Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » Designs, Artwork, & Creativity » Bandai announces 1/850 EntA kit! (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Bandai announces 1/850 EntA kit!
Dax
Paradox
Member # 191

- posted      Profile for Dax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That list would be a lot more useful if it showed the length of the ship/model as well as the scale. Not everyone agrees on Trek ship lengths. Defiant, anyone?.

--------------------
"I exist here."
- Sisko in "Emissary"
Dax's Ships of Star Trek

Austin Powers
Slightly warped
Member # 250

- posted      Profile for Austin Powers     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh yes, how long is the Defiant anyway? ***puts on his most innocent face and opens the gates of hell*** [Razz]

--------------------
Lister: Don't give me the "Star Trek" crap! It's too early in the morning.
- Red Dwarf "The Last Day"

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd say it was long enough [Wink]

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

Dax
Paradox
Member # 191

- posted      Profile for Dax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually, I checked the scale listed for the AMT Defiant on Starship Modeler's list and it's correct. I'll say nothing more, except that their entry for the Klingon BoP is incorrect. The full size AMT KBoP is in reality the same scale as the AMT Defiant. I'm assuming it's more than a coincidence.

--------------------
"I exist here."
- Sisko in "Emissary"
Dax's Ships of Star Trek

Austin Powers
Slightly warped
Member # 250

- posted      Profile for Austin Powers     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's an evil plot, engineered by the Pah-Wraiths, no doubt! [Wink]

--------------------

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
yes, quite evil, BOP sizes. i think modelers have more on their minds though.
Mikey T
Driven
Member # 144

- posted      Profile for Mikey T     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Strange... well I guess it's easier to show scale and detail when blowing up model kits. Wait... damn coffee got to me again.

--------------------
"It speaks to some basic human needs: that there is a tomorrow, it's not all going to be over with a big splash and a bomb, that the human race is improving, that we have things to be proud of as humans."
-Gene Roddenberry about Star Trek

Austin Powers
Slightly warped
Member # 250

But you are right.

By the way, have we ever seen a really good CGI explosion? Not only on Star Trek I mean. I don't recall one in all the films and tv-series I have seen.

As great as CGI can be sometimes, when it comes to explosions there's still nothing better then blowing up stuff for real.
And it's more fun too... [Wink]

--------------------

Dax
Paradox
Member # 191

quote:
Originally posted by Austin Powers:
By the way, have we ever seen a really good CGI explosion? Not only on Star Trek I mean. I don't recall one in all the films and tv-series I have seen.

The destruction of the Defiant was impressive IMO.

--------------------
"I exist here."
- Sisko in "Emissary"
Dax's Ships of Star Trek

Austin Powers
Slightly warped
Member # 250

Yes, it was not too bad, if you compare it to other CGI explosions.

But in order to really judge CGI you should compare it to something real like the BOP-Explosion in TUC/reused in Generations.

At the moment there is no way for CGI to match something like that.

--------------------

Dax
Paradox
Member # 191

I agree TUC BoP explosion was excellent but I wasn't impressed that they reused it in Generations. And although most real/physical ship explosions were good, there was a fair share of crappy ones too.

--------------------
"I exist here."
- Sisko in "Emissary"
Dax's Ships of Star Trek

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
with both mediums, ship explosion depend on how much effort is put into them.

you could model a great CGI explosion, with all sorts of pieces individually modeled and textured on well mapped courses, but it might be so time consuming as to take your whole budget

physical model explosions are only as good as the size and detail of the model and the skill put into them. the BOP in TUC splintered and flew apart well, probably because the individual explosives were well placed and well timed. this isnt always the case, but again setting that up and doing it until you get it right could eat up your whole creative budget.

EdipisReks
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
my problem with reusing the BOP explosion in Generations was that it just seemed like what it was: a tacked on effect that came from something else and looks it. tacky.
IP: Logged
AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't think they have mastered CGI explosions. Many interviews with effects people say that they still film 'real fire and explosions' and digitally incorporate them into the final product.

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't think computer generated explosions and other signs of damage are inherently worse than their physical counterparts. What's important, I think, is the attention to detail. Consider the death of the Enterprise. Lots of detail, even though we never really get to see much of the interior of the ship as it's blowing up. We even get to see a tiny Klingon blasted out of the bridge! But compare that to the poor Vor'cha being lovingly dismembered in...oh, one of those war episodes. You can just imagine the Klingons in the front portion going "Ok, so we've got about a fourth of our ship left, but it's the fourth with the big cannon. Bonus!" Well, something like that.

Having said that, my favorite damage effect ever is probably seeing the Borg carve up the Enterprise in "Q Who". Detailed down to the quickly dispersing puff of escaped atmosphere!

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps