Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » Designs, Artwork, & Creativity » Image Programs (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Image Programs
Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Too easy, really: Adobe doesn't make a version for Be.

Ha ha ha ha ha!

Not that it really matters anymore. Alas, poor Be.

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Photoshop 9? Such a thing doesn't exist... Photoshop 7 is the newest version.

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

Ed / BWC
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Has anyone tried Ultimate Paint, the Paint upgrade? I'm thinking of downloading that...
IP: Logged
an'on
Member # 222

- posted      Profile for an'on     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ulead makes PhotoImpact which is now up to version 7, which is a pretty powerful program for the $. Supports most of the plugins for Adobe. I've been using PhotoImpact 5 with much successs over the years.
Bernd
Guy from Old Europe
Member # 6

- posted      Profile for Bernd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ed: The question is if you rather want a tool for modification (masking, placing objects, distortion etc.) or rather one for drawing something from scratch. The next question is if you would like to work vector-based or pixel-based. Usually pixel-based is considered easier, but you're always stuck with the quality you see on screen.

Illustrator, Corel Draw, Micrografx Designer and Macromedia Freehand are vector-based (and at least in Designer it is hard to get a decent pixel image out of it).

Photoshop, Corel Photopaint, Micrografx Picture Publisher and Paintshop Pro are pixel-based. They have similar drawing functions as the vector-based software.

There are many more pixel-based programs which don't have any decent drawing tools and which are either only an extension of Paintbrush or meant for photo retouching. I think this is not what you want. IIRC PhotoImpact has no drawing functions either.

--------------------
Bernd Schneider

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Paint Shop Pro 6 & higher does have vector-based capabilities, though. And while I'm on the subject, I'd like to mention that I long ago gave up on doing any form of curved text with it becasue I'm too stupid to figure it out correctly.

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Creating curved text with PSP7 is rather easy. You have to create the text (as a vector object). Hold your mouse over the bottom middle handle of the text and there should appear eventually (after minute movements of the mouse) a small 'A' with a curve under it. This is how you do curved text.

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'll have t'try that, T-Bird. I'm using 6.02, so it may not be the same, but I was trying it with the whole "apply to an existing vector path" shit.

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

Austin Powers
Slightly warped
Member # 250

- posted      Profile for Austin Powers     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There's also Fireworks from Macromedia to add to Bernd's list of pixel based programs. MX is the latest version.

We use it at work for creating images and especially buttons for our website. I think it's a great tool for doing just that - haven't tried it on image and photo editing though. For that we use Paint Shop Pro 3.12 and 5 as well as Photoshop 7.0

In case anyone is wondering why we still use PSP 3.12 - it's because of the great "Undo-brush" tool. I don't know why they got rid of that one. No other current program offers this handy feature... [Frown]

--------------------
Lister: Don't give me the "Star Trek" crap! It's too early in the morning.
- Red Dwarf "The Last Day"

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps