Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » General Sci-Fi » $$ Iron Man $$ (Page 3)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: $$ Iron Man $$
Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I went to see it last weekend and was blown away. Downey was perfect for Stark. They even managed to make the development of the armor fairly believable and interesting.

"Come on... you know this isn't the wierdest thing you've caught me doing".

"If you spray me again when I'm not actually on fire, I swear I'm donating you to a city college."

Best two lines.

From what I've read, Marvel has, in the past, had a policy against crossing over characters from various titles. Apparently that's changed if Stark will be in Hulk. I thought I'd read that Reed Richards was going to show up somewhere... IMDB says that in an early draft, it was revealed that Stark built Dr. Octavius' arms seen in Spidey 2. I thought that was neat...

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think it was more a studio decision not to cross-over characters: someone cast in cameo might not be available years later to reprise a role in a feature (obviously not a big concern if the movie is a hit or if the actors are signed into multiple movie contracts, but I doubt a daredevil/Spider-Man team up is likely).

Though there is that line about Dr. strange in Spidey 2, so it's not completely isolated.
OTOH, if New York were really so chock full of superhumans, they'd run into each other on a daily basis...hell, the Avengers would probably have started out as a superhuman bowling league or something.

Mutants would have a whole online community (MySpace for the geniticly altered).

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So...Captain America's shield seems to be on Tony's workbbench in one scene as a gag the production crew threw in.
http://toysrevil.blogspot.com/2008/05/captain-americas-shield-seen-in-iron.html

http://www.scifi.com/scifiwire/index.php?category=0&id=54651

You know....I'm suprised no one is talking about the more obvious gag in Iron Man: one of The Mandarin's rings on the terrorist leader (the one going on about conquoring te world) and how the terrorist cell was called "The Ten Rings".

In the comics, the Mandarin uses trusted henchmen to do his bidding- each employing one of the Mandarin's power-rings (which each have a diffrent power). If the henchman gets killed (or defeated) the ring teleports back to the Mandarin (who, it seems can "see" through the rings).

I doubt it's anything more than a "if you know" kinda thing, but still, the guy is Iron Man's arch nemesis.

Just like how Happy Hogan is Tony's bodyguard (the guy racing Tony across the desert)- he's fated to marry Pepper, spwan some kids and -years later- get killed.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

- posted      Profile for Mars Needs Women     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I saw Iron Man roughly two weeks ago and it returned my faith in Superhero movies after the incoherent mess that was Spiderman 3.

I'm also excited about the Incredible Hulk and this attempt to unify the movies under a single universe.
Also I hear there's an idea for a Justice League movie, but it seems to be in production hell.

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Let's hope it stays there where it belongs.

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

- posted      Profile for Mars Needs Women     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Indeed...
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

It was tried as a TV movie which, thankfully, never aired.
You can still find bootlegs of it at various cons though....it's actually worse than the unreleased Fantastic Four movie from the '90's.

WizArtist II
"How can you have a yellow alert in Spacedock? "
Member # 1425

- posted      Profile for WizArtist II     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just saw Iron Man last night and I have to say that it is excellent. Robert Downey Jr. was PERFECT as Tony Starks. The rest of the cast seemed to fit equally well with their roles. There was only one main scene where I thought the FX were off, when Pepper is running from the baddie. I don't know if it was the lighting or what, but it just screamed "Blue Screen". Otherwise, the FX seemed to blend quite well and didn't dominate the movie the way it might have (ala Transformers). Heck, I'd even pay FULL price to see it again. (which is probably the highest compliment I can give a movie nowadays)

--------------------
There are 10 types of people in the world...those that understand Binary and those that don't.

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

quote:
Originally posted by Aban Rune:

"Come on... you know this isn't the wierdest thing you've caught me doing".

"If you spray me again when I'm not actually on fire, I swear I'm donating you to a city college."

Best two lines.

Rhodey: You're three hours late.
Tony: " I was doing a piece for Vanity Fair..."
Screamin' funny.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

quote:
Originally posted by WizArtist II:
I still want a revival of Rom: Spaceknight.

Yes...I am just that much of a geek.

HOLY SHIT.
I'd buy this in second....amazing.

oh my.

WizArtist II
Member # 1425

- posted      Profile for WizArtist II     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's really a shame that I wasn't born RICH instead of so incredibly GOOD LOOKING.

To further my geekdom, I'm actually in the process of creating an issue by issue synopsis of the entire Rom series listing all the pertinent 'first appearance' and 'death of' information.

Yeah....I really need to get a life.

--------------------
There are 10 types of people in the world...those that understand Binary and those that don't.

Hobbes
 Homicidal Psycho Jungle Cat 
Member # 138

- posted      Profile for Hobbes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Flare the comic ... followed by Flare the movie. Not that I've been compared to an actor, like ... "you know you look like..." no never.

--------------------
I'm slightly annoyed at Hobbes' rather rude decision to be much more attractive than me though. That's just rude. - PsyLiam, Oct 27, 2005.

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

Followed by Flare: the toilet paper and Flare: the flamethrower.

I'd forgotten how many Marvel characters asses Rom kicked in that 75 issue run.
Always nice to see the X-Men go down.
The second Hybrid story was the first time Rogue thought of turning hero...a big character development for a relativly obscure book.

Hey Wiz- check out Doctor Strange (volume 2) to see Dormammu call forth all of marvel's top evil sorcerers for a meeting- there's a Dire Wraith queen in there- years after Rom supposedly sent them all (and Wraithworld) to Limbo.

There's a four parter Avengers story wherein Hercules, the BLack Knight and Wasp get trapped in Limbo by Kang and have to kill hundreds of Wraiths to survive...somewhere in the 280's I think.
It gives a pretty clear picture of what the Limbo dimension is and how it is the worst prison ever- nothing stays dead there, there's nothing to do and no escape....sucks to be a Dire Wraith. [Wink]
Keeping with the theme, here's a Dire Wraith figure that, sadly, was cancelled prior to production.
Still no Rick Jones figure either. [Roll Eyes]

[ June 28, 2008, 05:27 AM: Message edited by: Jason Abbadon ]

WizArtist II
Member # 1425

Was that the "Volxx" issue? I haven't found that one yet, but if what I 'heard on the internet'...(insert idiot remark here) is true, Volxx could still shapeshift, but couldn't use sorcery since the fount of the Dire Wraith power was Wraithworld on which Rom started his own little 'Green Movement' before sending it to Limbo.

As far as who Rom matched up with just off the top of my head:

• The X-men
  • The Brotherhood of Evil Mutants
  • Power Man & Iron Fist
  • The Incredible Hulk (reduced his gamma radiation levels enough to allow the Bruce Banner persona to gain control)
  • Ego - The Living Planet
  • Galactus (was able to bargain with him to save Galador becoming a temporary Herald)
  • Jack of Hearts
  • Powerhouse (drained him of power)
  • The Thing (who was entranced by the Dire Wraiths. Rom used his Neutralizer and temporarily reverted him back to human form)
  • Gladiator (basicly stood toe to toe with him in battle)
  • The Metal Master

Most encounters with the Marvel Heroes started as misunderstandings and Rom typically held back while trying to explain his mission to them as they went all out against him. Yeah the Rogue thing to me was the turning point for her because she had never known someone so decent and noble and that sent her away from the dark side.

Jason, when I get my little document done, I'll let you know and send it to you. Its a simple WordDoc at this point.

-

--------------------

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ok, after getting that colouring gig and doing my homework I thought I had made myself reasonable knowledgeable in comic book lore...but nothing of the last two posts made any sense to me and you know what? I'm actually kinda relived.

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps