Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » Designs, Artwork, & Creativity » The Saladin

Author Topic: The Saladin
The Red Admiral
Admiral on Deck....
Member # 602

- posted      Profile for The Red Admiral     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Working on a TOS project now. Finished the Connie, next up was some Constitution variants. This is the Saladin.

saladin01.jpg
saladin03.jpg

Also planned is the Ptolemy, the Paladin (a Saladin variant of my own design, similar to the Loknar), the Federation Dreadnought, and a TOS Miranda-type.

[EDIT: Again, please link large images. Thank you.]

[ February 25, 2002, 13:57: Message edited by: Topher ]

--------------------
"To the Enterprise and the Stargazer. Old girlfriends we'll never meet again." - Scotty

Trekmania -My Comprehensive Trek Resource

The ASDB

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Woah. Nice Work. [Eek!]

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
permission to use!

--------------------
"Are you worried that your thoughts are not quite.. clear?"

The Red Admiral
Admiral on Deck....
Member # 602

- posted      Profile for The Red Admiral     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Use? Sure, if you mean on a website somewhere. By all means, but attach the relevant links and credits...

--------------------
"To the Enterprise and the Stargazer. Old girlfriends we'll never meet again." - Scotty

The ASDB

capped
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I already have a link to your page on my frontpages, so that should be fine. I'm in the process of tracking down image credits for all the graphics ive stolen over the years, in preparation for going legit. Usually, for my starship index in the galactopedia, ill shrink the pic down to 300px, transparency the bg and then add a credit to the entry too, if its cool

--------------------

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
An adherent to non-chronological registries, I see. But lovely.

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

The Red Admiral
Admiral on Deck....
Member # 602

CaptainMike, thanks, I'll put a link to your site on my links page too...

Shik, there is method to my madness. I actually support the chronological reg theory, to a point, although it's evident that they may have been somewhat 'looser' during the TOS period. The Saladin schematic pic from the TM carried a registry of NCC-500, so mine's not beyond the realms of implausibility.

The only real problem crops up when you compare the obvious similarities between this ship, the Ptolemy and the Constitution, and then take note of the registry conflicts, for in essence, these ships all hail from the same design family.

--------------------

The ASDB

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Red Admiral:
Shik, there is method to my madness. I actually support the chronological reg theory, to a point, although it's evident that they may have been somewhat 'looser' during the TOS period. The Saladin schematic pic from the TM carried a registry of NCC-500, so mine's not beyond the realms of implausibility.

Uhh...except that it's lower than NCC-500, the reg of the prototype??? Of course you know I don't care about such things... [Roll Eyes]

-MMoM [Big Grin]

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

The Red Admiral
Admiral on Deck....
Member # 602

Without going into a reg debate, yes I sincerely observe this kind of thing stringently, you'll know this if you've visited my site.

The Saladin picture of the Manual does say NCC 500, but it doesn't say USS Saladin, so this picture doesn't necessarily portray the prototype.

Besides, TOS registries are pretty loose, and may not be strictly chronological. So NCC 479 was intended, not a mistake.

--------------------

The ASDB

capped
Member # 709

Besides, if you've read Diane Carey's 'Dreadnought!' you know the Saladin-class USS Pompeii had a registry of NCC-424, which obviously shows Saladins suffer from the Constitution-registry disease.

--------------------

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
Member # 646

quote:
The Saladin picture of the Manual does say NCC 500, but it doesn't say USS Saladin, so this picture doesn't necessarily portray the prototype.

What? That's the number of the Saladin, if you'll just glance over to the opposite page... [Roll Eyes] Besides, what else would the drawing be of but the prototype? All the ships in the book are represented by their class prototypes...

But you're most correct that the TOS ships had some rather...odd...(and similar) peculiarties.

-MMoM [Big Grin]

--------------------

The Red Admiral
Admiral on Deck....
Member # 602

Ah, there's a simple explanation to this. I no longer have the actual tech manual, it disappeared some time ago, perhaps in an old apartment. I relied only on scanned pictures taken off the net to build these ships.

I won't therefore argue that the Saladin has a reg of NCC 500, but this ship model is the USS Vostok, NCC 479.

--------------------

The ASDB

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
Member # 646

Ah, I'm sorry. I figured you had the whole book to look at, but if you don't than you couldn't have been expected to know that. Anyhow, your ship isn't any worse than the NCC-1017 Constellation or any of those other lower-than-1700 Connies.

-MMoM [Big Grin]

--------------------

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
Member # 646

Hey Red, are you going to do a Hermes? A simple modification, just remover the phaser banks from the upper saucer surface and the photorp tubes...

-MMoM [Big Grin]

--------------------

The Red Admiral
Admiral on Deck....
Member # 602

Eventually yes. I have a huge list of ships to do, including all known canon, or semi canon ship types. I've got 30-some already. But the difference between the Hermes and the Saladin is really negligible, so I expect it will just be a Saladin modification that would take me five minutes.

--------------------

The ASDB

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps