Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Sovereign-Class question (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Sovereign-Class question
Spike
Pathetic Vampire
Member # 322

- posted      Profile for Spike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Can anyone tell me, what this "thing" above the shuttlebay is? www.geocities.com/fitz8472/shuttlebay.jpg

------------------
"No matter where you go, there you are."

[This message has been edited by Fitz (edited July 23, 2000).]

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Brand-new concept in architectural design. They're caleld "windows." Usually made out of some transparent material, usually glass, in this case transparent aluminum. Windows allow the person inside a structure to see outside it without fear of attack by the elements or other things in nature.

By the way, did you hear about this new thing that a guy in Germany created? He calls it a "printing press." He says that he can make tomes infinitely faster than ever seen before because he doesn't use copyists. Amazing! WHAT will they think of next?

------------------
"Do you know how much YOU'RE worth??.....2.5 million Woolongs. THAT'S your bounty. I SAID you were small fry..." --Spike Spiegel

Cammodude
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Now now Shik, be nice. I believe that is an observation area.

------------------
"If I knew you were coming I would have baked a cake...learned to sing....stop me Gage!"
--Aurther
The Journeyman Project 3

IP: Logged
Trip Tucker
Member # 297

- posted      Profile for Trip Tucker     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm assuming it's a Shuttlebay observation lounge. Just sit back with a Raktajino and watch the shuttles come and go Voyager has one, only it's underneath their Shuttlebay, on Deck 11.

------------------
"Impossible is a word humans use far too often."
-Seven of Nine

Alpha Centauri
Usually seen somewhere in the Southern skies
Member # 338

- posted      Profile for Alpha Centauri     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Considering the amount of shuttles aboard Voyager, you could sit there all day, if you spend your time there counting passing-by shuttles.

------------------
Advertisement in the United Federation NewsPADD, SD 53675:

"Now for sale at your local dealer: Antares class vessels, as good as new! They can shapeshift! Everybody in the galaxy has one! Now for only $800!"

Mikey T
Driven
Member # 144

- posted      Profile for Mikey T     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ahh...it's Main Shuttlebay's Control Room... I think. It's used to view incoming and outgoing shuttles and aux. vehicles. From what I've heard, it has windows that show inside the shuttlebay so anyone can sit down, move his/her chair from the windows that show outside to the windows that show inside.

Isn't Voyager's Control Room within THE ONLY SHUTTLEBAY the ship has?

------------------
The world is not enough, but it is such a perfect place to start my love
And if you're strong enough, together we can take the world apart my love

Michael Dracon
aka: NightWing or Altair
Member # 4

- posted      Profile for Michael Dracon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In Insurrection the SFX creators thought it was the torpedo launcher...

------------------
"I think I speak for everyone here when I say, 'Huh?'."
- Buffy

Spike
Pathetic Vampire
Member # 322

- posted      Profile for Spike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
In Insurrection the SFX creators thought it was the torpedo launcher...

That's why I'm asking. Some people told me, that it fired photon torpedos in Insurrection but I didn't believe it.

------------------
"No matter where you go, there you are."

Bernd
Guy from Old Europe
Member # 6

- posted      Profile for Bernd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Shik: You should become a writer for the Fact Files. You know, I'm from Germany, and I could learn quite a bit from your extensive explanation.
The information the Fact Files give on the topic are rather meager: "A large window provided a means of visually checking the outside environment." Or was is the ST Magazine?

------------------
"Species 5618, human. Warp-capable, origin grid 325, physiology inefficient, below average cranium capacity, minimum redundant systems, limited regenerative abilities."
Ex Astris Scientia

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's a matter of personal interpretation whether the torpedoes in "Insurrection" are coming from somewhere near these windows (or perhaps from within the shuttlebay?) or from the regular launchers below the ship's fantail. The torps move really fast, clearing the ship's vicinity in something like two frames of film, and there is no frame that would show the torps *above* the stern part of the ship's secondary hull, so they could just as easily be coming from below the stern.

I'm not sure the big "Eleven-Backward" windows on the Voyager are supposed to be a shuttle monitoring room. They could be just an aft lounge, perhaps with a nice pool and a couple of solariums inside. There's undoubtedly some sort of a control booth inside the shuttlebay itself, and also a window or two (plus an airlock door) in the back wall where the shuttlebay door is located.

The E-D apparently never had a shuttlecraft approach control cabin with windows opening to the exterior, nor did the E-B, even though the refitted original ship did have a control alcove similar to the one on the E-E. The model of the E-C isn't detailed enough to tell if there are windows near the secondary hull shuttlebay doors, or next to the primary hull bay.

Timo Saloniemi

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Heeheehee...OK, I WAS a leetle harsh...but the opportunity presented itself & I just could NOT let it get away. It's just that--between here & RAST--I'm getting really sick of that question. Extraneous questions that are easily answered by a few visits to some really rippin' wwwebsites smacks of laziness to me.

And Bernd? I could never work for Fact Files--I know my kelilacteral from my firomactal drive too well.

------------------
"Do you know how much YOU'RE worth??.....2.5 million Woolongs. THAT'S your bounty. I SAID you were small fry..." --Spike Spiegel

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Michael: I believe they had to add a second shuttlebay because some episode made a reference to "shuttlebay 2", even though there was no such thing. But I could be wrong...

------------------
Pickhard: "What is our progress, Beta?"
Beta: "Excellent, captain. I require only one more Thunderstone to evolve my Pikachu to level 47."
-from the Sev Trek movie trailer

Mikey T
Driven
Member # 144

- posted      Profile for Mikey T     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
TSN, I was kidding about that. I knew that the Shuttlebay 2 thing that no one realized until shooting finished. Although, I wonder why Kate Mulgrew wasn't asked to record over that in post production.

------------------
The world is not enough, but it is such a perfect place to start my love
And if you're strong enough, together we can take the world apart my love

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The multiple shuttlebay thing has been going for a while now. Kim said they were being "boarded through the shuttlebays" in Basics Part I, and I know Shuttlebay Two was mentioned in the first Delta Flyer episode.

Anyway, Sternbach has said that Shuttlebay Two is a sort of side pad accessed through the same door, which I believe was reflected by the SciPubTech poster.

------------------
"Truth about Santa Claus debunks Santa God. God evolves from Santa."
-Gene Ray, http://www.timecube.com

[This message has been edited by The_Tom (edited July 24, 2000).]

Matrix
AMEAN McAvoy
Member # 376

- posted      Profile for Matrix     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Why would you call the a shuttle bay door 'Shuttle Bay 2'? It's a door to the same shuttlebay. I think that if there is a second shuttlebay on Voyager then it would be seperate from the main one. Perhapsn underneath? I will have to take a look at the schematics of her though.

------------------
Perdict the unperdictable, but how do you unperdict the unperdictable?

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps