Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » Designs, Artwork, & Creativity » Copious Free Time (Page 1)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Copious Free Time
Ahkileez
Member # 734

- posted      Profile for Ahkileez     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had some free procrastinating time on my hands today so I played in Photoshop. [Smile]

http://9thfleet.fleets.acalltoduty.com/custom-uni.htm

Sarvek
Member # 910

- posted      Profile for Sarvek     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Totally Awesome work!! I never knew that there were so many uniform types in Starfleet. Are you going to be designing any more?
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So in the Medical Coat /Female Variant Duty Uniform, pants are'nt part of the dresscode?
I gonna like the future.
A LOT. [Big Grin]

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Very nice! I like the Officer's Weather Cloak! Star Trek meets The Matrix! [Smile]

I saw your e-mail addy - where is .ky?

And what are the little winglets coming off the back of the marine corp dress uniform?

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Phoenix
Member # 966

- posted      Profile for Phoenix     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow!

I like them a lot! [Smile]

What is PRISM by the way?

Oh, one suggestion: perhaps Arctic duty uniform for the Marines?

And .ky is the Cayman Islands.

Griffworks
Member # 1014

- posted      Profile for Griffworks     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nicely done. Now, should you happen to have more copious amounts of time on your hands, please do that for 23rd Century TOS Movie Era Uniforms (ST:II thru the first 20 minutes of ST:GEN). That I'd love to see!

I'd try my hand at it, but I suck at fashion. After all, my summer wardrobe consists almost exclusively of Hawaiian print shirts.... [Roll Eyes]

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cool designs! I especially like the Marine variants, though the shoulder pads kinda clash too much with the camouflage pattern, IMO...

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Ahkileez
Member # 734

- posted      Profile for Ahkileez     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sarvek: I hadn't planned to, but I think I might. Just for the fun of it. There's so many things we don't get to see in Trek. Even though what I'd do wouldn't be remotely canon, I think it's nice just to have an idea to play with.

Abbadon: That's just a variant [Smile] The women would wear it by choice, not regulation. If they want to show their legs off, that's their business [Smile]

AndrewR: That cloak is a modification of Picard's from "All Good Things..." I think. I haven't seen taht episode in like six or seven years so I'm not certain. I just cleaned it up and added the grey material and changed the red stripes to match the modern era uniforms.

The 'widgets' on the uniform is actually an artifact of erasing [Smile] I need to clean that up.

Oh, and yeah Phoenix is right, .ky means Cayman Islands.

Phoenix: PRISM is like a special forces group within the RPG that I play with (www.acalltoduty.com). They're part special forces/part intel. Hence the black.

I really like the artic uniform suggstion tho. I'm definitely going to run with that [Smile]

Griffworks: I dunno about doing the TOS movie era uniforms. From a design standpoint they're very simplistic. I like them and all, but there's not a whole lot you can do with them. The character I play is old enough to have worn the Enterprise-C version (no turtleneck) and I once made a green version of the uniform because he was in the SF Marines first. But I dunno if I'd try all these things with that uniform type. Who knows tho [Smile]

MinutiaMan: The camouflage pattern does clash. I think I'm going to change the color of the shoulder pads. At least in the jungle version (to green). But the grey matches the urban ones so I'm going to leave that.

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Very interesting work, I'd really like to know how this is done.

For the camouflaged uniforms I suggest you try using the canon combat fatigues as a basis instead of the standard DS9 duty uniform.
I think it was seen in twice in DS9, in "Nor the Battle.." and "Siege of AR558".
Oh and an arctic variant would be very cool indeed [Wink]

It might also be interesting to see a TNG/DS9 era version of the old white engineering suit seen in TWOK and TUC.

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

Ahkileez
Member # 734

The ones with the stripe across the chest? Nah, those are boring [Smile] I mean all it would look like is normal togs with a stripe across the chest [Smile]
Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

- posted      Profile for Siegfried     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nice work, Ahkileez. I really like a lot of what you did to standard Starfleet officer duty and dress uniforms. I may have to start playing around in Photoshop now.

I really like the marine uniforms. To an extent, I agree with MinutiaeMan on the camouflage uniforms. I think the jungle duty uniform would like better with the shoulders a hunter or forest green. I agree with you that the gray looks good with the urban uniform. And, yeah, Phoenix is right that an arctic uniform would look pretty cool. I like your ideas for the dress uniforms; I think it ties in better with Starfleet than using current US Marine uniforms with an insignia added on.

I'm with AndrewR on the officer's weather cloak. There's definately a Matrix feel to it. And, I know where you coming from on the design. You're talking about the red jacket that Captain Picard started wearing over his gray casual uniform in (I think) the fifth season, right? Very nice, it's a trench coat version of it.

I also really like the starfighter uniforms. For the duty uniform, did you base part of it off of the white racing uniform from the Voyager episode where Kim, Torres, and Paris enter that race? I liked that uniform, but I think it looks better with your darker palette.

My favorite, though, are the VIP honor guard uniforms. I especially like the commander's; it reminds me a bit of the TOS movie uniforms from TWoK on. On the security uniform, I think a more pure gray would look better on the center section of the tunic than the standard bluish gray, but I still think it looks pretty good.

A couple questions for you, though, since I'm having trouble discerning a couple colors. On the intelligence duty uniform, did you make the undershirt purple (like the dress uniform) or leave with command red? Also, did you change the base color of the Marine duty uniform from charcoal to very dark green?

--------------------
The philosopher's stone. Those who possess it are no longer bound by the laws of equivalent exchange in alchemy. They gain without sacrifice and create without equal exchange. We searched for it, and we found it.

Ahkileez
Member # 734

Siegfried: Thanks for the props man. And about the Marine uniforms, I have spruced them up a little bit, including the jungle togs there. Gave it more appropriate shoulder pads just like I said [Smile]

The cloak, as far as I know, comes from All Good Things. I haven't seen the ep in forever, but that's the only place I remember seeing it. I just modified the version Spike made.
Original

That is indeed the racing uniform from Voyager, yep. I never saw that episode, but I saw screencaps and thought the uniform was awesome. But I didn't want the starfighter uniform to look like a duplicate with blue stripes, so I gave it the dark shoulders. And I've just updated it with the helmet as well [Smile]

The VIP uniforms are my favorite too. I'm not surprised no one has seen the inspiration on the uniforms yet. The inspiration comes from the "Crimson Guard" from GI Joe. Those were my favorite of the figures as a kid. I think these guys are a good homage to that [Smile] As for the blue-gray insert... well it is a military we're dealing with, and militaries tend to be as standard as is possible, so those that use the gray inserts would probably use all the same kind rather than a dozen variations of it.

On the intel thing, yeah I changed it. It's not quite the same color purple as the jacket. My fault really. I might fix that. As for the Marines thing: Yes. I changed the base uniform from dark gray (or black in the movies really) to a very dark green. It's subtle, but I think it adds to it.

I was messing around some and added some other things for fun [Smile]

Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

- posted      Profile for Siegfried     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Try this link to Spike's page on the 2395 to 2405 uniforms instead. His site doesn't seem to like direct linking to images.

Now that I see the cloak in question, I can say that I don't remember that being in "All Good Things..." at all. The future crew was never on the on any planet (when they would probably need the cloak). However, I think that might actually come from a scene in Voyager's "Endgame." I think Janeway wore it when visiting Chakotay in the future scenes.

As for not catching the Crimson guard homage... well, I never watched G.I. Joe. I know, that makes me an un-American unpatriotic fool. However, I do understand and agree with your point that there probably wouldn't be different shades of gray on all the dress uniforms.

--------------------
The philosopher's stone. Those who possess it are no longer bound by the laws of equivalent exchange in alchemy. They gain without sacrifice and create without equal exchange. We searched for it, and we found it.

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think you'll find that the trench coat was worn by Janeway in "Endgame", in the scene where she visits Chakotay's grave.

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

Ahkileez
Member # 734

Bunch of new updates added, including the ones suggested here [Smile]
  This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps