Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » Designs, Artwork, & Creativity » Starfleet Ribbons (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Starfleet Ribbons
Intruder1701
Member # 880

- posted      Profile for Intruder1701     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Also Hobbes, your Starfleet Expeditionary Medal looks a little bit like the Global War on Terrorism Expeditionary Medal

--------------------
"Who cares if we bomb a few hospitals, it just means we got them a second time" Warrant Officer Robert Clift, CVN-71 OEF

Intruder1701
Member # 880

- posted      Profile for Intruder1701     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Belay my last, the Defense Medal is the one I was talking about not the Starfleet Expeditionary. Sorry

--------------------
"Who cares if we bomb a few hospitals, it just means we got them a second time" Warrant Officer Robert Clift, CVN-71 OEF

Hobbes
 Homicidal Psycho Jungle Cat 
Member # 138

- posted      Profile for Hobbes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is the GWOT Expeditiony: http://www.defenselink.mil/news/Mar2003/200303134a.jpg

It's one of the medals I got for WestPac during Operations Enduring Freedom/Iraqi Freedom. I also got a Sea Service Ribbon and a Navy Unit Citation.

The Starfleet Defense Service is suppose to look a little like the National Defense, as I said in the first post.

--------------------
I'm slightly annoyed at Hobbes' rather rude decision to be much more attractive than me though. That's just rude. - PsyLiam, Oct 27, 2005.

Matrix
AMEAN McAvoy
Member # 376

- posted      Profile for Matrix     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Since ribbons in the US go out for almost all wars we have been in shouldn't there be:

Cardassian War Medal (23** to 2366)
Sector 001 Defense Medal
Kzinti (spl) War Medal

Then of course there should be;

Long Term Exploration Medal
Something they would give to an officer after serving on board the ship that goes to outer reaches of known space for years much like the USS Stargazer would have had.
Good Conduct Award
In the US Navy, when you wear your medals and awards it's actually a little history for another sailor reading it. So if you don't have a good conduct award and you have a four year strip (or is it three year, Hobbes?) it shows that you fucked up somewhere along the way.

--------------------
Matrix
If you say so
If you want so
Then do so

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Kzinti (spl) War Medal"

Well, it's spelled "Tzenkethi"...

Evolved
Member # 389

- posted      Profile for Evolved     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nice work.

Since you write that the Silver Star is the highest Starfleet medal, shouldn't the first one be the Presidential Medal of Honor or something like that instead of Starfleet Medal of Honor?

I remember when the Doctor on Voyager was awarded some medal related to Christopher Pike (Medal of Valor/Honor?), and if I recall correctly, it looked just like a standard pip. We don't see ribbons and medals on uniforms (even dress uniforms) after the TOS movie era, it seems. I guess in the fictional world, their display disappeared around the same time that the enlisted rank insignia vanished.

Intruder1701
Member # 880

Yeah I got the GWOT Expeditionary Medal in the IO/Persian Gulf during Enduring Freedom and the Med during Iraqi Freedom. The Good Conduct Medal is mostly worn by enlisted personnel and the only officers that wear it are ones that are prior enlisted. It is given every 3 years of good conduct. So the only person I can think of in Star Trek that would wear it is Chief O'Brien

--------------------

Hobbes
 Homicidal Psycho Jungle Cat 
Member # 138

- posted      Profile for Hobbes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Matrix:
So if you don't have a good conduct award and you have a four year strip (or is it three year, Hobbes?) it shows that you fucked up somewhere along the way.[/i]

The Good Conduct Medal is given for three consecutive years of good services, ie, no Captain's Mast. I figure minor things like a Counciling Chit from your Leading Petty Officer wouldn't prevent you from getting it. Hash marks are the red stripes on the left sleeve of the dress uniforms. They're given for every four consecutive years of good service. You can't have one without the other. There's no way you're going to get a hash mark if you couldn't get a Good Conduct Medal. After 12 consecutive years of good services you can replace the red hash marks and chevrons in your rating badge with gold version.
The Air Force is a little different. They have a ribbon for everything... like being able to tie their boots correctly. Instead of hash marks and Good Conduct Medal, they get a Longevity Service Award.

The first ribbon is the Federation Medal of Honor. Please read the post. I already it can only be issued by the President of the Federation. The Silver Star is Starfleet's high honor, which can be issued to personnel by admirals. The Navy's highest honor it can give is the Navy Cross, the Navy can't give anyone a Medal of Honor, only the President. The Air Force's highest honor is the Air Force Cross and the Army has the Distinguished Service Cross.

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Captain's Mast. *snigger*
Woodside Kid
Member # 699

- posted      Profile for Woodside Kid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Hobbes:
The Air Force is a little different. They have a ribbon for everything... like being able to tie their boots correctly. Instead of hash marks and Good Conduct Medal, they get a Longevity Service Award.

Well, at least when I was in the Air Force (83-94) we got a Good Conduct Medal; mine has an oak leaf cluster.

And as for the crack about "tie their boots", my answer is the one I gave my brother when he said the Navy didn't give nonsense ribbons: "No, they give nonsense stripes!"

--------------------
The difference between genius and idiocy? Genius has its limits.

akb1979
Just loves those smilies!
Member # 557

- posted      Profile for akb1979     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Hobbes:
I couldn't find the ribbons there.

Go to the "Ship Database" and select "Medals" at the bottom of the screen. [Smile]

--------------------
If you cant convince them, confuse them.

Teh PW
Self Impossed Exile (This Space for rent)
Member # 1203

- posted      Profile for Teh PW         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by akb1979:
www.ussmiranda.com

This site has an extensive list of ribbons if you're stuck for ideas. Site's pretty cool too.

[Big Grin]

Thank you. This site is actually useful indeed. he uses ships cannon, speculative and what not from both offical, books and the Games...

quite useful indeed.

--------------------
*shrug* Ready, shoot, aim.

Teh PW
Self Impossed Exile (This Space for rent)
Member # 1203

- posted      Profile for Teh PW         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Harry:
Captain's Mast. *snigger*

snicker all you want. 'Capt's Mast' for the Navy, possible the Coast Guard as well; 'Office hours' for the Marines; 'Article 15' for the Army i think (if it has a local name, i don't know of it)

--------------------
*shrug* Ready, shoot, aim.

Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
He sniggered, to be fair.
Matrix
AMEAN McAvoy
Member # 376

- posted      Profile for Matrix     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You only go to that if you really fucked up.

I might be wrong since my BMR pretty much drowned in beer, but Hash Marks are only the indications of how long you served. For each one you get is how many reenlistments you had. So you have two that means you have been in greater than 8 years but less than 12. I only say this because on some POs you can see red hash marks as opposed to gold ones. Where I am from, if you are qualified to wear something, then you must wear it. The only exceptions are the collar devices on the coveralls and anytime you need to wear the metal ones. Even then you're ranks must match, just doesn't have to be gold. But on dress uniforms you must have gold if you are qualified.

--------------------
Matrix
If you say so
If you want so
Then do so

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps