Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » Designs, Artwork, & Creativity » Web pages and shite (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Web pages and shite
AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Um, I've been thinking with my new computer I might make a few web-sites. I know rudimentary html - but would rather use one of those 'drag/drop' page makers... what is a good one?

Bascially I want to do two sites. 1. Just putting on-line all the starship pictures I have collected over the last five years on the 'net.

2. I thought I might use my new scanner to scan in all the doodles and drawings and diagrams and sketches of ships that I have drawn in numerous books over the years. some are no more than rough sketches... but I know there would be a few of you out there that would appreciate it. Plus someone might like what they see and do a 3d version of it or something!?!

just an aside - does anyone have a good tutorial page for a program like lightwave?

Andrew

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Dat
Huh?
Member # 302

- posted      Profile for Dat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I use just MS Frontpage Express as I do very simple stuff, when I ever do work on my webpages. And you should give credit for those pics you've collected. If you forgot who you got them from, you should put up a notice that credit will be given as soon as you find out who to give it to. Provide an email address so that you can be contacted by the rightful "owners" of the pics and can credit them. And I would not suggest putting up all the pics you have from the last 5 years as no doubt you've got hundreds... maybe thousands of them. If you want to eventually get them all posted at one time or another, rotate them every time you update and notify your viewers when you update and what you've updated.

--------------------
Is it Friday yet?

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would stay far away from anything with the Front Page label on it. [Wink] I've heard so many stories about bugs and invalid HTML code produced by that program, it's not funny. The thing is, that most of the bugs in FP's code are designed to plug holes in Internet Explorer's page-rendering process! And I know firsthand, too -- because I very rarely use IE to browse the web.

Given that this is just a starter site for you, I'd suggest trying something like Macromedia HomeSite. I've never used it myself, but I've heard some good things about it and I've used Macromedia Dreamweaver -- which I *know* is a good program, so I would speculate that Macromedia's HomeSite program would be reasonably good.

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually, don't totally knock FP. It's a great way to learn basic page creation - then you learn the actual code while going in to manually fix all the bloody errors FP makes.

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
at least its not Netscape. Composer has more bugs than rotting fruit!
Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The latest FrontPage is better, I've heard. But it's still no good HTML. And whatever you do, DON'T USE WORD!! I'm not a big fan of WYSIWYG HTML editors. I use HomeSite myself. You basically write your own HTML, but there are enough tools and wizards to do the tricky and repetitive work for you.

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
About the pictures... I know most of the web-sites that I got them from.

Also, why do you have to credit anyone - really... cause it's not their product - they might have scanned or captured the thing... but it's not as if they even have the rights to it.

And what would be the point of not putting up ALL the pictures - that is what I want to do. It'll be a place where - say if here youo want to discuss a ship, you'll have lots and lots of versions of the to choose to look at.

Andrew

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Dax
Paradox
Member # 191

- posted      Profile for Dax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Andrew, if you don't want to credit people for their scans, then you should try doing all the scans yourself. Scanning may be easy but the entire process can also be quite time consuming. Especially when you take into account cleaning up and editing of scanned images.

--------------------
"I exist here."
- Sisko in "Emissary"
Dax's Ships of Star Trek

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
/me still uses trusty ol' Notepad for all things HTML, PHP, and Javascript. Works better than any frontend utility, and there's something to be said for doing things manually.

--------------------
".mirrorS arE morE fuN thaN televisioN" - TEH PNIK FLAMIGNO

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree with the Notepad/code yourself people. Cleaner code makes for a better site, as does a proper layout....

--------------------
"You are a terrible human, Ritten." Magnus
"Urgh, you are a sick sick person..." Austin Powers
A leek too, pretty much a negi.....

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Crediting people for their scans is the Polite Thing to do. Imagine if someone else put up all your pictures without even mentioning you or your site.

And for manual coding, a nice editor might be Scintilla. It has colorcoding for all major languages (including HTML, JavaScript and PHP, but also Java, C(++)) and has a good search/replace system. I find colorcoding very helpful. HomeSite has it too, and it really makes your code easier to read.

--------------------

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm no expert, but I use Dreamweaver for all my web stuff, including all the web jobs I've done. It's always worked pretty well, though I'm quite sure the code could be cleaner if it was being done by someone who knew what they were doing. My designs tend to be somewhat complicated, though, at least to me, and if I were to try and do it straight, I'd never get it.
Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

Dreamweaver's code is pretty good

--------------------

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When I last rebuilt my PC, I didn't even bother to reinstall FP. Maybe if I'd had 2000 on disk, but I only had 98. So right now I'm using a mixture of Dreamweaver and Notepad.

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Fructose
Member # 309

- posted      Profile for Fructose     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I use Notetab Light. Great freeware text editor. Has librarys for easier HTML coding. I'd recomend it to anyone who uses Notepad. That's how I build all my pages.

--------------------
It doesn't matter if you don't know what you're doing as long as you look good doing it.

www.ericksmodels.com

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps