Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » Designs, Artwork, & Creativity » New Front Door (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: New Front Door
Guardian 2000
Member # 743

- posted      Profile for Guardian 2000     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just made a new frontdoor for my site, and wanted opinions from people who actually have a clue about aesthetics. :-)

http://ocean.otr.usm.edu/~randers2/STSWhi.html

--------------------
. . . ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam.

G2k's ST v. SW Tech Assessment

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[Roll Eyes]

Darkie, keep the Wars v Trek stuff off Flare, okay?

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Mucus
Member # 24

- posted      Profile for Mucus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Gee, even the logo is unbiased.
Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, h's not pitching the idea, just asking opinions for the index page....

Looks okay to me, except you have 7 BR tags there making it a wee bit low on the page, making both IE and NS have to scroll to see the entire thing, remove three of them...

For those of us that live in areas without any highspeed internet access, and crappy phone lines, it takes awhile for the image to load, you may want to see if you can compress it anymore, to take it easy on us poor saps...

Otherwise I like it...

--------------------
"You are a terrible human, Ritten." Magnus
"Urgh, you are a sick sick person..." Austin Powers
A leek too, pretty much a negi.....

Guardian 2000
Member # 743

- posted      Profile for Guardian 2000     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ritten:
Well, h's not pitching the idea, just asking opinions for the index page....

Thank you.

quote:
Looks okay to me, except you have 7 BR tags there making it a wee bit low on the page, making both IE and NS have to scroll to see the entire thing, remove three of them...
Hmmm . . . I'm guessing your res is 800 x 600? I ended up rigging it to be dead-center on a full screen for my 1024 x 768. Sorry, I'll take care of that.

quote:
For those of us that live in areas without any highspeed internet access, and crappy phone lines, it takes awhile for the image to load, you may want to see if you can compress it anymore, to take it easy on us poor saps...

Otherwise I like it...

Thanks! I'll see if I can compress it further without losing too much quality, but even as it stands now the dark blue clouds behind the circle are kinda blobby.

--------------------

THOR
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The content is nice, I'm still wading through it. But I want to say that I really like your �ber nice gold-looking commbadge image on your front page! Man; nice!
IP: Logged
Guardian 2000
Member # 743

quote:
Originally posted by THOR:
The content is nice, I'm still wading through it. But I want to say that I really like your �ber nice gold-looking commbadge image on your front page! Man; nice!

Thanks!!

I made that ages ago, and finally saw some way to put it to good use. From the looks of your site, though, you could teach me a thing or five.

:-)

--------------------

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Even if he did nick the idea off me. 8)

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Guardian 2000
Member # 743

quote:
Originally posted by Vogon Poet:
Even if he did nick the idea off me. 8)

[Frown] I didn't!

It was at least '99 when I created the combadge image (actually sometime prior, but I finally converted all of my nifty .BMP creations to .JPG back in '99). The file was moved into its current directory in 2001 (It's below and to the left of the 1701 crashing into my hometown):

http://ocean.otr.usm.edu/~randers2/A-Onias2cap.jpg

I noticed a couple of days after making my front door that your website used a similar idea when the symbols were rolled over. I e-mailed you to see if it bugged you, but I haven't heard from you. [Frown]

I'm sorry. Want me to change it? You still get first dibs since yours was online first, I think.

--------------------

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What is the standard res people use... From most of the systems I've worked on it has been 800x600....
Guardian 2000
Member # 743

I use 1024x768, but I downsized it to conserve limited server space.

--------------------

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

I didn't notice the fade out before, at the bottom. I like it. Plus more centered to us lower res people...

--------------------
"You are a terrible human, Ritten." Magnus
"Urgh, you are a sick sick person..." Austin Powers
A leek too, pretty much a negi.....

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
S'OK Scott, I was just winding you up. I hadn't gotten around to responding to your email is all. 8)

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Guardian 2000
Member # 743

You're an evil, evil man. [Big Grin]

--------------------

Austin Powers
Slightly warped
Member # 250

- posted      Profile for Austin Powers     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think the first question should not just be about the resolution but the screen size. (Ok, both depend on one another but anyway.)

Guardian, you can use these figures as standard:

15'' Monitor: optimal res 800x600
17'' Monitor: optimal res 1024x768
19'' Monitor: optimal res 1280x1024
21'' Monitor: optimal res 1600x1200

Try making the layout of the page scaleable so that it will look (almost) the same on any resolution. Use various tables to achieve the effect.

Outer table width 100%. Inner table(s) with fixed/variable width/height as you desire. Feel free to PM me for details.

--------------------
Lister: Don't give me the "Star Trek" crap! It's too early in the morning.
- Red Dwarf "The Last Day"

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps