Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » Designs, Artwork, & Creativity » ST VII Generations (concept)Uniforms (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: ST VII Generations (concept)Uniforms
Lobo
Member # 669

- posted      Profile for Lobo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybe you remeber on the concept uniforms for the first TNG Movie. The uniforms were not used for the movie but they made action figures who wore these unifroms.
An pic.:
 -
(they are looking a bit like the gala unifroms)

I've made "Fact Files" like graphics of these unifroms:
 -

What do you think?

Lobo

[ November 08, 2002, 08:55: Message edited by: Lobo ]

--------------------
"I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die..."

EdipisReks
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
wow, great work! i really like that uniform design. it hearkens back to the TOS movie uniforms.
IP: Logged
Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Great work, Lobo. I hate that design though. I always thought it looked thrown together.

"Ok... let's put the rank insignia in a different place... and let's change this and change that... voila! New uniform."

Dunno... I thought the DS9 style unis and then the FC unis were definitely better and I'm glad these never made it to the screen. I like your drawings, though.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

EdipisReks
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Aban Rune:
I hate that design though. I always thought it looked thrown together.

you're just jealous that you aren't as tall as that Worf action figure. [Wink] i personally always thought that the DS9 and FC uniforms were too informal. i always liked the classic red military movie uniforms the best. they looked professional, and you could lower the flap for that after hours lounge look so popular with womenizing captains.
IP: Logged
Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

- posted      Profile for Siegfried     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Great rendition, Lobo. Superb work as always.

As far as the uniform design goes, I think it's all right. Would have looked good if they had decided to change uniforms in the later seasons of TNG. On the other hand, the uniform isn't impressive enough to be on the big screen.

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think I'd like the design better if the collar was black. It just looks like they wanted ot make parts of it different but didn't know how. Like the stripes on the sleeves... they just don't go with this style of uni. They worked fine on the TOS and TWoK uniforms... but not here.

I liked the Movie era military uniforms too. Very professional, very cool.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration

Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

- posted      Profile for Siegfried     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Okay, I missed the stripes on the sleeve. Yeah, you're right, that doesn't really go with a TNG style uniform. The colored collars don't bother me, though, since we've seen before in the movie uniforms (however, the colors should be more muted like they are in the movie uniforms).

I'll also throw in that I like the movie uniforms from movies two through six. They looked profession while looking comfortable and simple. I like the First Contact uniforms, too, but they just don't look comfortable what with the tank top, the undershirt, the vest, and the overcoat. Too many layers.

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

All I know about these concept uniforms is that I could take that basic concept and make it look alot sleeker. And I'm sure several other people here could too. I can't ever belive it that those uniforms were approved for use. I'm just glad they were scrapped.

I always thought it was a little rediculous that in "Macrocosm" we saw that Janeway had on a) the outer jacket B) the turtleneck C) the tanktop and D) presumably, a bra of some kind. Why would she need the tank top? Same with the male uniforms. Apparently they routinely wear a t-shirt under their turtlenecks. I don't get that.

And yes... the vest underneath the outer jacket of the FC unis is a bit much.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration

Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

And considering how thick and heavy the material looks on the jackets and vests, I hope the actors have a good supply of deodorant.
Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ahh, but remember we never had Smell-O-Vision kick in. [Smile] It's doubly wierd as they shoot in LA, which can be really hot int he summer, and they can't have air-conditioning during the shoot!

Remember O'Brien stripping down in "Paradise"? That was three layers too. It seems that as time goes on, Starfleeters seem to be wearing more clotthing. I'm sure the crew of Enterprise wear only the outer jumpsuit and the button shirt they have under that, plus underwear. The all-time low is of course the TOS uniforms, which routinely show that the male tunics have nothing undeneath.

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

Sarvek
Member # 910

- posted      Profile for Sarvek     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nice work Lobo. What do plan on doing next?
Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

Why can't they have the AC on during the shoot?

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lobo, what program do you use to make these? If it's just a bog standard art prog then how do you do it? I've been trying to figure out a good method of drawing uniforms for a while now with little success.

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

Lobo
Member # 669

- posted      Profile for Lobo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I use Corel Draw 10.

--------------------
"I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die..."

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't have a problem with rank bands on the cuffs per se, and think they might work with the right uniform; I'd agree, however, that this one itsn't it. The coloured collar seems OK though.

The amount of layers Starfleet officers have on has always seemed a bit ridiculous to me. Although I suspect not all of them have the waistcoat - who else have we seen with it beyond Picard and Sisko? Maybe they like their starship environmentals set a bit on the cool sidfe - but then again, given the choices of night attire and bedlinen (thin sheets for the most part), maybe not. . .

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps