Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » Designs, Artwork, & Creativity » Constellation Class MSD (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Constellation Class MSD
Jb
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here's my newest attempt at a MSD, this time of a Constellation class ship. Let me know what you think!

http://www.geocities.com/msdman2002/constellationclass.jpg

Sorry it's on Geocities, but the price was right. [Smile]
Thanks!
Jb

IP: Logged
Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not bad. Are you sure you have the deck count right though? It seems like you made the ship a tad large. I don't think that a shuttle would be that small in comparison to the ship.

Also, it seem like the Warp Trasfer Conduits would follow the angle of the nacelle pylons. Though I do like the railings you have on each deck that presumably encircle the conduit as it goes down.

Pretty cool.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

akb1979
Just loves those smilies!
Member # 557

- posted      Profile for akb1979     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
JB,

1) Your MSD looks like a more detailed reversal of one I already have (although your's is clearer).

2) I have a copy of the above mentioned pic, as well as another, cruder one. Private message me if you'd like me to email them to you.

3) Too many decks - should be around 11 or 12.

4) The warp pylons should'nt have decks in them, they're only there to support the nacelles and internal machinery.

5) Overall: a pretty good attempt. I look forward to the next.

[Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

--------------------
If you cant convince them, confuse them.

Jb
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I based this MSD on the cutaway produced by Jackill, with some additions on my own, (such as a little thing called a warp core;)). Looking at it from an objective viewpoint, there are too many decks. But I do not see why there can not be decks in the pylons leading to the warp nacelles, they are certainly large enough.
Thanks for the feedback!
Jb

IP: Logged
Hobbes
 Homicidal Psycho Jungle Cat 
Member # 138

- posted      Profile for Hobbes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A swimming pool. Now there's something you don't see on every MSD. [Eek!]

--------------------
I'm slightly annoyed at Hobbes' rather rude decision to be much more attractive than me though. That's just rude. - PsyLiam, Oct 27, 2005.

akb1979
Just loves those smilies!
Member # 557

- posted      Profile for akb1979     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jb:
But I do not see why there can not be decks in the pylons leading to the warp nacelles, they are certainly large enough.

Yeah they are - from the side. If you look at them from the front or the back, then they aren't that wide. They only have enough room for the warp transfer conduit and Jeffries tubes (I think anyways).

quote:
Originally posted by Jb:
Thanks for the feedback!

Any time mate, I'm happy to oblige!

[Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

--------------------
If you cant convince them, confuse them.

David Templar
Saint of Rabid Pikachu
Member # 580

- posted      Profile for David Templar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There should be phaser banks somewhere on the lower saucer, close to the center, if you go by that pic of the Picard Manuver in the Encycl. Should be torpedo launcher(s) somewhere, too, probably.

--------------------
"God's in his heaven. All's right with the world."

Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

- posted      Profile for Siegfried     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That looks really good, Jb. I like the touch of having the swimming pool drawn in. It reminds me of Shane Johnson's cutaway for the movie-era Enterprise. At least you've put the pool in a well-protected area, unless Johnson did. [Big Grin]

About the torpedo launchers, somewhere a while back I saw pictures of the studio model (it had been redesignated as the USS Valkyrie and was in an exhibit). Pictures of the top of the nacelle pylon showed what looked to be torpedo tubes. Since the model was mounted upside down, that would place the torpedos on the bottom pylon (at the least).

--------------------
The philosopher's stone. Those who possess it are no longer bound by the laws of equivalent exchange in alchemy. They gain without sacrifice and create without equal exchange. We searched for it, and we found it.

Dat
Huh?
Member # 302

- posted      Profile for Dat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I thought we decided a while back that those were torpedo launchers and that the upper pylon had the same structure and also had torpedo launchers there as well, making the class have 4 forward torpedo launchers. We still haven't decided about any aft launchers yet.

And there are phaser banks on the lower half of the saucer. Pics of the model support that. And they are roughly in the same position as the phasers on the Connie, Miranda, and Soyuz classes.

[ January 04, 2002: Message edited by: Dat ]

--------------------
Is it Friday yet?

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There is a thin little protrusion at the top of both of the "T" junctions, if it is indeed a torpedoe tube that means that there are at least 2 forward facing launchers.

I always figured that the Constellation's launchers were in that rotating turret on the ventral side.

[ January 04, 2002: Message edited by: Reverend ]

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

Bernd
Guy from Old Europe
Member # 6

- posted      Profile for Bernd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think the main body should have only four decks, considering that it's twice as thick as on the Constitution. Maybe six decks could fit in, but the deck height would be less than 3m. Otherwise it's definitely a ship I'd like to serve on. [Smile]
Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Umm, all of Jackill's cutaway views tend to have amenities like swimming pools and botanical gardens - even those of the Oberth class!

The many available photographs of the Constellation model show six phaser turrets (3x2) both on the dorsal and ventral sides of the hull, just like in the Mirandas and Constitutions. Then there are five extra turrets on the dorsal side, spread evenly on the rim of the curved hull top, just inboard of the flat part. So that's 17 turrets total. Then there's that cannonlike thing glued to the bottom (plus two mechas waiting for deployment..). And yes, the standard Constitution torpedo decks seem to have been used on both pylon junctions, giving 2+2 forward tubes. They just aren't painted and lit like in the Enterprise model. Nor are the impulse crystals painted or lit.

Surely this model wasn't a kitbash of commercially available Constitution parts (even if the study model in Picard's ready room was) - it's too big for that. But it seems Jein had access to some of the molds of the Constitution.

Timo Saloniemi

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
IIRC, Timo, many of the Connie parts were molded (or molds reused) for details on the Constellation Class. But yes, the studio model of the Constellation would be far to big to be an actual kitbash.

I think the Model in Picard's ready room was made by adding some thinkness between the two halves of the saucer and using some spare parts to make up the struts and secondary hull. Four Connie nacelles were used and probably the two torp launchers from the two models needed for the nacelles.

You guys have probably figured all that out already, though, huh? [Smile]

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

Dax
Paradox
Member # 191

- posted      Profile for Dax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How do you know how big the studio miniature is, Timo? I've always been under the impression that it was built of parts from AMT movie Enterprises, mech model kit, and a small amount of custom bits.

--------------------
"I exist here."
- Sisko in "Emissary"
Dax's Ships of Star Trek

Dat
Huh?
Member # 302

- posted      Profile for Dat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The different parts of the model being different from the Connie counterparts immediately suggest it's not made from any plastic or resin model kits of the Connie Enterprise or any other model. The saucer is differently shape, not to mention the "slopes" of the saucer or the different thickness. The nacelles are also different as weill the bridge module.

--------------------
Is it Friday yet?

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps