Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » Designs, Artwork, & Creativity » Trek Typography (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Trek Typography
Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've made a short summary of fonts and colors used on displays.

Bearing in mind that I'm slightly colorblind, there might be a few errors (I'm not sure at all I got the ENT colors right).

Any glaring omissions and/or errors? I might also do summaries of TNG up to Nemesis.

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

Wes
Over 20 years here? Holy cow.
Member # 212

- posted      Profile for Wes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Fuckin' NICE! I was gonna ask what the names of the REAL fonts used in trek were, not the amature "FederationBold" types.

Any chance of you making a zip of the fonts for our use? Im sick of squishing Eurostile.

Also, what about Ship Hull fonts? Do they just use an outlined version of Microgramma?

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Some of the colours look a bit off to me, the saturation level on the movie-era dark blue and light green are way too high for a start and I don't ever recall seeing any blue at all on a TOS display.
But then I'm a little colour blind too.

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

TheWoozle
Member # 929

- posted      Profile for TheWoozle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's kinda funny to see the TOS text, in Courier New, that was obviously done with a manual type writer.

I'de like those Movie and TNG fonts too. Yuu usually only see the Ship Name fonts.

--------------------
joH'a' 'oH wIj DevwI' jIH DIchDaq Hutlh pagh
(some days it's just not worth chewing through the leather straps in the morning)
The Woozle!

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There was definitely some blue on Uhura's console. The yellow varies between near-white and smudgy orange.

You may be right about the Movie colors.

--------------------

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://members.fortunecity.com/msfm/trekmarkings/trekmarkings.htm for hull markings

--------------------
"Are you worried that your thoughts are not quite.. clear?"

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

I was just about to link to that.

The article does not mention the Enterprise-C, which had Starfleet BldExt with a black outline instead of a red one. There is a fan-font called Starfleet BldExt, and there's no reason not to use it. Although it doesn't have the modified 'D'.

And I believe your Fleet Old School is supposed to represent Machine Extended, Mike?

--------------------

Evolved
Member # 389

- posted      Profile for Evolved     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, we know they meant to put red outlining on the E-C, but ran out of time (if I recall Sternbach correctly).

Still, the folks at Utopia (is that where she was built?) could have run out of red paint, so who knows?

Wes
Over 20 years here? Holy cow.
Member # 212

- posted      Profile for Wes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
post fonts plz.
SoundEffect
Member # 926

- posted      Profile for SoundEffect     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for linking me in there Capt. Mike. I was about to link myself in there too.

I didn't include the Enterprise-C stuff because I thought that I've seen photos where a definite red can be seen in the outline of the font, unless I'm seeing an artifact of jpeg-ing.

Can anyone provide a pic of Enterprise-C that is either definitely red outline or undisputably black?

Black was only used on the AMT model decal sheet as an error...I'm not convinced of the filming model.

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Fleet Old School (which I might get around to finishing one day) is supposed to duplicate the Machine Ext, but it was reverse engineered from a variant of the Amarillo font.. i took the Amarillo and 'fixed' all the letters that differed from the TOS series decals.. i still have working files, i plan to add in "The Cage" characters that were part of the Amarillo base as a subset of the Fleet OS font, making it useful if you ever wanted to switch the era of your 1701 or whatever

--------------------
"Are you worried that your thoughts are not quite.. clear?"

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In this picture, I can only see a white outline around the E-C's registry.
Captain Boh
Member # 1282

- posted      Profile for Captain Boh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have a Star Trek card of some sort (can't find it at the moment though) that shows a computer display on TOS. The text on the screen looks like a modified Machine Extended
Axeman 3D
Member # 1050

- posted      Profile for Axeman 3D     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You could do worse than visit here...

http://simplythebest.net/fonts/TVshow_fonts.html

It has a vast array of fonts for all occasions, but since the names are 'made up" you have to go through it page by page to find the gold nuggets. I find it handy as I have to make more than just Trek models.

--------------------
www.kennyscrap.com - where I download crap I make.

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

A few odd fonts from TWOK:

- Retinal Scan #1 - Closest font I could find is called Clarendon Bold Extended

- Retinal Scan #2 - Unknown. Although on second thought, the basic Arial Rounded is a pretty good match.

- Kobayashi data - Unknown. I searched for this one before. It's strangely familiar, but nothing I found looks like it.

There are a lot more weird "computer-style" fonts in the early movies. It definitely got more universal after Okuda moved in...

--------------------

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps