beagle, after all, not the SS Beagle. I'd say it's partially because we've explored most of the ocean that we lock our modern navy into a combat role. And even today, a great deal of oceanographic research is conducted by naval vessels, both as a spinoff from military applications (mapping the ocean floor to provide for better submarine navigation) and as the result of specific scientific investigations.

------------------
"If Picard was set loose on a Monopoly board, he'd try and establish peaceable diplomatic relations with Marvin Gardens and give St. James Place wide berth so that its culture could develop without interference."
--
L. Fitzgerald Sjoberg
Read chapter one of "Dirk Tungsten in...The Disappearing Planet"! Because I'm the passenger, and I ride and I ride.

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps