Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » Designs, Artwork, & Creativity » U.S.S. Raan Almost Ready For Trial Runs (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: U.S.S. Raan Almost Ready For Trial Runs
Matrix
AMEAN McAvoy
Member # 376

- posted      Profile for Matrix     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Barnes and Noble carries it in most of their stores.

I actually like the Belknap class, not the Raan type, but the USS Belknap with the Connie refit type of Nacelles (I think they are called LN-64).

I tried to make a Belknap years ago, just never could figure out who to make the secondary hull. I though of heating it then squishing it among other ideas.

--------------------
Matrix
If you say so
If you want so
Then do so

Griffworks
Member # 1014

- posted      Profile for Griffworks     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Again, appreciate all the kind words, fellas!

quote:
Originally posted by Triton:
By the way, who or what is a Raan? Is it the last name of a hero of the Federation?

I have no clue. Ships of the StarFleet, Volume One doesn't list where the names come from. Might be a star? Possibly a hero of the Federation, as you observe? I dunno....
quote:
Originally posted by Topher:
I want to buy this model from you, or contract you to make another... But alas, my girlfriend would probably smack me for wasting money... [Wink]

Heh... I don't do that anymore, anyhow. The three times I did it, I undercharged, so came out working for less than minimum wage, after taking out for the kit and supplies. Plus, I hate having to be stuck with a deadline. Now, only if the fundage is what I consider worth my time away from building my own models - which is preciously rare! - and spending time with my family will I do it. So far, nobody's actually agreed to my price, so I must be doing something right.... [Wink]
quote:
Originally posted by Jason Abbadon:
Ahhh..... the Belknap:
I hate this design.
Hate it.

Don't give in to your hate. It will be your undoing....
quote:
....now if you'd just finish the ten other ships that are half done and langusing on your workbench of horrors....(sigh) [Razz]
I like to think it's a matter of Quality over Quantity. I could have fairly easily put out ten 1/537 scale ships in the last 5 months. However, they'd likely look like crap and I'd likely be unhappy with them in the long run, knowing I could have done better. That's why I'm revamping several of my older ships, giving them new paint jobs and decals.

There's also the fact that I have very little shelf space at the present to consider. If I had some more storage space, I could pretty easily put up another wall shelf, as well as another book shelf and I'd be set. However, I don't. So, I'm taking my time w/new builds and revisiting some older models.
quote:
Originally posted by Woodside Kid:
I don't mean to be the fly in the ointment, Jeff (especially since doing something like that model is beyond my skills), but the dorsal looks a little bit...off, somehow. Maybe it's the angle of the photos, but the shape of the aft part of the dorsal doesn't look quite right to me. At least, it doesn't seem to match the shape of the blueprints I've seen. (Specifically, I'm talking about the Inboard Cutaway foldout at the back of SOTSF.) Again, it may just be the way the model was photographed.

Still, it's a damn impressive piece of work. As I said, something like that is beyond my skills at model building; I've had a Stargazer vacuform sitting in my closet for years because I've been too chicken to tackle it. [Big Grin]

Thanks. Those SFSM vac-kits are actually pretty easy, not nearly as daunting as you're making them out! I've built one of the Constellation class and have another under construction as well and one of their "Survey" ships (Oberth). You've just got to reinforce the interior. Shoot me an email and ask specific questions, if you want: Griffyards at aol dot com.
quote:
Originally posted by Kazeite:
Excellent work. I just adore that armor pattern on nacelles [Smile]

(And I can just picture large band of Griffies ten years from now, arguing over starhip designs seen in background [Big Grin] )

"Griffies"?!? [Eek!]
quote:
Originally posted by Triton:
Sorry, never saw this book, but I would very much like to get it. Anyone know where I could order a copy? New Eye Studio doesn't seem to carry it.

Aside from eBay, as Cap'n Mike already mentioned, try any used book stores in your area, as well as SciFi & Fantasy Cons, Star Trek Cons and you might also try Intergalactic Trading. They don't have it in stock right now, but I've seen it there before. They do have "Starship Design" in-stock, tho. I highly recommend that one, too, in case you don't already have it. Sadly, Barnes & Noble doesn't list it on their site....
quote:
Was this the book that got the cease and desist request from the Paramount legal department or was it a similar Treknology book?
As Aridas Sofia and Todd Guenther have told it, they've not received any C & D from Paramount.
quote:
Originally posted by Matrix:
Barnes and Noble carries it in most of their stores.

I actually like the Belknap class, not the Raan type, but the USS Belknap with the Connie refit type of Nacelles (I think they are called LN-64).

I tried to make a Belknap years ago, just never could figure out who to make the secondary hull. I though of heating it then squishing it among other ideas.

The best way to make something like this is to carve it from some medium such as balsa wood or foamcore. Once you've got the shape you want, you seal it and then go to work on your details. I'm pretty certain that the master for this secondary hull was done in some sort of wood, but can't be sure. If you try to heat and then "squish" the plastic of an ERTL Refit secondary hull, you'll likely be unhappy with the results.
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Y'know, Jeff...I really would LOVE taht ship of yours if the nacelle pylons ran straight across the dorsal of the secondary hull (it would just make so much more sense too!).
I believe there is a version that has the pylons that way, but it's been a looong time since I had that particular book.

...and you'd have more models completed if you'd just keep them darn cats out of your model room. [Wink]

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Kazeite
Member # 970

- posted      Profile for Kazeite     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Griffworks:
"Griffies"?!? [Eek!]

Griffies [Smile] Fanatics of your work. As in 'trekkies' [Big Grin]
capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Y'know, Jeff...I really would LOVE taht ship of yours if the nacelle pylons ran straight across the dorsal of the secondary hull (it would just make so much more sense too!).
I believe there is a version that has the pylons that way, but it's been a looong time since I had that particular book.

Balson-class command cruiser.
Griffworks
Member # 1014

- posted      Profile for Griffworks     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

The ship that Cap'n Mike mentions as the Balson class command cruiser can be seen here as being from the "Federation Starship Recognition Chart". I've also seen it in another fan produced work - "Line Officers Requirements" book?
quote:
...and you'd have more models completed if you'd just keep them darn cats out of your model room. [Wink]
Yeah, well... They keep my kids supplied with hours of endless "play" and stay away from my models now, for the most part. I guess it's payback for my models that Casper destroyed and I ain't about to stop the kids from havin' their fun.... [Wink]
quote:
Originally posted by Kazeite:
quote:
Originally posted by Griffworks:
"Griffies"?!? [Eek!]

Griffies [Smile] Fanatics of your work. As in 'trekkies' [Big Grin]
Now there's sumthin' to give you nightmares about! Fanatics that are named after you! [Eek!]
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually I like the Bekknap's secondary hull with the Balson's nacelle configuration.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Actually I like the Bekknap's secondary hull with the Balson's nacelle configuration.

Yes, but you're a retard, & thus your opinion is safely & harmlessly rendered null & void.

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

TheWoozle
Member # 929

- posted      Profile for TheWoozle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Are you going to have a ST:V type shuttle parked in the hanger?

--------------------
joH'a' 'oH wIj DevwI' jIH DIchDaq Hutlh pagh
(some days it's just not worth chewing through the leather straps in the morning)
The Woozle!

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Shik:
quote:

Yes, but you're a retard, & thus your opinion is safely & harmlessly rendered null & void.
Said the pot to the kettle.

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh nononono. Do NOT assume that I was in fact elevating myself above anyone else. It was a simple statement of fact with no comparative value imparted. Besides, I adore Belknap...although I still grumble about Decatur.

So ha.

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

Griffworks
Member # 1014

quote:

Wouldn't work. Belknap's secondary hull is too small for the Balson style pylons. To get the nacelles into that configuration, you'd have the pylons coming out of the top of the hangar bay! [Eek!]
quote:
Originally posted by TheWoozle:
Are you going to have a ST:V type shuttle parked in the hanger?

Haven't decided if it's going to be an ST:V or TMP shuttle, actually. Hell, I might just cram both in there! [Wink]
Mikey T
Driven
Member # 144

- posted      Profile for Mikey T     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I assume that your ship is in the same scale as the Enterprise-A kit in 1:537 scale. I'm just wondering because if it is, then that means you might buy the shuttles that Federation Models sells. I want to know how good of a quality they are before I buy the 1:1400 scale aux crafts.

--------------------
"It speaks to some basic human needs: that there is a tomorrow, it's not all going to be over with a big splash and a bomb, that the human race is improving, that we have things to be proud of as humans."
-Gene Roddenberry about Star Trek

Griffworks
Member # 1014

The only thing I'm aware of that they sell in the way of 1/537 scale auxiliary craft is the DS9 Runabout. That's 24th century, and latter in that century, at that. The Belknap class is a late 23rd/early 24th century ship, so the Runabout wouldn't work. I do have a number of the no longer produced Thomas Models TMP and ST:V shuttlecraft. Is there another 1/537 scale auxiliar ship that's sold thru FedMods besides the Runabout?

The Federation Models 1/1400 scale Delta Flyer and "Speedboat" shuttlecraft are pretty nice. I've not yet built mine up, but plan to eventually.

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps