Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » Designs, Artwork, & Creativity » Wow.

Author Topic: Wow.
Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
After meddling around in AutoCAD for a few hours wrapping my head around manipulating the coordinate axes to get the wedges to go right and much subtraction etc etc, I came up with this very basic first model of a 3D Elani ship!

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

- posted      Profile for Siegfried     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The nose of the ship looks a little off to me, but I can't quite place what the deal is. It may just be me. I think it looks good, though.

--------------------
The philosopher's stone. Those who possess it are no longer bound by the laws of equivalent exchange in alchemy. They gain without sacrifice and create without equal exchange. We searched for it, and we found it.

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, the nose isn't complete. And for the most part, the centre wedge of the ships isn't that wide. I was just playing around to figure out how to get the right tapering effects.

--------------------

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
AutoCAD? You're not one of those pathetic would-be civil engineering types, are you? B)
Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

Civil, no. Geological, yes. And I'm not pathetic. [Razz]

--------------------

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm a geographer. Does this mean if you post a DXF or DWG file, I'll be able to real-time spin around your model with my CAD viewer software here at work?

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

You can try.

--------------------

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
HA! It works! For whatever reason it doesn't put on any textures (I don't think that the software does it - I just use it to analyze pipline alignments and such), but it's still really cool to ship around it in 3D. If anyone wants, you can download a demo version of Fastlook (my software) from kamelsoftware.com to enjoy this like I am. Whee!

Hey, are there DWGs of sci-fi things anywhere on the net? I need to impress the babes over in Engineering.

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Topher:
Civil, no. Geological, yes. And I'm not pathetic. [Razz]

For the record, neither am I.

Nice ship.

--------------------
"Are you worried that your thoughts are not quite.. clear?"

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

So after messing with AutoCAD some more, I made the first rendering of a ship I've already designed, the Onajcok. The orignal 2D drawing can be seen here. Its missing the weapons emplacements, and the front is understandable more faceted than the 2D rendering. However I have the ability to export the model as a 3DS file, so maybe I can con some people into making textured versions someday. [Smile]

--------------------

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps