Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » General Sci-Fi » $$ BSG 4x13 "Sometimes A Great Notion" $$ (Page 1)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: $$ BSG 4x13 "Sometimes A Great Notion" $$
Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So! Whoever correctly pegged Ellen Tigh as Cylon #5, take a bow.

So what does this mean? They were reborn after 2000 some odd years? Why so long?

And wtf is up with Starbuck? Who made her a new ship and a new Starbuck?

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm mainly pleased that the fifth is not Starbuck. Because that was too obvious.

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

B.J.
Space Cadet
Member # 858

- posted      Profile for B.J.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
HOLY. CRAP.

Dee! That came out of left field. (Or out the left temple.) I can see a lot of people in the fleet sinking into despair like that, but Dee?

I know this one answered a lot of questions, but I'm even more confused.

quote:
Originally posted by Fabrux:
So! Whoever correctly pegged Ellen Tigh as Cylon #5, take a bow.

I think I've had just about everyone on or off my list at some point. Unfortunately, that means I didn't have a clue.
quote:
Originally posted by Fabrux:
So what does this mean? They were reborn after 2000 some odd years? Why so long?

I don't think they were necessarily reborn after 2000 years. They could have been reborn almost immediately. The real question is why they didn't remember until now.
Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

- posted      Profile for Mars Needs Women     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So the 13th tribe were all cylons. Did that mean they killed themselves in a civil war? If so, was it fought between centurions and skin jobs?
Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybe what's happening here is that everyone is a "Cylon"....

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Crazy idea of today: What if the Twelve Cylons are (reincarnations of) the Lords of Kobol? They would certainly be immortal with their regeneration technology.

It's hard to explain why or how it happened, but I'm getting the impression that maybe the eventually it will turn out the Cylons created the humans, instead of the other way around.

However it goes, it seems Cylon and humans are far less different from eachother than either side believed.

Now, there's one mystery left: what on Earth (!) was that with Kara? Was she 'regenerated'? Or are the Cylons up to something by planting this thing (without a recognizable face!) on Earth?

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

- posted      Profile for Dukhat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bows.

(Although I correctly predicted Ellen, I don't know yet if I got my theory right about what happened to Earth.

Anyway, here's what I think is going on,and again I could be completely wrong.

WHAT THE COLONISTS BELIEVE:

Kobol was the birthplace of humanity. From Kobol, colonists set out and formed the 12 colonies, plus an extra 13th colony where no one knows the location. The 12 colonies of Humanity create the Cylons. The Cylons revolt, start a war, and then leave the colonies, only to evolve into skinjobs and later return to destroy humanity.

WHAT REALLY HAPPENED:

Earth was the birthplace of humanity. Humanity creates the Cylons. The Cylons revolt, start a war, and then humanity leaves Earth to the Cylons, settling on Kobol. The Cylons evolve into skinjobs. Humanity later returns and destroys Cylon-dominated Earth. From Kobol, humanity founds the 12 colonies, and somewhere along the way, the true knowledge of Earth is forgotten, and a belief arises that Earth is in fact another colony when it isn't. The 12 colonies of Humanity then create the Cylons. See above for the rest of the story).

So basically everything happens the same, but in reverse.

The Final Five Cylons are actually the final five Earth-descended Cylons, reborn in whatever manner two thousand years later in the 12 colonies.

--------------------
"A film made in 2008 isn't going to look like a TV series from 1966 if it wants to make any money. As long as the characters act the same way, and the spirit of the story remains the same then it's "real" Star Trek. Everything else is window dressing." -StCoop

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've been thinking along very similar lines. However, I'm not sure how to integrate the legend about humans and "the gods" living together on Kobol.

Y'know what the whole thing with Kara might explain? Baltar. Conceivably, he really was killed by that nuclear shockwave in the miniseries... and replaced by —well, whoever these higher powers are— to continue his work. And have that work guided by Head Six, like Kara was guided into the storm by Head Leoben?

Hmm. The pieces are starting to fit together, but I dunno exactly how or why.

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov

Johnny
Member # 878

- posted      Profile for Johnny     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The looping of events certainly seems to be what's implied again here. The Cylons create humans and are destroyed by their creations and the humans create Cylons who in turn do the same. I suppose we always knew it would come to that.

I'm more intrigued by Kara's resurrection, though. Up until now I thought they might be playing a double bluff and she really would be the final fifth, but who knows what the explanation is now? A CavilCylon trick maybe, but why?

Anyway, fanastic episode. I welled up when Dee died, but I think they did the right thing. In that situation someone is going to decide enough is enough and it had to be a main character for it to have an impact.

There's a really good interview with RDM and others about the episode here.

--------------------
deviantArt page | Online portfolio

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I won't claim credit for marking Ellen as a skinjob since I thought she was a more aged Number-6.
The real question for me is, how did what we're assuming for now is the "original" Kara and her Viper get to Earth from that gas giant and again, assuming that corpse is her, where did she come from? Not just her, but her immaculate Viper, her flight-suit, tattoo, her personality and memories?
If this were a different show I'd be thinking wormholes and quantum duplicates, but this is Galactica and I can't see them going down that path.
I have a sneaky suspicion that this is where the 'Lords Of Kobol' and the various Harveys come into it.

As for Dee...just when I thought this show couldn't surprise me anymore. I guess we should have suspected something was up when she started acting like an actual person for a change, after all the writers did the same thing to Billy.

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What was really odd was the way Leoben reacted to the dead Kara. He seemed genuinely scared. I can't even begin to speculate what all that was about.

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

You know it's bad when Leoben gets freaked out. [Wink]

--------------------

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well he's always been "Mr I-Know-What's-Going-To-Happen" and he just hit the big brick wall of wrongness and his squishy heathen dream girl is apparantly a non-cylon who returned from the dead, while still leaving behind a rotting corpse.
I think his faith in just about everything has been shaken to it's core.

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

Now here's the weird thing that I just realized about Kara finding "her" corpse... We SAW her Viper get crushed into a million pieces. The explosion we saw in "Maelstrom" seemed too big to leave anything like a corpse behind...

So what did we ACTUALLY see?

--------------------

Mikey T
Driven
Member # 144

- posted      Profile for Mikey T     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A transporter beam...

--------------------
"It speaks to some basic human needs: that there is a tomorrow, it's not all going to be over with a big splash and a bomb, that the human race is improving, that we have things to be proud of as humans."
-Gene Roddenberry about Star Trek

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps