Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » Designs, Artwork, & Creativity » The NCC-1000 from 2k6 SotL Calendar (Page 2)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: The NCC-1000 from 2k6 SotL Calendar
Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by AndrewR:
Annnd, where is Mojo?? He could answer the question as to who "Meni" is.

Adam "Mojo" Leibowitz where are you?

Adam doesn't read these forums no more. However, some of us may still be able to contact him. Caveat - he had little to do with Enterprise, and nothing to do with the last couple SOTL calendars.

Incidentally, I found this out on a fandom chronology when looking up "NCC-1000":

quote:
Stardate 29039.2, 06 June
The USS Horizon NCC-1000 cruiser, class ship of another all-new Horizon class (Horizon (II) class?), is laid down at UESPA, Starfleet Division, San Francisco Yards, Earth.
[USS Enterprise Heavy Cruiser Evolution Blueprints]

Other links to NCC-1000 and "Horizon" bring similar results. I hadn't known this before... Perhaps it IS the USS Horizon, in some re-imagined view of history by "Meni" who had read a few old documents?

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

machf
Member # 1233

- posted      Profile for machf         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmmm... interesting possibility. It appears in the James Dixon chronology (take a look here and here) as the USS Horizon mentioned in A piece of the action. Although this site has it as an update on the Daedalus Class.

Still, both the starship and the station seem to have been modeled by playing around with a Constitution and a K-7. I'd expect something a little more, er, 'original', so to speak... you can recognize too many of the components of the supposedly 'later' models in there. I have nothing against keeping component commonality in a design, but just not this way.

Edit: OK, I've been thinking some more. Do you remember that ENT-ized Constitution from a couple of years ago? Thinking about it, I've realized that we haven't seen any ENT-era Starfleet vessels with a secondary hull, have we? We need to find out a possible explanation for the evolution of the secondary hull and the placement of the deflector dish on its front. Let me think some more about this to see what I can come up with.

[ April 08, 2006, 10:45 AM: Message edited by: machf ]

Captain Boh
Member # 1282

- posted      Profile for Captain Boh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
While the ship parts do look like they're modeled after the Constitution, too many parts look different to me for it to have been built from other models, unless they were heavyly modified from the Refit model, which they look more like to me.
jX
Member # 1201

- posted      Profile for jX     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Rememebr Captain Boh, this is a CG model. It's trivial to alter to fit. [Smile]

machf: No, but we know that they evolve with designs like the Daedalus. Since historically the secondary hull has been where the engines branch off, it was logical to place Engineering there, so we can assume that later there were needs for more internal volume, and it isn't a huge leap to think "Let's separate out the engineering and support sections from the living quarters in case something explodes, like back on the Enterprise when Archer got into a fight with those seven Klingon ships. Boy what a mess that was..." [Smile]

Shakaar: Hehehe. No, just an older HP 5200C. While I'm not nearly as accomplished as Aban Rune, I'm somewhat of an old hand at Photoshop. [Wink]

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mark Nguyen:
quote:
Originally posted by AndrewR:
Annnd, where is Mojo?? He could answer the question as to who "Meni" is.

Adam "Mojo" Leibowitz where are you?

Adam doesn't read these forums no more. However, some of us may still be able to contact him. Caveat - he had little to do with Enterprise, and nothing to do with the last couple SOTL calendars.

Mark

Well maybe we could initiate a campaign to get "Unseen Frontier" back on the drawing board. There's less of a glut of Trek books now... The success of the calendars swould help as well!
Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

- posted      Profile for Mars Needs Women     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The design has grown on me and I do enjoy it greatly. I feel it has a kinda smug look almost as though its intended to be a Constitution "compact". What do you think such a design could be used for? Science Vessel a la Oberth-class? Scout?
jX
Member # 1201

- posted      Profile for jX     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, consiedering the registry number she'd be the Horizon most likely (but I doubt it personally), so she'd be a general exploration vessel, butshe just looks like a hotrod to me. You pull her out of the spacedock on Saturday nights and drag race the Klingons for pink slips. [Wink]
Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
From the looks of her, she's either unarmed, or then contemporary to the similarly smooth NCC-1701, or both.

If we take NCC-1000 to be significantly older than NCC-1701, the picture would have to represent some sort of a refit status, and all bets as to the original design intent and mission would be off. If the two are contemporaries, their equipment standards don't visibly differ, so their missions could be identical as well.

What is the name of the ship? The last letters apparently are inverted C and inverted N. [Smile] With a bit of squinting, one could pretend they are O and N, which would be very, very convenient indeed... [Razz]

My pet interpretation is that this is indeed a late 22nd century USS Horizon of Horizon class, majorly refitted to serve as a testbed for the upcoming Constitution class as postulated in various fan works. Hey, she's a far closer Constitution match than the butt-ugly sphere-and-can configuration sometimes proposed...

The Constellation (NCC-1017) would originally have been a classmate, but would have undergone a more extreme reworking to trailblaze the NCC-1700; the saucer is already basically there, and one would only need to build a new midsection for the secondary hull and weld the bow and stern to that, then add the connecting neck and new pylons. Less work than turning NCC-1701 into NCC-1701-refit, certainly!

Not the ideal solution to the Constellation history problem by any means, but still lot better than the sphere-and-can one - and still deriving from "semi-canon" material, sort of.

Timo Saloniemi

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You're, like, such a dork, Timo. [Razz]

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Pot, I present to you: kettle.

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well I think it is gorgeous. The colors and the whiteness of the hull, really nostalgic. Like the first shots of the Dantine IV in the teaser pics of Revenge of the Sith, when you could connect the dots in design lineage and interior decoration.

The whole design conveys speed. I'd like to see this Sovvie- or Promminized. Perhaps...perhaps even - *GASP* - Rhodeislandized!?

jX
Member # 1201

Nim I agree 100%. It says "speed" much moreso than the NX design or even the Akira, IMO. Of course, I do love TOS and Movie era designs the best. [Smile]
Peregrinus
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 504

- posted      Profile for Peregrinus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I keep trying to write something, and I keep having to stop and erase, because I know the views I espouse -- though rational, and logically-derived -- are not that popular with a lot of Flare-ites. So... Let's just say I agree with some of you and disagree with some of you. *heh* As for the ship, I kinda like it, but the mental jury is still out deliberating.

--Jonah

--------------------
"That's what I like about these high school girls, I keep getting older, they stay the same age."

--David "Woody" Wooderson, Dazed and Confused

Masao
doesn't like you either
Member # 232

- posted      Profile for Masao     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The artist known as "Meni" (His website: http://www.menithings.com/) posted in this thread at Trek BBS a few days ago. The ship is named Bonaventure!
quote:
Hey,

I decided to join this forum in an effort to answer your questions concerning my SOTL image. I didn't realize just how much interest this image had generated until I got an email from one of this forum's members.

So here's the longform description, edited from a mail I sent to Mike Okuda:

Constructed some 60 years before Captain Kirk�s famous USS Enterprise, the NCC-1700 Bonaventure Class cruiser was the first official starship to be used by the newly formed United Federation of Planets. Mike Okuda suggested that name because an episode of the animated Star Trek series suggested that the first warp powered ship was the Bonaventure.

The design embodies elements of both the NX-01 Enterprise that precede it, and the Constitution class USS Enterprise that followed it. Seen here is the prototype that has yet to be christened its eventual name: the USS Bonaventure (being the first of its type, it takes the name of the class). Also seen is Space Station K-2, which is an ancestor to the K-7 station first seen in Star Trek episode �The Trouble with Tribbles�.

I designed the ship specifically for the calendar.

Hope this helps!

- meni

--------------------
When you're in the Sol system, come visit the Starfleet Museum

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmm. 2245 - 60 = 2185. That's about 25 years too late. Of course, considering the incredible continuity problems with the TAS Bonaventure, I can't complain too much. I can certainly see the design as one of those "Warp 7 ships" they mentioned in the ENT-finale-that-shall-not-be-named.

But I'm still not too impressed with it. After all, it looks more like a streamlined Paris-class light cruiser than anything else... [Razz]

The most interesting thing I thought of, though, is the idea that no one ever seemed to consider before � that Starfleet started counting its NCC- numbers at 1000, rather than 1. It certainly convolutes all the other arguments, and I certainly don't endorse the idea myself (yet, anyway), but it's interesting nonetheless.

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps