Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » Designs, Artwork, & Creativity » USS Excalibur bridge once again. (Page 1)

This topic comprises 14 pages: 1  2  3  4  ...  12  13  14   
Author Topic: USS Excalibur bridge once again.
Kazeite
Member # 970

- posted      Profile for Kazeite     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is something I've been working since I drew that bridge - isometric view of USS Excalibur a'la Fact Files [Smile]

This is the "original" bridge, just like it looked when Excalibur was commisioned:

http://flareupload.pleh.net/uploads/970/Excalibur-bridge1.jpg

And this is refitted bridge, just like it looked like in the "New Frontier novels:

http://flareupload.pleh.net/uploads/970/Excalibur-bridge2.jpg

So, what do you think? [Smile]

--------------------
"Do I remember about my amnesia?"

B.J.
Space Cadet
Member # 858

- posted      Profile for B.J.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Very nice! I love seeing isometric drawings like this. Did you draw it all from scratch, or did you manipulate some Fact Files scans? Just from the clean look, I'd say from scratch, but it's nice to hear it from the horse's mouth.

Oh, and what program do you use again? (It's hard to keep track of what everyone uses!)

B.J.

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's gotta be from scratch... the lights coming from the console podiums were never that defined in the Fact Files drawings, IIRC.

Very nice.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm guessing it was also traced or interpolated from the sketch of the NF version seen in that comic book... Fantastic job, though!

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

machf
Member # 1233

- posted      Profile for machf         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nice! Any plans to do other views?
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bueatiful work, but it looks far too cramped to me.

I'd probably give it at least another three feet clearance (about a meter) tactical rail and the backs of the chairs at the aft of the bridge.

It's pretty cramped and Kebron is a biiig guy- currently, anyone working tactical would have to move aside whenever someone needed to sit at the aft stations.

While I'm sure you've captured the look of the NF bridge perfectly, I've always thought the idea of two chairs side-by-side was dumb: the ship's captain should be easily identifiable to anyone from the viewscreen, and the look of "co-captains" makes me ill. [Wink]

Any idea what the far forward station is supposed to be for? It's pretty useless.

Again, it's a bueatiful illustration- as good as anything I've seen in Fact Files. [Smile]

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Same thing the one on the Enterprise C was for [Smile]

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

Kazeite
Member # 970

- posted      Profile for Kazeite     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[Big Grin]

Yeah, it was done tracing NF sketch and using Enterprise C, D and E bridges as a coloring reference.

I drew that using CorelDraw, so, except for bitmap LCARS, I could make some extreme closeups if I wanted to [Smile]

But yeah, Jason, you're probably right in everything you've said. [Smile]

And... yes, I intend to make another bridge, this time from scratch. Which one? It's a secret [Cool]

--------------------

B.J.
Space Cadet
Member # 858

- posted      Profile for B.J.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
CorelDraw, huh? You must be using a later version than I am (version 8), because the antialiasing I get on thin lines is not very good. Other than that, I love the program!

But just for kicks, could you tell me what export options you use? That might make a difference.

B.J.

Kazeite
Member # 970

Well, I simply export drawing twice the size I want, and then I shrink it in Photo-Paint to desired size [Smile]

And yeah, I use later version: 12, to be exact [Smile]

--------------------

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The forward console in the New Frontier comic is actually way smaller than that - in a frame where Soleta is briefing Calhoun and standing next to it, it's about knee high, and barely the size of the Ops or Conn pulpits. Also, the main viewer is significantly larger, covering the whole forward wall (the two smaller screens to port and starboard on the wall are omitted to provide the space).

All this certainly improves the ability of Ops, Conn, CO and XO to see the viewer even when somebody is toying with the forward console. If there's somebody there, he, she, s/he or it must be crouching pretty deep. [Smile]

Admittedly, it looks a tad silly - but it's something quite unique to and characteristic of the refitted Excalibur, and as such might be featured in your design.

Timo Saloniemi

B.J.
Space Cadet
Member # 858

Okay, you use the same cheat I do when exporting. [Smile] Your lines still look better, though. I'm certain that's been one of the improvements over the years.

Planning on doing any other bridges or rooms?

B.J.

Captain Serek
Member # 1038

- posted      Profile for Captain Serek     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Kazeite, great bridge, as expected. I look forward to your surprise bridge.

--------------------
I've come a long way for the power of Genesis, and what do I find? A Square Pegs reject, another actress playing Saavik, and Leonard Nimoy's stand-in.

Kazeite
Member # 970

Timo, I know all that. As far as I can tell, comic bridge actually has different shape. Besides, it has different colors.

So, basically, I was keeping true to the sketch, not the comic.

--------------------

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Few Trek comics have any sort of consistency in visual design. "Double Time" (right?) is an anomaly in this respect, as most of the starship exteriors are generally accurate. The interiors certainly did not show the same sort of continuity.

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

This topic comprises 14 pages: 1  2  3  4  ...  12  13  14   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps