Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » General Sci-Fi » $$ Iron Man $$ (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: $$ Iron Man $$
Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Has anyone else seen this yet? I rather enjoyed it, to the point of thinking this might be the best superhero movie yet, IMO. I didn't know about the Nick Fury bit at the end until after I saw it, thank god for YouTube. [Big Grin]

Supposedly the cast is signed for two more movies, meaning War Machine will be making an appearance. Looking forward to it.

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Loved it. Good to see a relatively mature film with a mature cast. Downey is superbly cast in a superhero film reamarkably absent of superhero hallmarks, such as pithy dialogue and epic super battles. The climactic battle was similarly small-scale, and I disagree with the criticism that a fully-powered Iron Man should have faced the Iron Monger in a gigantic fight.

This movie has trilogy all over it and I guess leaks into Marvel's effort to portray a unified movie universe on screen. The following parts promise a delving into Tony's alcoholism (which should be unique amongst superhero films) and his eventual teamup with Rhodes as War Machine. I don't know what's up with immediately "outing" Stark as Iron Man, tossing aside the character's initial cover as his own bodyguard as in the comics. Stark revealed himself as Iron Man in the comics much later. As for Fury, I doubt this cameo has any real bearing on the trilogy, though it'd really confuse some people.

I do hope the remaining parts will be shot and released back to back. I hate waiting 2-3 years between good franchise installments, dammit!

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The second part of the trilogy is due in 2010, according to Wikipedia. It'd be nice if the third part was released in 2011 or even later in the year of 2010.

I've also read that Downey has a cameo as Stark in the upcoming Hulk movie as well.

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

Hobbes
 Homicidal Psycho Jungle Cat 
Member # 138

- posted      Profile for Hobbes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I saw this movie Saturday night. We thought it was awesome. A little predictable, like I knew he would have to rely on his original power unit for some reason. I missed the Nick Fury scene, I heard about Samuel L Jackson cameo but didn't know it was after the credits. I figured there might be something after the first part of the end credits before the regular scrolling credits.

--------------------
I'm slightly annoyed at Hobbes' rather rude decision to be much more attractive than me though. That's just rude. - PsyLiam, Oct 27, 2005.

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It looks like Marvel are looking to redefine the concept of a movie franchise and that Nick Fury scene looks like a huge foreshadowing of things to come. Then there's the fact that Downey has a cameo in the new Hulk movie. I'm glad Marvel are the ones doing this sort of cross pollination rather than DC. I'd really hate to see Nolan's Batman meet Singer's Superman on the silver screen. There something about DC characters that makes them very hard to adapt to cinema and even harder to incorporate them with each other.
I suppose with Marvel, having Stan Lee at the centre of most of it for so long helped keep the various titles reasonably cohesive. The DC characters just got thrown together.

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I dunno... Personally, I'm not a fan of mixing major superhero archetypes, as it loses credibility. I *like* that folks like Batman and Iron Man have rely on gadgets to save the day versus villains also relying on technology, however far-fetched it may be. I don''t want to see the hyper-techy Iron Man mix it up with a Viking god and his magic hammer. I want to see him deal with someone like the Mandarin and his alien tech rings, with War Machine at his side.

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

WizArtist II
"How can you have a yellow alert in Spacedock? "
Member # 1425

- posted      Profile for WizArtist II     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I still want a revival of Rom: Spaceknight.

Yes...I am just that much of a geek.

--------------------
There are 10 types of people in the world...those that understand Binary and those that don't.

Teh PW
Self Impossed Exile (This Space for rent)
Member # 1203

- posted      Profile for Teh PW         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow, havent read that in decades (agreed, it's good potential as a stand alone story)

what about The Micronauts (FFFFFOOOOOOOOORRRRRCCCCEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE COOOOMMMMMMANNNDDERRRRRRR!)

--------------------
*shrug* Ready, shoot, aim.

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mark Nguyen:
I dunno... Personally, I'm not a fan of mixing major superhero archetypes, as it loses credibility. I *like* that folks like Batman and Iron Man have rely on gadgets to save the day versus villains also relying on technology, however far-fetched it may be. I don''t want to see the hyper-techy Iron Man mix it up with a Viking god and his magic hammer. I want to see him deal with someone like the Mandarin and his alien tech rings, with War Machine at his side.

Mark

Like I said, if anyone is going to do it, better that it be Marvel than DC. The Marvel universe lends itself more to group stories much more than the DC characters, the X-Men being a prime example and the main reason (mutants) it's even plausible.

--------------------

Saltah'na
Chinese Canadian, or 75% Commie Bastard.
Member # 33

- posted      Profile for Saltah'na     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Great movie. Nuff said.

--------------------
"And slowly, you come to realize, it's all as it should be, you can only do so much. If you're game enough, you could place your trust in me. For the love of life, there's a tradeoff, we could lose it all but we'll go down fighting...." - David Sylvian
FreeSpace 2, the greatest space sim of all time, now remastered!

Peregrinus
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 504

- posted      Profile for Peregrinus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by WizArtist II:
I still want a revival of Rom: Spaceknight.

Yes...I am just that much of a geek.

I second that! I still have every issue, including the "Spaceknights" sequel miniseries. Might be tricky, since Mattel owns the design, and not Marvel. *grump*

--Jonah

--------------------
"That's what I like about these high school girls, I keep getting older, they stay the same age."

--David "Woody" Wooderson, Dazed and Confused

WizArtist II
Member # 1425

- posted      Profile for WizArtist II     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
To further my image as an "Ultra-Geek", I too have all the issues, even so far as appearances in other issues as I become aware of them. I am holding out hope for a revival with the Galadorians and Spaceknights appearing in the "Annihilation: Conquest" theme Marvel is running. There have been numerous appearances in this storyline and I REALLY hope they don't just off the whole group in the end.

Have you seen THIS site?

--------------------
There are 10 types of people in the world...those that understand Binary and those that don't.

Peregrinus
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 504

- posted      Profile for Peregrinus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You have the issue of the Incredible Hulk where Rick Jones and Marlo get married -- and Rom and Brandy show up? [Smile]

--Jonah

--------------------
"That's what I like about these high school girls, I keep getting older, they stay the same age."

--David "Woody" Wooderson, Dazed and Confused

WizArtist II
Member # 1425

That one I have not found yet. Do you have the issue number? (Pwease oh pwease!)

--------------------

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

I suddenly feel I'm not quite geeky enough for this crowd. I'm off to watch competitive sports!

--------------------

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps