Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » Designs, Artwork, & Creativity » Excelsior-class Modification (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Excelsior-class Modification
Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here's a little design I've toying with. I first made it out of chopped up micro-machines, then made a little schematic thingy. I did a color diagram, but color doesn't suit it well. However, if one of you wizard artists out there would like to make a decent diagram, be my guest.

Excelsior-class Modification (U.S.S. Monaghan NCC-2100)
Length: 469 m
Beam: 186 m
Height: 78 m
Weight 1.5 million metric tonnes
Computer Systems: Isolinear matrix, Korimar data storage pods
Crew Compliment: 700
Support craft: 20 Type-7 shuttlecraft (Occultus version)
Transporters: 6 standard, 6 emergency, 3 cargo
Armaments: 3x Type-V phaser emplacements; 3x Type-X phaser arrays; 4x Type-II phaser caannons (Occultus version); 6x rapid fire remora torpedo tubes + 375 torps
Defence Systems: High redundancy level shield system; interphase cloak; level 9 structural integrety field
Propulsion Systems: Corsica Systems CVF-20156 cold fusion impulse reactors; Corsica Systems CRT-61007 warp core
Maximum Sublight Speed: 0.95c
Maximum Lightspeed Cruise: Warp Factor 8
Maximum Rated Lightspeed: Warp Factor 9.9795

------------------
Star Trek: Dark Horizon
Creator, Owner, Only Writer

[This message was edited by Fabrux on June 17, 1999.]

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Either I'm missing something, or the dorsal torp launchers would fire directly into the saucer section!

OUCH!

------------------
"... Then you'll see me do some MAJOR dancing on your face!" -- Cosby

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually, the pod's been rotated so the torp launchers face aft. If there are any aft-firing tubes on the Miranda-class pod, then they've been removed on this ship.

------------------

Warped1701
Back from Vacation
Member # 40

- posted      Profile for Warped1701     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A very nice design, but personally, I see a few problems with some of the specifications.

1. Interphase cloak. The registry on this ship is 2100, suggesting it was built somewhere inbetween the 2290's or the 2310's. The first 'illegal' interphase cloak wasn't introduced until 2358.

2. High warp factor. If this ship was indeed constructed in the 2310's as the registry suggests, a warp speed of 9.9795 seems highly unlikely. Especially if 50 years later the max speed for the E-D was 9.9 for 10 minutes. It would be plausible if the ship could reach this speed for 2-5 minutes, at the cost of it's warp core, however.

3. Type X phasers. I don't think the Type X phaser was implemented until the GCS. If so, this ship cannot carry phasers that large. I won't say anything about the phaser cannon, since the Reliant had something similar in the 2280's.

If the registry is boosted into the 40000-50000 range, it would seem likely that this might be possible through upgrade and modification. But with the 2100 registry, these specs seem unlikely.

------------------
"Angels and Ministers of Grace, defend us"
-Hamlet, Act I, Scene IV

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Monaghan... Irish, Fabrux?

------------------
"A Star Wars picture that preaches against greed is a little like Bill Clinton in the pulpit for a chastity-begins-at-home campaign."

-Rex Murphy on Star Wars Episode 1: The Phantom Menace

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

Well, I haven't told you guys everything about this ship. It is the flagship of the Occultus Shipyards, a shpyard that was created in the late 2280's by Starfleet in a secret location. The last design sent to the yards was the Excelsior-class, then all contact with the Federation was lost. Everyone forgot about them. So, they had to fend for themselves. This ship has undergone innumerable modifications, as it is also a testbed for new technologies. The cloak on her is experimental for the shipyards. They have no clue that cloaking technology was outlawed in the Federation.

The_Tom: I actually have no idea if it's Irish or not; I named it after a destroyer that was at Pearl Harbour when it was attacked.

------------------

Hobbes
 Homicidal Psycho Jungle Cat 
Member # 138

- posted      Profile for Hobbes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I sailed past the Arizona Memorial in Pearl Harbor on a USN destroyer, heh. You know all the crew has to get out on the deck and salute it as they pass. Nevermind. Of course if I were naming a ship after the Jap attack on military bases on Oahu, I'd do it after the USS Arizona.

I think it might be better if the weapons pod thing was a little higher up. And I also noticed you flipped the end of the secondary hull upside-down. If shuttles are suppose to come out of there it would be too hard, near impossible, because the floor is curved instead of flat.

Hobbes

------------------
Got Trek?

Sunspot
Wasting Away
Member # 77

- posted      Profile for Sunspot     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
If shuttles are suppose to come out of there it would be too hard, near impossible, because the floor is curved instead of flat.

*LOLOL* Okay, if you say so...

The bottom of the saucers of ships are curved, and the decks are flat. . . *L*

Okay, I'm done...

------------------
"You were right about the negotiations...they were short."
Obi-Wan Kenobi to QuiGon Jinn, The Phantom Menace

Hobbes
 Homicidal Psycho Jungle Cat 
Member # 138

- posted      Profile for Hobbes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Okay, fine. But I still think if the shuttle bay were modified some it would work out more and look better.

Hobbes

------------------
Got Trek?

Warped1701
Back from Vacation
Member # 40

- posted      Profile for Warped1701     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Of course, the people at the shipyard should know that cloaking devices are illegal, since they were outlawed by the Treaty of Algeron back in the 2140's-2160's that ended the Romulan War.

------------------
"Angels and Ministers of Grace, defend us"
-Hamlet, Act I, Scene IV

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Perhaps they "conveniently forgot"... :-)

------------------
"If you hear only one song this year, there's something terribly wrong with you."
-They Might Be Giants, "Critic Intro"

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

That doesn't sound right, Chris. Seems to me, cloaks were banned from the Federation sometime after 'The Enterprise Incident', weren't they?

------------------

The359
The bitch is back
Member # 37

- posted      Profile for The359     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cloaks were banned from the Federation in 2301 following the Tomed Incident and the signing of the Treaty of Algeron. The 2160 Romulan War's ending only established the Romulan Neutral Zone

------------------
"The one, the only, THE 359!"

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

There. If the yards lost contact shortly after the Excelsior-class was approved for mass-production, then they couldn't have known about the ban on cloaks in the Federation.

------------------

Federation Shipmaster
Kai Tak Pilot
Member # 15

- posted      Profile for Federation Shipmaster     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
700 crew seems excessive. Also, 20 shuttles is far too much. And I'm betting that Monaghan is a surname, kind of like some of his other ships.

------------------
What bloke invented signatures?

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps