Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » Designs, Artwork, & Creativity » U.S.S. Raan Almost Ready For Trial Runs (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: U.S.S. Raan Almost Ready For Trial Runs
Griffworks
Member # 1014

- posted      Profile for Griffworks     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Howdy Ya'll,

I've had a good amount of not only time, but inclination to do some modeling work the last week. Got maybe 12 hours in and devoted that specfically to three different projects, working one as another's glue/putty dried. Well, one more is pretty darned close to completion: U.S.S. Raan. Yeah, I used a Non-Smoothy for the nacelles and primary hull. However, I just didn't feel like sanding all that area. Plus, after at least two coats of primer and three or so coats of main hull color, that hull plating isn't nearly as noticable. Deal with it. [Wink]

Only thing which really concerns me at this point is the shuttlebay. Since the model sports an open bay, I'm going to have to figure out a way to mask the inside so as not to get overspray in there. Of particular concern is the hangar deck itself. Will likely have to be very careful w/some masking material of some sort. Any suggestions?

As always, constructive criticism and comments welcome. [Smile]

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Fill it with a wad of cotton. Or just don't have an open bay.

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You magnificent bastard. I've never been able to find pics of a credible looking Belknap model. ever.

i'll try transribing the Denebian, in exchange let me use pics of your model someday..

Griffworks
Member # 1014

- posted      Profile for Griffworks     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Absolutely you may use pics of the model. And you don't even have to do anything for decals. I'm always willing to share stuff like this as long as it's not-for-profit type stuff. [Smile]

Prolly be a month before I have this one complete, tho. Need to try to place the order for custom decals with JT Graphics. I'd approached him a couple months back, but he was busy getting ready for WonderFest, so asked me to get w/him about it later.

Anyhow, hopefully in a month. I don't have the best rep for finishing models, tho. Especially not w/myself! [Big Grin]

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nicely constructed model. Horrible design though.

Why don't you just use the normal (closed) shuttle bay door piece from the Connie kit and just temporarily fix it in place?
That should block any stray paint.

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

Griffworks
Member # 1014

Yeah, that was a pretty obvious one, wasn't it? Staring me right in the eye, as it were. Too simple for my brain, I guess. Had to have someone else point it out to me right after I posted the update to the page. Talk about feeling stoo-pid! [Roll Eyes]

Oh, well....

I didn't want to go with just stuffing some cotton balls or paper up there, was I want to show a semi-rounded deck like we get in ST:V's hangar bay scenes. I might foul it all up and not be able to get the effect I want, but I'm going to give it a try.

Thanks for the suggestions, fellas. I appreciate them.

SoundEffect
Member # 926

- posted      Profile for SoundEffect     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey, Jeff, wicked model...I'd like to see it finished. About covering the open shuttlebay, what about a large wad of non-stick gum? It shouldn't affect the paint at all and should provide a good barrier from overspray.

--------------------
Stephen L.
-Maritime Science Fiction Modelers-

Triton
Member # 1043

- posted      Profile for Triton         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I concur with Captain Mike, a very good model of the Belknap class. I too cannot wait to see it when its finished.

By the way, who or what is a Raan? Is it the last name of a hero of the Federation?

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I want to buy this model from you, or contract you to make another... But alas, my girlfriend would probably smack me for wasting money... [Wink]

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

Saltah'na
Chinese Canadian, or 75% Commie Bastard.
Member # 33

- posted      Profile for Saltah'na     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's the spirit, Topher. Remember, it's HER money, not yours. Whatever you get from work, family, etc, goes to HER benefit, not yours. [Big Grin]

--------------------
"And slowly, you come to realize, it's all as it should be, you can only do so much. If you're game enough, you could place your trust in me. For the love of life, there's a tradeoff, we could lose it all but we'll go down fighting...." - David Sylvian
FreeSpace 2, the greatest space sim of all time, now remastered!

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ahhh..... the Belknap:
I hate this design.
Hate it.

I LIKE the secondary hull but can't stand the nacelle pylons steming from the secondary hull's bottom.

I always suspected the design was made after the nacelles broke off someone's ERTL kit.
(you can't say you never thought of it!)

That being said, I can honestly say that your execution is absolutly top-notch.
The open shuttlebay looks amazing and the shuttlebay doors look better than any other model of the Connie Refit I've ever seen.

Hell-of-a-job there, Jeff.

....now if you'd just finish the ten other ships that are half done and langusing on your workbench of horrors....(sigh) [Razz]

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Woodside Kid
Member # 699

- posted      Profile for Woodside Kid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't mean to be the fly in the ointment, Jeff (especially since doing something like that model is beyond my skills), but the dorsal looks a little bit...off, somehow. Maybe it's the angle of the photos, but the shape of the aft part of the dorsal doesn't look quite right to me. At least, it doesn't seem to match the shape of the blueprints I've seen. (Specifically, I'm talking about the Inboard Cutaway foldout at the back of SOTSF.) Again, it may just be the way the model was photographed.

Still, it's a damn impressive piece of work. As I said, something like that is beyond my skills at model building; I've had a Stargazer vacuform sitting in my closet for years because I've been too chicken to tackle it. [Big Grin]

--------------------
The difference between genius and idiocy? Genius has its limits.

Kazeite
Member # 970

- posted      Profile for Kazeite     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Excellent work. I just adore that armor pattern on nacelles [Smile]

(And I can just picture large band of Griffies ten years from now, arguing over starhip designs seen in background [Big Grin] )

Triton
Member # 1043

- posted      Profile for Triton         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OK, the name U.S.S. Raan NCC-2519 comes from Ships of the Star Fleet Volume 1, it's a Belknap-class strike cruiser.

Sorry, never saw this book, but I would very much like to get it. Anyone know where I could order a copy? New Eye Studio doesn't seem to carry it.

Was this the book that got the cease and desist request from the Paramount legal department or was it a similar Treknology book?

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
two of my three copies of volume one were bought on ebay
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps