Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Niagara vote (Page 3)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Niagara vote
Lindsly
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The map shows the path of the Enterprise through the battlefield.
The ST:TNG Companion states that there were eight models in the battlefield-USS Ahwahnee (Cheyenne), USS Buran (Challenger), USS Chekov (Springfield), USS Firebrand (Freedom Class), USS Kyushu (New Orleans), USS Melbourne (Nebula), USS Princeton (Niagara), and USS Tolstoy (Rigel).
This ship appears to be upside down. Two nacelles are present. One is on the port side. The other is about center of the ship. Nacelles are identified by the starfleet logo and appear to be Galaxy Class. The saucer could be a Galaxy or Ambassaodor Class.
Is this a Challenger? No. Wrong nacelles.
Is this a Sprinfield? Possibly
Is this a Freedom? No. Wrong amount of nacelles.
Is this a Nebula? No. Placement of nacelles is wrong.
Is this a New Orleans? No. There is no nacelle in the center of the hull.
Is this a Niagara? Very likely. Niagara is said to have three nacelles.
Is this a Rigel? No. Rigel has two nacelles on upper hull and one beneath.
I have a possible design for the Niagara. Imagine an Ambassador Class starship with three Galaxy Class nacelles on the upper hull supported by Galaxy Class nacelles. Sort of like the future Galaxy Class Enterprise only this time with an Ambassador Class superstructure. What do you think?

IP: Logged
TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Erm... Where are you guys coming up w/ two nacelles visible? I only see the one...

------------------
"I fart in your general direction!"
-John Cleese, Monty Python and the Holy Grail

Lindsly
Ex-Member

When I wrote the earlier entry, I was tired and made mistakes.
Yes, I know Sprinfield should be Springfield
Let's try that description of the Niagara again, shall we? The USS Niagara and her sister ships are based on an Ambassador Class design. She has three nacelles. The port and starboard galaxy class pylons and nacelles are attached at the same location on the hull as the former Ambassador Class pylons and nacelles. This is to provide space for the third nacelle. A third Galaxy Class nacelle is connected to the hull by a special pylon. Attachment is a little forward of the attachments for the port and starboard nacelle on the center axis of the upper secondary hull. This would rendered the diagram from FF as erroneous. This may make the Niagara Class not only more attractive, but even more logical. Would someone care to draw this revised class of ship?

Lindsly
Ex-Member

TSN: The nacelles of the USS Enterprise D carry the starfleet logo of the stylized triangle on the top surface of the nacelles. This logo can be seen on the second nacelle near where the viewscreen curves.
CaptSershek
Ex-Member

I tend to agree with the evidence so far that that is the Niagara class Princeton, like I mentioned in the Challenger discussion, it's not pretty but it's the best thing that's close to what's on the screen.

------------------
Remember when we used to be explorers? - Capt. Jean-Luc Picard - Star Trek Insurrection

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Okay, I think I see what you're talking about, but, in that vidcap anyway, it just looks like a discolored spot. And, if it is a SF logo, it isn't necessarily on a nacelle.

However, despite that, it does look it could be a nacelle. But why does there have to be a third one? There are still only two visible...

------------------
"I fart in your general direction!"
-John Cleese, Monty Python and the Holy Grail

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lindsly: Is this what you're thinking of?

------------------
"They must thinks there's still Romulans on board!"
"They're right!!"

[This message was edited by Fabrux on March 27, 1999.]

Lindsly
Ex-Member

Fabrux: The image is not appearing. Can you fix the problem? When the problem is fixed, I will then be able to say.
Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lindsly: It comes up on my computer. Can everyone else see the pic?
The Vorlon
Member # 52

- posted      Profile for The Vorlon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The problem is that the image is a BMP. Save it as something else (GIF, JPEG or PNG), change the link and it'll work fine.

------------------
Lyta Vorlon: "Our great mistake. Our failing. And now your failing. The error is compounded."
Delenn: "What mistake?"
Lyta Vorlon: "The first one, the one from which all mistakes proceed: The error of Pride..."

-- Kalesh Naranek, Last of the Vorlon
www.orc.ca/~jheinbuc/

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

If I'm not mistaken, the image should be there now. The red runs a little bit but the program I use does that when converting a BMP to a JPG. Still, it looks the same.

------------------
"They must thinks there's still Romulans on board!"
"They're right!!"

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Don't use PNG. PNGs are for weirdos and people with fleet charts.

------------------
http://frankg.dgne.com/
Vortex: "It just don't pack the punch it used to..."
Swindle: "Yeah, because we're out of energy, dummy."

The Vorlon
Member # 52

- posted      Profile for The Vorlon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So are Macs (minus the ppl with Fleet Charts).

(Frank is just jealous because he has a hard time opening PNGs. Must be that Mac, I'm tellin' ya...)

------------------
Lyta Vorlon: "Our great mistake. Our failing. And now your failing. The error is compounded."
Delenn: "What mistake?"
Lyta Vorlon: "The first one, the one from which all mistakes proceed: The error of Pride..."

-- Kalesh Naranek, Last of the Vorlon
www.orc.ca/~jheinbuc/

CaptSershek
Ex-Member

My Mac opened the PNG file without problem. I was able to convert it to a jpeg for my own use. For the record, I used a shareware program called Graphic Converter. Still looking forward to more ships, the list grows.

------------------
Remember when we used to be explorers? - Capt. Jean-Luc Picard - Star Trek Insurrection

Lindsly
Ex-Member

Fabrux: The image matches with my description. Thank you for creating the image. Now, that we have an image, what is the general consensus among our fellow members as this being the genuine image of the Niagara Class? BTW, this design looks functional and as a step toward the Galaxy Class starship.
  This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps