Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » Designs, Artwork, & Creativity » Timo's starship guide update (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Timo's starship guide update
Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
By popular demand:

guide.zip

The thing, familiar to some from the tech forum, is still a graphics-free treatise of canon ships, SotSF and Spaceflight Chronology ships, major ships from novels, and assorted RPG ships sprinkled in to cover the gaps. Updates include

- a lot of streamlining to make this as ENT-compatible as possible, such as weapon type and performance specs revisions
- new small craft
- a few new ENT-era and ENT/TOS 'tween ships

and silly stuff that's there for the obsessed reader to find.

It's still a WIP, but apart from the shuttlecraft section it's finally beginning to come together. Suggestions and guest entries are welcome, but the policy is that each entry should tie at least somehow either to canon or to SotSF and SFC. FASA and SFB are okay if they fill a gap, but for example Masao's fantastic SF Museum stuff can't be used. This is not a creative work, after all, but merely a derivative one...

Timo Saloniemi

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Excellent as usual, Timo! Every time you release one of these things, I want to read the whole ting over again to catch every change, and to see how coherence is maintained from cover to cover. Should you ever publish this, I'm *so* insisting on a signed copy. [Smile]

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

seanr
Member # 277

- posted      Profile for seanr     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jesus! You definately need to publish that!

--------------------
Sean Robertson
[email protected]
WEBolutionary
Speaking Freely

"The ulimate measure of a man is not where he stands in times of comfort and convenience, but where he stands in times of challenge and controversy."
-- Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Another update, with FASA 'working ships' added.

And whaddaya know - the Lotus Flower freighter/tanker design, seen on some 1st season TNG screens and marketed by FASA as the class for Kobayashi Maru, can indeed be the Kobayashi Maru. With minor adjustments...

Conventional wisdom says the ST2 computer screen dimensions are all wrong for the ship seen in the TNG screens. Yet if one looks at the Lotus Flower closely, one can see a three-segment spine structure. If one assumes the Lotus Flower is modular, and scales her according to her single LN-64 nacelle, then the one-segment version matches the canonical Kobayashi Maru dimensions *almost exactly*! Coincidence or design? Who cares... She's one of the better-looking FASA creations in any case.

Timo Saloniemi

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You should publish this. Either in print or on the net. It's too good to sit idly on a few people's hard drives.

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

Dat
Huh?
Member # 302

- posted      Profile for Dat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, if he is going to publish on the net or in print, he needs to remove those picture placeholders by either actually putting in pics or just removing them and those captions altogether.

--------------------
Is it Friday yet?

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
D00d! U so totally forgot the USS Rand Ecliptic!

--------------------
"I'm nigh-invulnerable when I'm blasting!"
Mel Gibson, X-Men

Sarvek
Member # 910

- posted      Profile for Sarvek     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nice work Timo. [Wink] You are the only one that I know of that is doing this. Your work is very thought out and well organized. [Wink] When will you add graphics??
capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
perhaps we should start a graphics contribution list/open house for anyone who might contribute.

i know that i have tons of original art depicting non-canon starships

--------------------
"Are you worried that your thoughts are not quite.. clear?"

Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
YES!!
capped
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quiet, you!

--------------------

Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
100% Authentic!
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Captain from M.I.K.E.:
perhaps we should start a graphics contribution list/open house for anyone who might contribute.

i know that i have tons of original art depicting non-canon starships

Everyone does: would you include lal the diffrent non-canon versions of each ship (like the Apollo class) or just one that you think is best?

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

capped
Member # 709

well, those are completely conjectural designs... i mean i've done many renderings or drawings in my day of FASA ships, Spaceflight Chronology ships, SotSF ships, Franz Joseph ships, comics, novels, etc...

--------------------

Timo
Member # 245

Well, the nirvana solution would be to have a bunch of volunteers do the pictures as captioned in reasonable-quality CG, probably sharing the 3D models of the assorted ships with each other (since several would typically appear in a single pic), and working for virtual peanuts. [Razz]

Most of the ships already have a shape (and thus are probably already well represented in the virtual desk drawers of CG artists). Some don't, mainly those "Design: Own" buggers. Oh, I do have three-way pencil doodles of them, of course. There's also a third category: ships that have an intended shape in some publication or other (typically, Spaceflight Chronology) but are "different" in my view (usually meaning, the printed side view holds true but the 3D nature of the ship is a bit different from what young Sternbach intended). There'd have to be a two-way consultation process to get those done right.

In case Mike or somebody else wants his name immortalized in the annals of published fanfic, I'm all open to contributions. And suggestions as to how to compensate for their effort!

Timo Saloniemi

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps