Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » General Sci-Fi » $$ BSG 1x19 Someone to Watch Over Me $$ (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: $$ BSG 1x19 Someone to Watch Over Me $$
Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A better paced episode than last week, and of course with more revelations!

* So it seems Reverend wins a cookie, since it's looking very likely that Kara's father is the mystery Final Final Cylon.

* The cassette of Kara's dad reads "Dreilide Thrace - Live at the Helice Opera House". It seems very likely Daddy Thrace is somehow linked to the awakening/recognition of the Final Five. He wrote the music, and played it at what is probably the Opera House.

* There is probably some kind of link between Hera and Kara. Both are presumably hybrids, and both have links to the Opera House.

* Anders is still in some sort of coma, but I'm sure we'll see more of him soon.

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

Daniel Butler
I'm a Singapore where is my boat
Member # 1689

- posted      Profile for Daniel Butler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh, man. When Galen tells the others what he did, wonder what they'll do to him?
MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Somehow, I knew that Hera's drawing was piano notes the moment that she gave them to Kara. Somehow it made me think of those rolling, auto-playing pianos when she held it vertically.

And Boomer is still despicable.

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

- posted      Profile for Mars Needs Women     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And now Galatica is really fucked. Literally, Boomer's jump has pushed the ship beyond the point of no return.
MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And you know whose fault it is? Lee Adama. If he wasn't such a pussy and had actually stepped up for the rescue from New Caprica, then Pegasus would still be around giving the fleet a fighting chance. Now, the fleet's only defense is going to be... the rebel basestar?

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov

Johnny
Member # 878

- posted      Profile for Johnny     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Which is now almost fully repaired.

Hmm. I reckon Galactica will be fixed up enough to jump a few more times. They seem to be in the middle of nowhere right now, so storywise they'll probably need the ship in good enough condition to get to wherever the climax of the series takes place. Or so I'd imagine.

Anyway, pretty good episode. Thankfully everything actually made sense this week so we don't have to read up about missing scenes to understand the story.

My two favourite bits this week were thanks to Bear McCreary. The use of the original series music made me squeal, especially when Kara accused him of ripping off another composer. Perfect. [Smile] And the All Along the Watchtower bit was fantastic musically and because of Tigh's amazing acting eye.

It seems stupid that Kara is asking a piano player in a bar why she came back to life, instead of asking Ellen. Maybe we're meant to assume she asked but Ellen didn't know anything? On the other hand, I felt Kara was subconsciously aware of who he really was, so maybe he seemed like the perfect person to ask. I wonder why she didn't recognise him, or fully acknowledge who he was.

I liked the projection. It kind of reminded me of Generations actually. The look of the place, the concept in general, Tyrol going to the room upstairs and the bit when he went through a door and appeared somewhere else.

Does anyone know how many episodes (or weeks) are left? I keep reading different things. The last three episodes are being shown on one night, I believe. And I think that's in two weeks time.

--------------------
deviantArt page | Online portfolio

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm a sucker for redemption stories: I was hoping Boomer would have gone back to what we'd seen in "Downloaded." Seemingly, she hasn't. OTOH, maybe Boomer has her own plan. [Smile]

Johnny -- Season 4 has a total of 22 episodes, and RAZOR (from a production point) was episodes 1 & 2. This episode was #19, so there are three Fridays left of BSG, but I believe #22 will be two-hours long. Could be wrong.

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

Snay, whatever that plan might be, it involves beating the crap out of Athena, frakking Helo, and drugging Hera. Don't forget that Boomer threatened to kill Hera way back in "Rapture."

I don't think the plan is something we'll like.

--------------------

B.J.
Space Cadet
Member # 858

- posted      Profile for B.J.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That music always sends chills up my back every time I hear it.

I guess the old Boomer really is completely gone, overwritten by her sleeper personality.

Also: Feldgercarb brand toothpaste! BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA! Oh, that'll send the TOS lovers/nuBSG haters over the edge!

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hurrah! I shall one day have ALL the cookies!
*ahem*
To be fair though, Lee called the piano player connection.

So Boomer isn't as redeemed as I had hoped. Bugger.
It must be something in their programming since, with the possible exception of Athena, all the 8's are a bunch of emotionally crippled nutjobs. Now when you consider what Boomer's been put through on top of that personality tendency, it's no wonder she's become quite the bitter and vicious little snake. Really a tragic character and I can understand why she beat seven hells out of Athena since she's effectively stolen her life (name included) and been accepted by the crew for what she is. Boomer on the other hand doesn't belong anywhere and is rejected by everyone except Cavil/John and Galen. So no, I don't think her personality has been overwritten. For that matter, it's never been explained to my satisfaction exactly WHY Boomer was a sleeper in the first place since of the other cylon infiltrators (of which there have been many!) she's the only one we know of that didn't know what she was, except of course for the final five.

The music in the episode and the way it was used almost as another character in the story was by far some of the best work in the whole show to date.

P.S. Hera in the box? Quite possibly the most horrible thing in the series, ever.
P.P.S. Just occurred to me that if Anders originally wrote "Watchtower" and assuming Dreilide Thrace is/was Daniel then there could be a deeper connection between Kara and Anders than we might have previously suspected. Of course it also put's us right smack in the middle of incestville again (Anders being her grandpa and all) but that now seams to be par for the course.

[ February 28, 2009, 11:49 PM: Message edited by: Reverend ]

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

Johnny
Member # 878

- posted      Profile for Johnny     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks, Snay, that clears things up. I few things I read in interviews implied this was the last episode before the finale, so I was getting worried.

--------------------
deviantArt page | Online portfolio

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Snay, whatever that plan might be, it involves beating the crap out of Athena, frakking Helo, and drugging Hera. Don't forget that Boomer threatened to kill Hera way back in "Rapture."

Well -- but what if her plan simply involved needing to get Hera off Galactica?

Okay, her plan didn't neccessarily need to beat the crap out of Athena to accomplish it ... but I agree with Reverend: Athena usurped Boomer's role on the ship, why shouldn't she have some issues with the woman?

As for frakking Hello -- well, she did resist (at first). But I think Boomer remarked once on the sexual tension between herself and Helo during the first season.

As for tranking Hera -- yeah ... but if Boomer needed to get Hera off the ship ...

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

Well, my point was that her plan isn't very likely to have any redeeming aspects to it. Any good that could possibly come from this isn't likely to balance out the tricks she's pulled so far.

--------------------

HerbShrump
Member # 1230

- posted      Profile for HerbShrump     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is Athena the most stable personality of the 8 models?
Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ha ha, I know an imaginary piano player when I see/hear him! I'm actually quite relieved as I'd pointed out my observations on the last ep to my Dad last night, before either of us had seen it (he'll be watching it tomorrow night on the Sky broadcast). I can't believe it's 18 years since I amazed him by figuring out who killed Laura Palmer. . .

It's the first season all over again - danger to children still freaks me out. And I'm going to be a father again, so they've thrown miscarriages in as well as abductions of little four-year-old girls. Fucking fantastic.

Thre episodes left, of which two parts are the finale, apparently one hour then two hours. So, it'll be all over in three weeks (or four hours) unless they decide to throw in another hiatus for old time's sake.

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps