Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » Designs, Artwork, & Creativity » Post-Daedalus Heavy Cruiser (Page 9)

This topic comprises 10 pages: 1  2  3  ...  6  7  8  9  10   
Author Topic: Post-Daedalus Heavy Cruiser
Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh, right. The pre-war tankers.

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

Daniel Butler
I'm a Singapore where is my boat
Member # 1689

- posted      Profile for Daniel Butler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like the idea of naming them after dragons, but those dragon names seem to be Asian in origin, which tend to be hard to pronounce for ignorant Westerners. Plus nobody'll know what they are. Then again I guess there aren't many named dragons in the west, at least not famous ones. But you could call it Dragon-class, and get the names from something else.
Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Daniel Butler:
I like the idea of naming them after dragons, but those dragon names seem to be Asian in origin, which tend to be hard to pronounce for ignorant Westerners.

Gee, can't imagine why.

Another thought: you said conversion of weapon spaces & the like was deemed too expensive. I could see that for converting to a normal front-line ship...but what if they gutted these buggers of weaponry & made them big hospital ships afterward? They've got the space, volume, so on...& maybe engine efficiencies would increase some when ferrying doctors & wounded rather than kill-o-zap rays.

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

Masao
doesn't like you either
Member # 232

- posted      Profile for Masao     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't care if people recognize or can pronounce the names of my ships! I was considering including Smaug, Vermithrax, and Temeraire, but I thought that would be a bit cute (but I've used similar names before (ie Susan Calvin).

Probably the cheapest way to convert the ship would be to cut the head off and put on a new one. The hull will be packed with weapons, which will be a real chore to take out.

--------------------
When you're in the Sol system, come visit the Starfleet Museum

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's a shame they never developed the Vulcans, Andorians etc to the extent they did the Klingons or Bajorans because it'd be nice to use some alien names once in a while.
Actually, wasn't there a Vulcan god of war?

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I do like the dragon idea, too. And I came across another name, Theli. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theli -- I'd link to it directly, but UBB is refusing to allow me to include a URL with any form of parentheses in it!

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One concern is that naming them after dragons is that it may offend the Berengarians. [Wink]
I've often thought it'd be fun to explain the origin of Dragons in mythology as an ancient Berengarian ship crashing on Earth and stranding the crew.

--------------------

Shik
Member # 343

I don't think Berengarian dragons are indigenous sapients. I think they're just local fauna that's dragon like in appearance

--------------------

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

I don't think it was ever stated either way. Personally I think sapient dragons are a hysterically funny thing to have in the Star Trek universe and only slightly less silly than talking cat people.
Besides, it was apparantly on par with Vulcan, Andor and Earth in terms of importance, so I highly doubt it's a colony planet and there's no mention of indigenous humanoid life. Somehow I like the idea of the Vulcan surveyor classifying the "dragons" as fauna, only to have them come over and say hello while they're laying the foundations for a colony. Most amusing.

--------------------

Daniel Butler
I'm a Singapore where is my boat
Member # 1689

- posted      Profile for Daniel Butler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You could call them... Gold, Silver, Red, Black, ... even call the different wings of the fleet Chromatic, Prismatic, and Metallic.... *cough*
Masao
doesn't like you either
Member # 232

- posted      Profile for Masao     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is nearing completion. I sent it out to my interior guy (Allen Rolfes), and he's taking a pass at it so that the interior and exterior of the ship will actually fit! On his suggestion I've slightly modified a few things.

-

--------------------

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I still think there are too many laser cannons on the front. Having just a single row (four of them, probably the lower pairs only) would fit a lot better with the other designs you've done. After all, even the Conqueror only had two laser turrets. I think that four would be enough, especially considered that they're fixed mountings and can't be aimed, and the entire ship probably maneuvers like a brick in molasses.

(BTW, shouldn't there be some Wasp-style ball turrets, too? Maybe two ventral and two dorsal on the command hull?)

I think you might want to change the registry number, too. This design is about the same age as the Wasp class. But according to the ship list so far, all the registry numbers from -150 through -237 are taken by Daedalus, Comet, and Wasp respectively. I think that the original number (-291) fit rather well, myself.

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Shik
Member # 343

Yeah, but that list also has Bisons with standard NCC numbers rather than the NCC-T prefixes, so it's already somewhat out of date.

Hm. You raised the bustle slightly. I dig that. And now that I think about it, perhaps a smaller aft ventral weapons emplacement somewhere? Maybe not one as large as the main guns but a something.

--------------------

Masao
doesn't like you either
Member # 232

I forgot about the Starfleet Comets. I may have to change some numbers around. I might assign Comet to a scout series or something. I have to renumber all the Olympus Mons ships. Man, more work.

Allen Rolfes is doing the interiors now. He seems to think all these weapons will actually fit ok. I'm a bit sceptical, but he knows his work.

I had to tear down and redo the back end of the thorax and the bustle. the centerlines weren't matching. Also, the bustle has been slimmed down slightly to prevent the dorsal impulse thruster from burning a hole through it.

This ship predates Wasp, so doesn't necessarily have what Wasp has. I'm thinking that this ship tried to introduce a lot of stuff in a single package, but all the new techs didn't mesh so well. The various components were finally refined and were successfully used by later ships.

--------------------

Shik
Member # 343

You could also just cut back the number of Comets given over to Starfleet, maybe by half or a third.

--------------------

This topic comprises 10 pages: 1  2  3  ...  6  7  8  9  10   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps