Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » Designs, Artwork, & Creativity » Medusa Class (Page 1)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Medusa Class
The Red Admiral
Admiral on Deck....
Member # 602

- posted      Profile for The Red Admiral     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The 2nd of four planned models of the DS9 kitbash freaks...

Others:

http://www.trekmania.net/art/medusa_class03.jpg

http://www.trekmania.net/art/medusa_class01.jpg

http://www.trekmania.net/art/medusa_class04.jpg

-

-

--------------------
"To the Enterprise and the Stargazer. Old girlfriends we'll never meet again." - Scotty

Trekmania -My Comprehensive Trek Resource

The ASDB

Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

- posted      Profile for Dukhat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I must admit, you make that awful kitbash look very good... [Smile]

--------------------
"A film made in 2008 isn't going to look like a TV series from 1966 if it wants to make any money. As long as the characters act the same way, and the spirit of the story remains the same then it's "real" Star Trek. Everything else is window dressing." -StCoop

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just goes to show,...it's the Modeler, not the Model!
Fantastic work! I'll use these shots as reference for my physical 2500th scale model. [Big Grin]

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You know, if it weren't for that third nacelle this ship wouldn't look half bad.
Maybe this could be a propper class after all, if you loose nacelle #3 that is.
Perhaps the tri-lobed warp field was some freaky experiment that was only used on one of these ships.
Try doing a few renders without the offending engine and see what difference it makes.
Great model as always BTW [Wink]

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

Wraith
Zen Riot Activist
Member # 779

- posted      Profile for Wraith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Damn good! [Big Grin] . Actually, I've never really minded this design but I have to say it looks a hell of a lot better in 'proper' colours than the model's paint scheme.

--------------------
"I am an almost extinct breed, an old-fashioned gentleman, which means I can be a cast-iron son-of-a-bitch when it suits me." --Jubal Harshaw

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
reverend you seem to have a bone to pick with three nacelled ships.. we know theyve happened before...
The Red Admiral
Admiral on Deck....
Member # 602

- posted      Profile for The Red Admiral     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well thanks all, I'm kind of in agreement, as I wasn't a great fan of this design until the mesh was finished, and then I thought it wasn't half bad after all. It just shows that you can't always judge a ship by merely the schematics...

I have nothing against 3 nacelled ships. This is the fourth such example we've seen, and presuming we only know the minority of the classes commissioned since the UFPs founding, one would expect that such designs are consistently used.

But I'll try doing a few renders of only the two nacelles and see how it looks...

--------------------
"To the Enterprise and the Stargazer. Old girlfriends we'll never meet again." - Scotty

Trekmania -My Comprehensive Trek Resource

The ASDB

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Great work! I don't care for the third nacelle either... in fact, I hate it, but not simply because it's a third nacelle. I don't like how far down it hangs nor do I like it's nacelle pylons. If that third nacelle were tucked in a bit tighter and given a proper mount, I don't think it would be nearly as bad.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dang Mark, you DO make that ship look good! [Cool]

I agree, if the third nacelle and pylons were removed it would look like a decent ship. In fact, it would look remarkably similar to the basic configuration of the old Reliant sketches (before they flipped the nacelles downward).

I have nothing against most three-nacelle designs either, but this one looks extremely unbalanced. In all the others, there's no great difference between the top and the bottom of the ship, and it appears that the center of mass is somewhere around the center. But with the Medusa, that third nacelle is hanging way out in the middle of nowhere.

"Oh, I wouldn't want to be a third nacelle..." -- Reg Barclay, "Inside Man" [Wink]

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

capped
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
a beautiful explanation would be if the third nacelle was a seconary hull of some type.. i think it looks kinda Oberth-ish in that case.

and.. um.. the reason it looks like the original configuration.. well you do know what 'kitbash' means, right?

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mabye replace the third nacelle with a Steamrunner deflector (use diffrent pylons though!) [Eek!]

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

capped
Member # 709

i kinda appreciate the pylons. its an idea ive liked ever since i saw the Akula-class from SotSFv2
AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybe a little theory of mine might fit when looking at one of those pics up above.

Maybe this medusa only really had two nacelles (a copy for the bottom nacelle on top), as a quick repair to bring it home again (during that scene - if she was there)... the pair of nacelles were brought along and slotted in/gamma welded on top - as a makeshift repair.

Andrew

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Dax
Paradox
Member # 191

- posted      Profile for Dax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think it would've been cool if, instead of the third nacelle, the top two were mirrored on the bottom half. That way it would be the Excelsior equivalent of the Constellation-class.

--------------------
"I exist here."
- Sisko in "Emissary"
Dax's Ships of Star Trek

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes! And then we could savage it for months and call it unoriginal! Name it the Constellsior! Demand the producers' heads on duranium platters!

(Sorry, I'm going back to uni tomorrow and need to get some facetiousness out of my system.)

--------------------
"I was surprised by the matter-of-factness of Kafka's narration, and the subtle humor present as a result." (Sizer 2005)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps