Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » Designs, Artwork, & Creativity » TOS-era Tactical Corps Shuttle (Page 3)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: TOS-era Tactical Corps Shuttle
Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just felt the need to add some [Eek!] [Cool] [Eek!] [Cool] [Eek!] here. The new weaponry looks very good, including the fact that the dorsal gun barrels now have some elevation capability.

The placement of the top turret is still problematic when firing at ground targets (arguably the main job of the weapon). Again, something more futuristic than the weapon depicted might be both more practical and cooler-looking. Could the turret be made to protrude more, and perhaps have some sort of visible telescoping or otherwise extending structure to allow for "top-down" firing? You know, a cobra head rising from the hull and spitting venom down at its victims...

A more protruding assembly would also suggest the gun takes up less room inside, so placement above the space that has the major exit doors would look more sensible. So that the teecees won't need to wear helmets to avoid bumping their heads to that thing. Trek troops cannot wear helmets. It's unconstitutional.

And yes, I love the concept of a "H family" of designs! All the more reason to make the weapons of the H-10 look like add-ons that don't require major alterations in the original structure.

Timo Saloniemi

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Winston, actually. [Wink]
Him too!

quote:
Are you planning on working on the Constitution Project?
Uhh...sure, why not.

quote:
BTW Rev, I can't remember if I ever sent you this link, but I know he's now updated the page with all the prints, which may be more accurate than Alan Sinclair's.
Yeah I'm sure I've seen those. I know that Masao has used them as reference for his version of the Connie.

quote:
Kenny, I'm sure your model is accurate, based on Rev's schematic. I was just thinking that the nose of his ship looked a bit long. Just my opinion.
After digging up your original thread I can see what you mean.
Thinking back, I belive I made the nose slightly bigger than it might appear in that tiny, fuzzy little picture so as to make it into a practical canopy instead of a blank protruding nub.

quote:
I concur with MMoM's suggestion of the Casimiro schematics. They're easier to work with the Alan Sinclair's, but I can't say which is more accurate. I based my schematics for the Museum on Casimiro's.
Most of the work is done, I just hit a brick wall when someone discovered that Sinclair's window arrangment was inacurate. I'll get back on it within the next few weeks...probably. *pokes Monkey with a stick*

quote:
Just felt the need to add some [Eek!] [Cool] [Eek!] [Cool] [Eek!] here. The new weaponry looks very good, including the fact that the dorsal gun barrels now have some elevation capability.
They always did. Initially I tried covering the turret joint with a sort of rubbery material, but it didn't look very good and would have probably been a pain for Kenny to model so I made it a little more visibly mechanical.

quote:
The placement of the top turret is still problematic when firing at ground targets (arguably the main job of the weapon). Again, something more futuristic than the weapon depicted might be both more practical and cooler-looking. Could the turret be made to protrude more, and perhaps have some sort of visible telescoping or otherwise extending structure to allow for "top-down" firing? You know, a cobra head rising from the hull and spitting venom down at its victims...
That would be treading a little too close to fanboy territory for my tastes.
As for the turret shape, I'm wondering if this weapon could actually fire projectiles...perhaps the same mortar rounds we saw in "Arena"?

quote:
A more protruding assembly would also suggest the gun takes up less room inside, so placement above the space that has the major exit doors would look more sensible. So that the teecees won't need to wear helmets to avoid bumping their heads to that thing. Trek troops cannot wear helmets. It's unconstitutional.
Have you ever been inside a real APC? (not that this is exactly an APC) I have and believe me, you'd be lucky if you can walk doubled over, without cracking your head on something (the real reason why soldiers wear helmets [Wink] ).
Seriously though, most of the people in the aft section will be sat down for most of the ride down and chances are they'll be horizontal on the ride up. A little protruding machinery in the centre of the craft is a minor inconvenience.

quote:
And yes, I love the concept of a "H family" of designs! All the more reason to make the weapons of the H-10 look like add-ons that don't require major alterations in the original structure.
Well if the H-10 is the baseline model then what you're looking at is the original structure.
Still I know what you mean and and it shouldn't be too difficult to remove the turret if need be and weld a plate of tritanium over the hull.
However if you look at the design of the main hull it is divided up into visible sections, the H-12 had only three while as you can see the H-10 has an extra section in the middle that contain's extra internal volume.

So basically it's these central sections which are different from variant to variant and each model is built for a specific purpose so there isn't much of a need to remove/add weapons in this manner.
Before anyone suggests otherwise, the modular nature of this design is purely for the benefit of the assembly line, so they can use the same jigs and moulds to create the common components and not have to rework the whole internal structure for every different model. It is not meant to be a swap-out/modular design where you can change the role of the craft by swapping one module for another.

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just an idea I'm toying with...
 -

The idea being to have one of these at each of the two sliding doors to provide fire support for disembarking/embarking troops, analogous to the mini-guns you see attached to helicopters in Vietnam movies.
For the sake of manuverability and ease of storage it is mounted on a spring force articulated support arm, the sort used on stedicams and the Smartguns from Aliens.

--------------------

Wraith
Zen Riot Activist
Member # 779

- posted      Profile for Wraith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ouch! I like. [Big Grin]

--------------------
"I am an almost extinct breed, an old-fashioned gentleman, which means I can be a cast-iron son-of-a-bitch when it suits me." --Jubal Harshaw

Axeman 3D
Member # 1050

- posted      Profile for Axeman 3D     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Meanwhile, at a production facility not a million miles away...

Perspective view of Gemini
Perspective comparison of Indigo and Gemini

--------------------
www.kennyscrap.com - where I download crap I make.

Sarvek
Member # 910

- posted      Profile for Sarvek     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Awesome work Axeman 3D. [Wink] It would be cool to see the Aquashuttle that Reverend also rendered like those craft. Reverend does some great work on starship and shuttle designs. [Wink]

Cheers,

Sarvek

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Those guns are very cool and totally in TOS-style! Kudos to both of you.

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

Styrofoaman
Member # 706

- posted      Profile for Styrofoaman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Very cool. Wish I had talent like this.

Like the missile with the RCS thrusters in place of fins.

--------------------
Like A Bat Out Of Hell...

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

For those of you who are fans of the original...
 -

--------------------

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps