Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » Designs, Artwork, & Creativity » History of Starfleet -- WIP (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: History of Starfleet -- WIP
Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Timo seems to have stopped posting here altogether in favour of TrekBBS...

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

akb1979
Just loves those smilies!
Member # 557

- posted      Profile for akb1979     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Boo! What's his username there, do you know?

--------------------
If you cant convince them, confuse them.

thesonofodin
Member # 1025

- posted      Profile for thesonofodin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
akb, I contacted Timo months ago, and he did a newer version of the guide. It has expanded a bit, and new info in the guide.

--------------------
There is nothing wrong with wearing Depends at my age!!!
I'm just too lazy to get up and goto the bathroom!!!!

akb1979
Member # 557

- posted      Profile for akb1979     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cool! Where can I get a copy please? Love the edition I have but would love to see the latest. [Smile]

I also wish to see more of this one here in this thread - it's very good, I like it! [Big Grin]

--------------------

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I knew it! Timo's the Thing- get the flamethrowers!

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

akb1979
Member # 557

Have you finished this? Is there any more? [Smile]

--------------------

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Woo doggies, it's been some time. But hey, we're up & ready to go again. That being said, I've done some edits & even have some new product. So, I present the first 4 articles for your perusal:
  • Foundation covers the founding of the Federation and Starfleet in 2161, with a minor recapping of the Romulan War. (9 pgs.)
  • Unity covers 2162 through 2175. (10 pgs)
  • Trailblazer details ships from 2186 to 2202, interim history from 2175. (12 pgs.)
  • Deeprange runs from 2221 to 2242, with interim history from 2200. (17 pgs.)
I've also included the initial draft for Sentinel (20 pgs.), which covers 2254 to 2269...sort of. The interim history runs from about 2240 & the article in truth ends at 2265, but the last class enters service in 2269, so it's somewhat pseudopodic.

As usual, looking for general critique & comment, & even possible enjoyment. Questions, comments, complaints, & racial epithets can be sent my way as needed. I would ask that they be of a constructive nature, though; don't just say me you don't like something, tell me why. Be specific. I'd also appreciate being told of any grammatical & spelling errors; sometimes the eyes slide over things after so many readings. In the case of Sentinel, I know there's overuse of some words. Normally I make great use of Word's thesaurus but that article was about 85% written on a crappy mobile phone-sized Android tablet & I couldn't find a free thesaurus app with a sufficiently diverse offline dictionary. Keep that in mind: I'm effectively writing a book on a cellphone.

All files are in PDF format for easier viewing on tablets, & can be found here: https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B5HtjQmKMnxcamJxaXVpYUpvaGc&usp=sharing

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So what you're saying is, you've done all this on a PADD? [Wink]

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
More or less, yeah, & don't think I don't think about that all the time.
MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is there a missing article from your folder? There seems to be a gap between 2200-2220.

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Shik
Member # 343

quote:
Originally posted by Shik:
So, I present the first 4 articles for your perusal:
  • Foundation covers the founding of the Federation and Starfleet in 2161, with a minor recapping of the Romulan War. (9 pgs.)
  • Unity covers 2162 through 2175. (10 pgs)
  • Trailblazer details ships from 2186 to 2202, interim history from 2175. (12 pgs.)
  • --->Deeprange runs from 2221 to 2242, with interim history from 2200. (17 pgs.)<---

There used to be an article twixt Trailblazer & Deeprange called Third Wave. It was deemed redundant, cannibalized & elements reused in the other articles, &the ships first deleted, then repurposed & put at the start of Deeprange.
MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Gotcha. And I just noticed there's a gap from 2175-2186, too, obviously for the same reason.

I like it a lot. Interesting rationalizations for things like the Constitution numbering anomalies. Lots of interesting stories and tidbits (like Garth and Section 31, a twist I should've seen coming sooner than I did). Your insight into why the Klingons despise the Humans makes a lot of sense too (surgical strikes and proportional retaliation insult their honor). I don't really have any specific feedback, it holds together very tightly.

Will you be adding other pages on specific ships? Or linking to references? Some of the classes I'm already familiar with, but others seem to be your own design.

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Shik
Member # 343

Wow, actual feedback!

Right, there's no reason to believe that introduction of new classes is continuous & constant.

Glad to hears it reads well & fits together. The edits to streamline we're large. You can get a sense of it by comparing the first four with Sentinel. I try to take the time to make my reasonings be plausible rather than "wow, that's cool!"; I feel it makes for a better product. The Garth scandal took a lot of time because I wanted to do it right, without falling into the traps others do/did (such as yet another mad admiral, or the constant overuse of Section 31 as villains) & linking that to a larger thing helped me put Nogura where I wanted him to be. There's also a neat irony in that the fall of Starfleet's 2nd hero led to the 1st becoming its new head, who then paves the way for the rise of the 3rd. But Nogura is very well fleshed out in my mind, to the point where I could do a doctoral thesis on him.

I also try to stay away from two things I really hate: the need to tie every little thing in (something that's the bane of the recent novel verse) & making every known canonical fact a major thing. For example, many have Bryce Shumar of Essex being this well-known captain, when in fact it was more like "...Bryce who?" So I barely mentioned the ship in passing, & that as an incidental. Unless it's really important, it's not necessary to mention. Sentinel was/is hard because there's so MUCH to mention, & it can't all be handled in a straightforward linear fashion; it HAS to jump around, back & forth.

Class-specific pages will eventually be written in the future; they are the promise of new content when the site eventually goes up. These generational articles provide the initial introduction & framing of the times, & are, I feel, a good starter set when all of them are done. As for the classes themselves, there are designs set for all post-Foundation classes but 2, at the far end near 2400, & are being worked on currently. There are 12 Foundation classes that have no design as yet, all nonhuman ships, & I would work those out with whomever ends up drawing them. That's the thing: I will need an artwork partner, because some things need redraws or edits, & others are merely quick pen-&-ink sketches. But again, that's for the future.

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

thesonofodin
Member # 1025

- posted      Profile for thesonofodin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Does anyone know if this project ever got finished?

--------------------
There is nothing wrong with wearing Depends at my age!!!
I'm just too lazy to get up and goto the bathroom!!!!

Shik
Member # 343

In fact, I DO know if this project ever got finished.

The answer is no, is has not been finished....but it is very close to being finished. Currently, I have the outline built for the very last article piece & am doing the physical edits on the penultimate one. When I finally finish the last one, I'm going to take a month or so off before beginning the 2nd-round edits to further shape it, then it goes to the the reading team. With luck, I will be in a place both creatively & financially to begin work on the actual website well before the end of this year, but the end of the year is the goal.

--------------------

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps