Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » Designs, Artwork, & Creativity » Bandai announces 1/850 EntA kit! (Page 3)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Bandai announces 1/850 EntA kit!
Dax
Paradox
Member # 191

- posted      Profile for Dax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by EdipisReks:
my problem with reusing the BOP explosion in Generations was that it just seemed like what it was: a tacked on effect that came from something else and looks it. tacky.

I'm not sure I agree with that. I don't think someone who had never seen TUC would consider for a second that it was stock footage. IMO it was bad in that the death scene for the enemy vessel was identical for two movies in a row -- blatant and quite simply unacceptable.

--------------------
"I exist here."
- Sisko in "Emissary"
Dax's Ships of Star Trek

Austin Powers
Slightly warped
Member # 250

- posted      Profile for Austin Powers     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My thoughts exactly.

And I too remember hearing some VFX guy talk about their problems in creating realistic CGI explosions. He said that it was just not technologically possible today to do realistic explosions in CGI. And even if it were possible, the cost would be much higher than blowing up a model - whatever the amount of detail.

And talking about the DS9 battle scenes: The exploding Vorchas in all the earlier episodes were models, not CGI, remember? Even the ones being destroyed by the Jem'Hadar suicide attacks in...don't recall the epsiode name.

--------------------
Lister: Don't give me the "Star Trek" crap! It's too early in the morning.
- Red Dwarf "The Last Day"

Dax
Paradox
Member # 191

- posted      Profile for Dax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Austin Powers:
And talking about the DS9 battle scenes: The exploding Vorchas in all the earlier episodes were models, not CGI, remember? Even the ones being destroyed by the Jem'Hadar suicide attacks in...don't recall the epsiode name.

"Tears of the Prophets", 6th season final. Really, are you sure they were physical models? I was under the impression that the entire battle was CG.

--------------------
"I exist here."
- Sisko in "Emissary"
Dax's Ships of Star Trek

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As i recall the reason the hulls splintered so well was cuz the models they were blowing up were cheap plastic, the Playmates Light and Sound Vor'cha toy.
Dax
Paradox
Member # 191

So they had CG Jemmy bugs ramming into Playmates Vor'chas? Interesting. I knew they used Playmates ships in "WotW" but I hadn't heard that for "TotP".

--------------------
"I exist here."
- Sisko in "Emissary"
Dax's Ships of Star Trek

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Exploding Klingons, Puffs of atmosphere... how do you see these things... DVD!?!

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Austin Powers
Slightly warped
Member # 250

- posted      Profile for Austin Powers     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Don't know, can't see that either. I think the "puff" of atmosphere in "Q Who" was just the dust kicked up when the Borg pulled out that section of the saucer.

And yes, TOTP it was. Had forgotten the name. Yes, they did use the Playmates models. Some VFX guy said so in an interview for Star Trek Monthly, a UK Trek magazine. He said they were cheap and made for a great effect. I think we can agree to that... [Smile]

--------------------

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Uh, the atmosphere (It's just smoke, really) can clearly be seen leaking out as the section of hull is pulled clear. I have no eagle eyes! Also, the flying Klingon is very obvious. (Though, to be fair, I have no proof that it actually was intended to be a Klingon, but it looks very much like a person.)
Dax
Paradox
Member # 191

Thanks for the info, Austin. I'm gonna have to watch it again sometime and take a closer look. The interview wasn't with David Stipes was it? I think he was the VFX Supervisor on that episode.

--------------------
"I exist here."
- Sisko in "Emissary"
Dax's Ships of Star Trek

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I liked how the bussard collectors light went out... well flickered out. Should it have flickered out or just have 'lost radiance'? Why causes the 'light' in a bussard collector anyway?

I remembered when I first saw that shot... I gasped! It was pretty cool. DS9 continually had Motion-picture standard effects.

Andrew

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Austin Powers
Slightly warped
Member # 250

@Dax: I'm not sure if it was David Stipes but it is a possibility. I will have to look it up which means sifting through all of my back-issues of Star Trek Monthly...this could take some time.

--------------------

Dax
Paradox
Member # 191

Austin, don't worry about it, it's not that important. I was just thinking that if I mentioned Stipes' name it might jog your memory.

--------------------
"I exist here."
- Sisko in "Emissary"
Dax's Ships of Star Trek

Masao
doesn't like you either
Member # 232

- posted      Profile for Masao     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Save your pennies, kids! According to HobbyLink Japan (via Starship Modeler), the price of the Bandai Enterprise will be 6500 yen, or $54 at a rate of 120 y/d.

--------------------
When you're in the Sol system, come visit the Starfleet Museum

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps